Retro-Bit pays homage to the Nintendo 64

FkYTVjoM.jpeg

Retro-Bit pays homage to the Nintendo 64 with the First Release of their Platinum Collection: The Tribute64:

With the successful reveal of many retro gaming products at CES 2019, Retro-Bit had announced The Platinum Collection. A line of controllers dedicated to some of the biggest retro consoles like the NES, SNES and Nintendo 64. Through GOE Distribution., its exclusive distributor in Europe, Retro-Bit officially unveiled the first controller of its collection: the Tribute64.

The Tribute64 Original Port is designed for exclusive use on the Nintendo 64, while its USB counterpart is compatible with PC, Mac, Steam and the Nintendo Switch and is set to release springtime 2019 in the U.S. and Europe.
The design contrasts the original “M”-shaped Nintendo 64 controller which was initially made for three different hand positions. There had always been sparked debate among the gaming community regarding the look of the original Nintendo 64 controller where its three prongs were conceived to be uncomfortable for gameplay. Retro-Bit made a version of their own and updated to two handles which have been deemed to be more appropriate. Retro-Bit is set to bring a controller for the Nintendo 64 console for €24.99 and USB port for €29.99.

“Retro-Bit indulges with the retrogaming community. There was strong enthusiasm in creating a line of controllers fashioned after the top three retro systems. Beyond the aspect of dedicating a revamped version of the N64 controller, Retro-Bit’s goal is to enrich today’s gaming experience while touching on the retro-gaming side. They are doing that with the release of the Tribute64 and its two port versions that will reach a wide spectrum in compatibility.” says Retro-Bit's’ marketing manager Richard Igros.

One key component of the controller is the high-quality analog stick, which is uniquely made in Japan utilizing the highest grade in their degree system. A primary point for any analog stick on a controller is the dead zone range. The dead zone essentially assists gamers in the accuracy and sensitivity. The higher the dead zone in an analog stick, the more in-sync the gameplay will be with a gamer’s movement. With a dead zone of 120, the Tribute64 also allows for a wider throw range compared to the original Nintendo 64 controller which has a dead zone of 80. Making the analog stick surpassingly sensitive, accurate, and rhythmically fluent.
Retro-Bit's Tribute64 controller features a wide and ergonomic design. The thick and reshaped dual Z shoulder pads provide maximum grip, while the repositioned D-pad grants dual thumb access. It also encompasses features that include a memory card port and rumble pak and a larger start button.
The redesigned Nintendo 64 dedicated controller will come in three colors: Red, Forest Green and Ocean Blue and in original and USB ports.

XdDWrJnE.png bCLXnNGg.png ZYjYNSI4.png NQEdq33g.png wxaiaCsU.png
8_el067Y.png
uGKo8h9s.png cSSp4VKc.png yfd5EPK8.png J4iXnlbA.png

Retro-Bit also unveiled the wireless 2.4 ghz Tribute64 controller which will be later released in 2019 in colors Blue and Red.
All versions of the Tribute64 will be available on various e-commerce sites and your local video game stores in North America and Europe.

:arrow:Retro-Bit Official site
:arrow:GBAtemp Retro-Bit reviews

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those unaware, this design is based off of Hori’s N64 controller. Given the super high price those go for these days, a new version imitating that, if the quality is equally as good, is a mighty welcome addition. I look forward to seeing user reviews once people get their hands on these.

Last edited by Spikey,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hell yes, this looks like a big upgrade in the ergonomics department, and I'm betting that stick will stay tight much longer than OEM ones. Sold.

Now I only have to decide between the green and blue. :unsure:

Last edited by Xzi,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This actually looks very bad ... would have thought about buying one if it was the Original N64 design as I liked the N64 Controller very much (even though I kinda hated the Design before trying it myself for the first time)
For me The original one worked really well and I would love to play smash with the original N64 Controller on my Switch

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why companies are trying to replicate the incredibly uncomfortable controllers of the 90's - contemporary ones are better. To be fair, this one is a "tribute" controller, but still.
Well yeah, if this were a standard bluetooth or USB controller I wouldn't really be interested. It's specifically built to be used with original hardware and incorporate N64 controller attachments, though, and that's what makes it appealing.

This actually looks very bad ... would have thought about buying one if it was the Original N64 design as I liked the N64 Controller very much (even though I kinda hated the Design before trying it myself for the first time)
For me The original one worked really well and I would love to play smash with the original N64 Controller on my Switch
I've got a few OEM N64 controllers now, and I can tell you that they are not great for use with adult hands. The tiny right-side grip becomes a problem, and the sticks wear out very quickly. Best N64 controller I've got has a Gamecube-style stick mod, actually.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well yeah, if this were a standard bluetooth or USB controller I wouldn't really be interested. It's specifically built to be used with original hardware and incorporate N64 controller attachments, though, and that's what makes it appealing.
That's my point - I would like a modern layout with original hardware compatibility and the all-important add-on port. That'd be pretty dope.

Reactions: x65943 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's my point - I would like a modern layout with original hardware compatibility and the all-important add-on port. That'd be pretty dope.
Fair enough, though modern layouts all include a second stick, so I can also see their reasoning behind going with a classic design. Particularly one that previously had low availability.

D

Deleted-401606

For those unaware, this design is based off of Hori’s N64 controller. Given the super high price those go for these days, a new version imitating that, if the quality is equally as good, is a mighty welcome addition. I look forward to seeing user reviews once people get their hands on these.
Why is the horin64 controller so much more money?

Reactions: CoolStarDood

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Out of all the third party N64 controllers the Hori one is the most well-known and popular. Personally, I think this one is the best.

jig30tbb8b9y.jpg
same they should have gone woth this design the tribute 64 dpad being so close to the a and b and being in the middle makes it impossible to use on games that have the option, srs how can you use the dpad and buttons on any game with that design of tribute 64?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1