Retro-Bit pays homage to the Nintendo 64

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by T-hug, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    I remember having this exact controller growing up, loved it to death. but I must have hated it too because I busted it by throwing it against the floor too many times in my rage against games and my lack of skill lol.

[​IMG]

Armadillo likes this.
  2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If that's a modern layout to you, you're using very weird controllers. This is a copycat of an ancient game pad. :P

3. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I do admit it looks like the original Xbox controller, which was a huge thing. But that's still modern... unless I'm that old that it's already considered classic, which could be the case!

4. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    RIP Kirby 64, Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

5. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    yeah I knew it was the Hori design and I was feeling like " yeah great design and stuff as they say, but imiating something someone already does"
    I think they could have made a new design instead of a clone, but yeah it looks good, is good and cheaper than hori I would get one XD

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    This is mimicking one of the (many) third-party N64 controllers, and the d-pad is still in the same silly spot.

Jonna likes this.
  7. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Oh god. I only started every looking at third party controllers around the Xbox 360/PS3 generation because the controllers became wireless and more expensive. I didn't even think about third party controllers in the days of the N64/PS1, so that makes sense .

Memoir likes this.
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, back then third-party controllers were often as good or better than the ones that came with the console. Let's just say that the big three were still trying to figure out how these things should work and sometimes they were quite a bit off the mark. To me the original N64 controller is still completely asinine, but I guess that's a matter of preference.

9. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    +1 for the makopad & superpad pictured. I have one of each, look weird, but nice to use.

This is a bit weird, the d-pad was always meh on the hori pad and bad for games were it was the primary control, so dunno why you would replicate it.

10. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Nostalgia. I used to think it was a great controller and still held up until I had to actually play an N64 with the original controller instead of using a USB/Bluetooth controller on a PC. iiiiiiick, don't know how younger me managed it so well.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    When it comes to childhood things the answer is usually "smaller hands". Nowadays when I try to play on a PS1/2/3 controller it feels like I'm holding a miniature version of it with two loaves of bread for hands.

Jonna likes this.
  12. SScorpio

SScorpio Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Sounds like you need a Duke. For all the complaints it got, I found it extremely comfortable.

If you want a modern design on an N64 controller, I like the Brawler64 from Retro Fighters. They are compatible with memory cards and rumble packs, but don't work with the GB transfer pack.
    https://retrofighters.com/our-collection/brawler64-nextgen-n64-controller-gray/

13. Risteing

Risteing Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Argentina
    Best N64 controller. I beat Super Mario 64 with that.

leafeon34 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't particularly like the Duke, or the Dreamcast controller, but I did enjoy the Xbox S controller quite a bit. Its only flaws to me were the black and white buttons - I'm sure they were there due to some patent shenanigans, but proper shoulder buttons would've been so much better.

I did see the Brawler controller, I'm pretty sure we reviewed it before and it seems like a perfect fit for someone like me.

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Sorry guys but this is not a good design. I couldn't imagine playing D-pad games like Mischief Makers on this. Looks like it would force my thumb to an uncomfortable angle.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  16. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Like the hori one I'd assume?

I don't NOT like this design, but I've become so adjusted to the trident and playing shooters using the c buttons to move that this would just feel awkward...

Jonna likes this.
  17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I used to have the Hori controller when I was a kid, used to prefer the OG to that TBH, mostly because of the D-pad being in the middle which is dumb (IMO). Seeing this, I can honestly say I'd still think the same really.

But hey, some people liked it so I guess there's a market for it.

18. kcajjones

kcajjones Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2008
    I really can't be bothered with old consoles with wired controllers, they just don't reach the sofa in my lounge. tvs are massive these days, I have a full home theatre speaker setup and I don't want to sit 2 foot from the screen. Why doesn't someone make a wireless receiver and controllers for the n64?!

19. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    It doesn't look that bad to me. I'm not sure if I would want to buy it, but I've certainly seen much worse controllers.

20. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Considering how muxh N64 controllers break, this might become a good option.