Retro-Bit pays homage to the Nintendo 64

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by T-hug, Apr 26, 2019.

1. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Finally got around to using my Brawler 64 controller. In Mario 64 it was harder to do sharp backwards movements--might have just been me used to the old controller, I guess. Used the Superpad 64 for a while and it was actually really good. That's the one they should be cloning, IMHO.

2. jacksprat1990

jacksprat1990 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    As an owner of both the original controller and the Hori controller, I am firmly in the camp that thinks the original is better. The original feels good when using the analog grip or the d-pad grip. I can't really think of any games that require you to use both the analogue stick and d-pad at the same time so I'm not sure why it gets so much hate. It probably has the best Nintendo d-pad too, in my opinion of course.

3. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Wow, still as awful as the original. This and Dreamcast controllers are pronanpr my least favorite

4. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Google search for dpad and analogy n64

5. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    In analog mode used by most games, correct. In d-pad mode, used by a few games (like the AKI developed wrestling games) however, it's just about the most comfortable controller around (and I had "adult hands" when it first came out). This new controller looks like it will absolutely suck for the latter.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Extension cables are a thing but yeah, it's a hassle.
    8bitdo makes wireless receivers and controllers for 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, I guess N64 and PSX is up next? :)
    I think the Retro Fighters one is the one I'd go with. The layout is much better than this.
    But I'm one of those people that actually like the original N64 controller and the nostalgia it comes with. I find it to be very comfortable and there's really no better way to feel like it's the 90s again. But I guess for those that never liked the N64 controller to begin with and always opted for 3rd party controllers, modern takes on the design are perfect for them.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Apr 26, 2019
  7. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    "You thought the original N64 controller was weird? Just wait until you see our fucking monstrosity"

8. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    But it isn’t theirs. It’s a remake of the contemporary Hori Mini.

9. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Thanks for the reminder, I think my N64 control deck came in the mail some time after you had published that one. Forgot all about it. Too bad it's also sold out right now, so I guess I'll wait to see what reviews have to say about the Tribute64.

10. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    Dual stick 2 plug controller for games which use 2 controllers for dual analog mode when?

11. Wanderer0891

Wanderer0891 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Yeah I'm not feeling that dpad either.

12. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    This is great in all but I really want Nintendo to get some Vc n64 games for the switch,so we could hopefully have an official Nintendo or 3rd party n64 controller for the switch. A really in a want an n64 controller for retroarch on switch.

13. Maluma

Maluma GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    I meant why is the hori 160+used while the retrobit that looks the same is 25 new?

14. skinnyBIGGS

skinnyBIGGS Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    Canada
    Just get a adapter and use xbox360 ps3 ps4 and others for controllers for the n64... or be a god abd create your own in a 3d printer..