Sonic & All-Stars Facing Transformed
Scribblenauts Unlimited
ESPN Sports Connection
Assassin's Creed III
SiNG PARTY
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Just Dance 4

If you were considering buying one (or more) of these games and you don't like switching disks, you might want to consider getting the download version. Note however that a lot of these have a comment about not being installable on the basic without an external hard drive, so I assume you won't be able to fit very many on the Wii U without a hard drive.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also keep in mind that if you got a deluxe console, you earn back 10% on all your purchases in reward points. So basically on a 59.99 game, you get back 599 points (December I think you can start redeeming them, more info is still forthcoming on this). If it works as it did previously, that's like getting 5.99 to spend in the store, pretty good deal if you're getting 3 or 4 titles at launch.

I personally returned the two games I had purchased after I saw I could get them in the eShop and not have to deal with discs. Hooked up a Toshiba 1TB drive on the usb port and I'm loading all my games to it for now.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something just don't seem right about paying full retail price for a virtual item. I'm thinking that when you buy from a retail store, there are people besides the developers that get paid, like the store employees, truck drivers, disc manufacturers, etc....

Shouldn't you be able to save a few dollars when purchasing virtual items from the eShop?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Something just don't seem right about paying full retail price for a virtual item. I'm thinking that when you buy from a retail store, there are people besides the developers that get paid, like the store employees, truck drivers, disc manufacturers, etc....

Shouldn't you be able to save a few dollars when purchasing virtual items from the eShop?
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to think otherwise. This makes buying retail carts or discs always preferable, since they can drop in prices (eShop retail titles rarely (never?) drop in price), and they can be sold if you get bored of them. Although, I will admit, for the Wii U, if you got young kids who are going to handle the discs, you should definitely consider buying the eShop version. Kids can screw up a disc amazingly fast.:cry:

Supercool330

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, I really like the idea of not having to keep track of discs, and it is really cool to be able to get games at midnight when they come out (I did this with Paper Mario Sticker Star and it was awesome). At the same time, digital download has some major downsides. For one, because of the way the Nintendo store works, if you console breaks it can be really hard to get your games back. With Nintendo download titles I always feel like I am leasing a game instead of buying it. Furthermore, it is impossible to lend a download game to a friend, whereas I lend out my disc games all the time. This is why on the Wii, I bought all my games at retail, created rips which I put on my NAS, and then use USB loaders to use them. That way you get the best of every world. No question of ownership (you have the original game in a box forever), you don't need to worry about the discs getting scratched or your console dying (as you have the data archived), and you never have to switch discs. I would love it if Nintendo could find a way to implement this sort of system out of the box, but they never will as it makes piracy far too easy (or you have to put so much protection in place that you loose all of the aforementioned benefits). I sort of hate DLC for console games as it really screws with my inner archivist.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Retailers think otherwise. If they price disks higher while people can get them in the official online store for cheaper, where do you think most people will buy their games? Ninty does this to prevent upsetting retailers.

Reactions: Traversal

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it weird how people are going all "God damn it Nintendo with your pricing...!" when everyone's retail games are retail priced. It's the same way on Steam at first (Black Ops 2 is $60 there too). I've heard that developers can control their pricing so probably they can reduce the price later on if they choose to. Like on Steam.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to think otherwise. This makes buying retail carts or discs always preferable, since they can drop in prices (eShop retail titles rarely (never?) drop in price), and they can be sold if you get bored of them. Although, I will admit, for the Wii U, if you got young kids who are going to handle the discs, you should definitely consider buying the eShop version. Kids can screw up a disc amazingly fast.:cry:

Let me guess, frisbee? Anyway, there is no doubt that the loading times have the potential to be much faster on the solid state rather than using the disc. I don't know off the top of my head the read/write speed for the solid state storage in the wii U, but it is certainly faster than the optical disc

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard the disc loading time on the launch titles isn't that great. Anyone tested booting an eShop game from flash or USB?

For reference: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...ads-tilt-sensitivity-rocks-two-screen-gaming/ Table at the bottom shows their tests on disc load time.

Loading from an external 1TB Toshiba HDD isn't too bad, when I load up ZombiU or NSMBU it takes about 30 - 45 seconds initially and then you're in the game. I noticed some complaints about ZombiU load times, but really from the HDD I didn't think it was that lengthy. I always got good transfer speeds from it on my computer so I'm guessing it's performing a little faster then an optical disc would, but not sure how much time it ends up shaving off...

Reactions: Hasney

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What we really need is a side by side comparison. Anybody have a good HDMI capture card?
I have one. Don't have a Wii U yet though but I've preordered one so I'll pick it up as soon as it gets released here in EU.

I have no plans to buy the same game in a retail store and on the eShop just so I can compare load times though.

Supercool330

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just found out that you can't move a save from one Wii U to another, thus you won't be able to take a game to a buddies house without taking your whole console (or not using your save), removing one of the largest incentives to buy physical games.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my master plan: I work at Walmart where I get a 10% discount. I also bought a Deluxe Wii U so I get 10% back on Eshop purchases. So I'll buy Eshop cards at Walmart with my discount, and buy retail games on the Eshop and get 10% back, essentially paying only 80% for games!

Reactions: Magsor

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Here are the size of the games on Eshop
Nano Assault Neo – 81 MB
Chasing Aurora – 103 MB
Little Inferno – 114 MB
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition – 525 MB
Scribblenaust Unlimited – 1.3 GB
ESPN Sports Connection – 1.6 GB
Game Party Champions – 1.7 GB
New Super Marios Bro.s U – 1.7 GB
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 – 1.9 GB
Trine 2: Director’s Cut – 1.9 GB
Nintendoland – 2.8 GB
Madden NFL 13 – 4.8 GB
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge – 5.4 GB
ZombiU – 5.7 GB
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed – 5.8 GB
Rabbids Land – 7.3 GB
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13 – 7.4 GB
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two – 7.5 GB
Darksiders II – 9.5 GB
Sing Party – 12 GB
Just Dance 4 – 15 GB
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper – 16 GB
Assassins Creed III – 17 GB

source WiiUhax.com

Reactions: Lanlan

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are the size of the games on Eshop
Nano Assault Neo – 81 MB
Chasing Aurora – 103 MB
Little Inferno – 114 MB
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition – 525 MB
Scribblenaust Unlimited – 1.3 GB
ESPN Sports Connection – 1.6 GB
Game Party Champions – 1.7 GB
New Super Marios Bro.s U – 1.7 GB
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 – 1.9 GB
Trine 2: Director’s Cut – 1.9 GB
Nintendoland – 2.8 GB
Madden NFL 13 – 4.8 GB
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge – 5.4 GB
ZombiU – 5.7 GB
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed – 5.8 GB
Rabbids Land – 7.3 GB
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13 – 7.4 GB
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two – 7.5 GB
Darksiders II – 9.5 GB
Sing Party – 12 GB
Just Dance 4 – 15 GB
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper – 16 GB
Assassins Creed III – 17 GB

source WiiUhax.com
Someone should make a thread with this info and sticky it

dtp30

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about release dates? Will they still be split between regions? Like EU/USA/JAP ect? Or will an eshop title be available the same date to everyone?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up