ROM Hack Question [REQUEST] Ys VIII save editor

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
@Slade.AU I have all the free DLC that's included in the switch version + the 2 free sets available from the e-shop. For clarity they're called:

Yeah, I'm indeed running a legit copy.

Thanks so much for this.

Ok, so by the looks of it, all I need to install is free set 1 & 2. The rest just come with the game, it seems ?
I'll have a look at it after work today. It's been hellishly busy lately, so I haven't had a lot of free time.

It shouldn't be too hard though (famous last words) !! It's just time consuming to dump the ram.

ctrlaltdelete

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ok, so by the looks of it, all I need to install is free set 1 & 2. The rest just come with the game, it seems ?
Correct.

I'll have a look at it after work today. It's been hellishly busy lately, so I haven't had a lot of free time.

It shouldn't be too hard though (famous last words) !! It's just time consuming to dump the ram.
Really appreciate it man.

Last edited by ctrlaltdelete,

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
Correct.

Really appreciate it man.

Ok, so I got the save imported. One minor issue, one potentially major.

1/ My Switch went flat and is now charging (the minor issue)
2/ There's a shit tonne of things unlocked, but you have 0 of them. That's the major problem. Without something to search for, it's going to be a massive challenge, and I don't know where in the game you are.
The only item you seem to have more than 1 of is the Thick Hide, along with a few items in the Solid Med. section.

Hopefully I can exit where you are, find somewhere easy and gain some items. Otherwise, I'm shooting blind in ram, which generally just causes crashes.

ctrlaltdelete

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The materials you obtain during the Dana (past) parts are automatically transfered back to Adol's inventory in the present once you finish her parts. Those materials aren't even of any use to Dana since she cannot use or trade them anywhere. The only inventory items worth editing in Dana's inventory (save 001) are the stat boosters (Power, Defense and Life Elixer), the item that increases your lvl by 1 (Tempest Elixer) and Essence Fragments (the currency in Dana's part). Those don't carry over and are hard to get in Dana's timeline. Save 002 has Adol's inventory with more than 0 of all the materials and medicine and such.

Edit: I've found the location of the important items in Dana's inventory:
xrl1yTh.png

The 01 is for Tempest Elixers
The 00 05, 00 04 and 00 05 for Power, Defense and Life Elixers (respectively)
The 00 35 for Essence Fragments

Give me a minute and I can most likely get you Adol's inventory too.

Edit2: This is Adol's inventory of save 001 (including the 6 Thick Hides)
https://imgur.com/a/XCdPMC1
Adventuring Gear is probably too risky to edit, since they're key items.
@Slade.AU

Last edited by ctrlaltdelete,

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
The materials you obtain during the Dana (past) parts are automatically transfered back to Adol's inventory in the present once you finish her parts. Those materials aren't even of any use to Dana since she cannot use or trade them anywhere. The only inventory items worth editing in Dana's inventory (save 001) are the stat boosters (Power, Defense and Life Elixer), the item that increases your lvl by 1 (Tempest Elixer) and Essence Fragments (the currency in Dana's part). Those don't carry over and are hard to get in Dana's timeline. Save 002 has Adol's inventory with more than 0 of all the materials and medicine and such.

Edit: I've found the location of the important items in Dana's inventory:
xrl1yTh.png

The 01 is for Tempest Elixers
The 00 05, 00 04 and 00 05 for Power, Defense and Life Elixers (respectively)
The 00 35 for Essence Fragments

Give me a minute and I can most likely get you Adol's inventory too.

Edit2: This is Adol's inventory of save 001 (including the 6 Thick Hides)
https://imgur.com/a/XCdPMC1
Adventuring Gear is probably too risky to edit, since they're key items.
@Slade.AU

I'm like the fat kid on a cupcake. All over it :)

lWMf3j4

Bed now, but will get the save uploaded tomorrow.

Ok, imgur links don't work for me. Fuck them :-/

29kx5ec.jpg

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm doing a ram edit, not a save edit. There's a big difference :) A lot of these games are using pointers (there's base address and anywhere from one to dozens of additional offset addresses that "point" to the memory location that stores the value). These can change each time you enter / leave a room, every few minutes, or not at all in the same game session. It depends on the game / developer / engine the game is running on. The next time I look at the game, it's going to have different memory locations for the same values.

Need sleep now. I've been running around on around 5hrs sleep a day for a while now, and I'm going a little crazy :-/

Last edited by Slade.AU,

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
I have a feeling you haven't actually unlocked everything. There is a huge amount of empty space in the ram, often between items, which is why I suspect you're missing things still. No big deal. I should be able to find them easily enough later on.

Drop this into your save folder and restore your original save. Make a fresh backup if you need, and just copy the directory across. I've saved the updated game to Slot 5. You're in the same basic area, but not the same room as before. You will need to work your way back down to where you were. I'm just hoping that after all that, I haven't just edited the screen memory :) I guess the only way to find out is to use a hell of a lot of the items and see if they drop from 999 to 0 really quickly !

Let me know if it works.

Attachments

• data0005.zip
    110 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I didn't know there was a big difference. I thought the only difference was that with RAM editing you didn't have to dump and inject saves all the time but instead you could just edit stuff while playing. I didn't think that addresses would be different.

All that empty space is probably items Dana isn't supposed to be able to get. The game swaps between Adol's time (present) and Dana's time (past) and they each have their own inventory. Adol's inventory can obtain every item and material, but Dana can only get about half of them (she doesn't need all those things). Dana's inventory is automatically transfered to Adol when you go back to Adol's time.

I was able to inject the file without any issue, and you left Dana right next to a crystal that lets her teleport to the room she was in before. ;) I used a couple of items and they all went down by 1 per use, so I think everything worked out fine! I also played ahead a little bit to see if anything crashes but everything seems to be in order. Thank you very much for this, now I can finally finish the game without having to grind for ages. :D

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
I didn't know there was a big difference. I thought the only difference was that with RAM editing you didn't have to dump and inject saves all the time but instead you could just edit stuff while playing. I didn't think that addresses would be different.

All that empty space is probably items Dana isn't supposed to be able to get. The game swaps between Adol's time (present) and Dana's time (past) and they each have their own inventory. Adol's inventory can obtain every item and material, but Dana can only get about half of them (she doesn't need all those things). Dana's inventory is automatically transfered to Adol when you go back to Adol's time.

I was able to inject the file without any issue, and you left Dana right next to a crystal that lets her teleport to the room she was in before. ;) I used a couple of items and they all went down by 1 per use, so I think everything worked out fine! I also played ahead a little bit to see if anything crashes but everything seems to be in order. Thank you very much for this, now I can finally finish the game without having to grind for ages. :D

Awesome, I'm glad it worked for you. Hopefully it stopped that grinding to get ahead.
I had no idea when I left Dana... I just went back into the dungeon and down a level or two, cleared out the enemies and saved. Good to know I helped there as well :)

I might go find another game to cheat at :)
If you need anymore help, just let me know.

Reactions: ctrlaltdelete

unknowndatax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do any of you know any offsets already by any chance then?
At around 0xC0B4, the location of where the game stores if you found/bought an item is located. This is important if you want to add items yourself. From what I can tell, the game uses 6 out of 8 bits per byte. An example to add: thin, thick, beast, and ancient hide.

Go to location 0xC100, set to 0x74, 0x01
Go to location 0xb74e, set to 0xe7, 0x03, 0xe7, 0x03, 0xe7, 0x03, 0xe7, 0x03

This will give you 999 of each items.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs