Hacking Request: Offline Wii firmware up/downgrade tool

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there any reason for nintendo to keep IOS versions with the signing bug online? I mean, when you do an online update, you get the newest version anyway from nintendo, so why is it still possible to download 3.2 firmware from the official severs?

I think of an application which lets you select your desired firmware version, looks if all neccesssary files are on the sd card and downloads all files missing. When this is completed you are asked again if you want to install or not.

I know that it is illegal to upload the IOS files from nintendo, but with this application you could download the files directly from the nintendo servers with your PC and keep them for later purposes. With md5 checksums or similiar you could also check if you are getting unmodified files.

What do YOU think of this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The files present on the Nintendo servers are more updates of the original firmware than full firmware.

When the Wii update, it download only the new files needed to update (patch) the actual installed IOS. It doesn't download it again fully.
If you have an old Wii never updated, or updated with an old game using the signing bug, you need only the "new" additional files to patch your firmware.

That's the way the Wii is working, if they change it, people with Wii bought on launch day and wishing to update online could not do it anymore.

The files needed to be download are numbered, and the Wii take the ones which are missing.
for example, if your wii has already this (Wii system menu):
00000001/00000002
00000001/00000003
00000001/00000004

it will download only next files numbered :
00000001/00000005
00000001/00000006
and so on

(PS: If I said something wrong, feel free to correct me)

edit : added example and typo

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok, i get it all files on the servers have the signing bug fixed. I still think a program like this could be useful, for example for people without internet, or people who are afraid of auto-updates(if they exist or not does not matter for this). Maybe this could ne used for something big, a tool for all update/downgrade and patch purposes.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiPower said:
with this application you could download the files directly from the nintendo servers with your PC and keep them for later purposes. With md5 checksums or similar you could also check if you are getting unmodified files.

What do YOU think of this?

You don't need a specific application to download the files on your computer.
(but you need some additional files, like .tmd)

edit : I understood what you meant. an application which donwload only the files needed, and not all, and create the tmd.
That's what the downgrader is doing, taking only the needed files.
edit2 : there is an PC application doing that already (linux only) : http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Update_Downloader

I think cSM include something like a new server update, the Wii will only update with the private server.
maybe it could include an update limit, instead of downloading all the files up to the last, make updates being made step by step. 3.3v1 -> 3.3v2 -> 3.4v1 -> 3.4v2

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cyan said:
You don't need a specific application to download the files on your computer.
(but you need some additional files, like .tmd)

I thought you need a special application to do this? I don't like the idea of using someone's personal server to update my wii, i would prefer files on my sd card for this even if my wii was connected to the internet.

Thank you for your informations, i'm starting to think that the usefulness of the program i was talking about is not that big as i thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo