ROM Hack [Request] Hans compatible Virtue's Last Reward patch?

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Virtue's Last Reward is a good game, but unfortunately it suffers from a save-breaking bug that as far as I'm aware, was patched but didn't quite fix the bug itself (Correct me if I'm wrong), as well as a few other minor details like imprecise text-wrapping and less detailed models compared to the Vita version. Someone earlier this year attempted to add the NTSC only voices to a rom hack/patch too, but it appears to have been left in the dust.

Would it be possible (and is someone willing to step up) to make a Virtue's Last Reward (Hans) patch/hack that improves on both the NTSC and PAL versions? I assume the list of changes would go in this order from most important to least:
  1. Fixing the crash save bug to allow the game to save properly during escape segments.
  2. Integrating the english dubbed voices from the NTSC version into PAL (This would obviously be not needed for the NTSC version.)
  3. Text needs revising and wrapping needs fixing as sometimes it can cause the text to roll over the bottom of the text box.
  4. This one I'm not sure about, but maybe it could be possible to overlay the models/textures from the Vita on the 3DS version? If not then let's leave it at that.
Anything else worth mentioning? This is all I can remember concerning this game, so if I've left anything out be sure to let me know. Hopefully it'll be more doable now that Hans is out.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,
Reactions: AutumnWolf

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The save bug I don't know if it would be possible, the voices however maybe, I haven't looked into the PAL game personally but you could try getting the PAL romfs (either by dumping or that one site) along with the NTSC one and see what's different. For the meantime you could just import VLR and play it using regionfour.

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The save bug I don't know if it would be possible, the voices however maybe, I haven't looked into the PAL game personally but you could try getting the PAL romfs (either by dumping or that one site) along with the NTSC one and see what's different. For the meantime you could just import VLR and play it using regionfour.

I've indeed imported an NTSC copy already and I've been enjoying it thus far, but this would help those who are unable to do that. Adding the other features would also help as it's basically making the gameplay and graphics a bit more enjoyable and robust.

Reactions: AutumnWolf

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Weren't the english dubs included in the PAL cartridge only released in UK ?
Of course I totally agree with the idea of patching the save crash.

Nope. All PAL versions of the game never got the english dubs due to the game being put out by different publishers, with Aksys Games publishing it in US and EUR markets getting it through Rising Star who opted not to use the english dub, but still used Aksys' translated subtitles. Effectively this meant that the NTSC version exclusively got the english dub.

Cuber456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually don't like to dig up old threads but I wanted to provide some sort of comment.
  1. Fixing the crash save bug to allow the game to save properly during escape segments.
  2. Integrating the english dubbed voices from the NTSC version into PAL (This would obviously be not needed for the NTSC version.)
  3. Text needs revising and wrapping needs fixing as sometimes it can cause the text to roll over the bottom of the text box.
  4. This one I'm not sure about, but maybe it could be possible to overlay the models/textures from the Vita on the 3DS version? If not then let's leave it at that.

1. At the moment, I'm not sure how far we could get creating any sort of patch for the game. In order to prevent the crashing, we have to understand why the game is crashing. It's possible to dump the game's memory while in the PEC room using something like NTR CFW. That would at least give us something to analyze. However, I think we also need to apply breakpoints to analyze what the code is actually doing to the memory. That feature isn't available yet to my knowledge. When all these features are available then a real analysis can begin.
  2. I'm going to be lazy here. If you can run any sort of game patch to begin with then just import the North American version of the game and run RegionFour.
  3. If I recall, the only two instances where this happened were under the archives in the secrets tab. That shouldn't be too difficult to fix because it's just text formatting. Regardless, if you want to see what the hidden text says then click here.
  4. I'm not sure if the models and textures between the 3DS and Vita versions differ that greatly (if at all). Here is an example; check out Phi's 3DS model and her Vita in game model:
jfXiLLR.png
2377169-zero_escape_vol._2__virtue_s_last_reward.jpg
VLRsc02.jpg

What does differ between the 3DS and Vita hardware is the screen resolution so it isn't far fetched to say that is why the Vita version looks better. With that, I'm not sure replacing the 3DS version's assets would necessarily be worth it.​

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
About 2 and 3, the point of making a patch like this (Aside from fixing crashing) is exactly for people who don't have the american version in the first place but rather the PAL version. It's pretty tempting to do so unless if you don't know about the differences between the two either as price inflation differences between countries can make the price a bit ridiculous.

It actually extends beyond that too. Some points in the games events proper might have a pronounciation error that isn't addressed or explained (By "explained" I mean Sigma's cat puns for example.), making it not intentional. The models was just something else I came across that was different between 3DS and Vita. I've never had a Vita so I wouldn't know about the resolution. If anything that can be left alone which is why it's low priority.

At any rate if this is something that's not possible yet, then we can wait.

ThomasRobertWade

Trophies
XP
I would be interested if someone who has the US version could make a HANS compatible patch for the PAL version to add in the translation. I only have the eShop version myself.

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's come to my attention that there was a workaround to the save glitch put into the digital version of VLR, that being to make saving impossible in a certain area where the glitch occurs. So really all that'd be needed is to put that into the patch probably by cross-referencing the digital and physical version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Shape, swing @AncientBoi 's sword