[Request] DSi Softmodding without paid apps or soldering.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Sharkhunter03, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Sharkhunter03
    OP

Sharkhunter03 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    United States
    Watching nuclear graphite burn.
    Greetings :D,
    I request that someone list or possibly discover a way to softmod the DSi without SUDOKUHAX, COOKHAX, soldering, etc. This is probably impossible, and I should be looking myself. I would use SUDOKUHAX or similar, but I can't due to it's removal from the DSiWare shop and the DSiWare shop shutdown. (The DSiWare Shop Shutdown is so devastating, It should have it's own logo on CNN.) Anyway, it could range from flashcard replacement to just something that plays unsupported audio formats. Anyway, any response is helpful.
    -ET

2. Pony1993

Pony1993 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Not happening, sorry mate. The DSi is prettymuch a dead horse not worth kicking back to life, given it's age. And many of the DSi exploits wouldn't work on 3DS anyhow, since the 3DS uses TWL_FIRM instead of DSi hardware.

4. Sharkhunter03
    OP

Sharkhunter03 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    United States
    Watching nuclear graphite burn.
    Ok. That is what I expected
    -ET

Last edited by Sharkhunter03, Dec 14, 2016
  5. Rubberduckycooly

Rubberduckycooly Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    i am looking for exploits in some system apps, but i can't accualy go any further than the "would this work" stage becasue i can't really code C/C++
    i do have some therorys though... one is to make a homebrew launcher disguised ask a m4a/jpg to get the sound app/ camera to load it. but i dont know how to make that... :/

6. nocash123

nocash123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2015
    Afghanistan
    That theories aren't excactly new. In fact,they are so old that most people have probably forgotten about them being theoretically possible ages ago (so thanks for reminding).
    For making/finding exploits you would only need ASM language, so, for good or bad, your (absent) C/C++ coding skills won't matter here.

Other than that, you could try crash the console using a hex editor without any programming knowledge, ie. hex edit some jpg or audio files, and try to load them on DSi. Audio files might be easier (jpg's are difficult because they require signatures, see gbatek.htm for details on the DSi's jpg exif headers). I don't know if that would lead anywhere, but if you should really find a way to crash the DSi then it might be worth checking if there's a way to launch custom code through it.

I pwned U! likes this.