WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi was just wondering if this mod has been attempted? they are pretty crummy when a jig loses all charge after like 1 startup.

P3T3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe replace the capacitors! My one holds allot of startups!
Theory it’s should work but battery would provide constant power where as the capacitors hold charge and realise when needed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it has been attempted either. The caps are there as they are long term more reliable than a battery would be*, no high current needs or anything like that (not that most supercaps do well with high draw) and if the device is only needed sporadically for a few seconds each time (and then gets power once it is done) then caps can be justified as a design decision.
Do remember to check what voltage the whole arrangement uses -- most supercaps are really low voltage limit so in practice designers will often series wind them to double the voltage limit (and half the capacitance).

*see also all those game carts that need battery replacements, most N64 memory paks, most rechargeable devices over about 6 years old and so on and so on.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder if they are just garbage capacitors. ill look into replacing them. i bought another dongle from the same place as the one that is having the problem just to investigate, and its doing the same thing! 1-2 startup and then it just goes flat (urgh)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1