o0ICE0o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey.
smile.gif

I've got a DS lite that has damaged hinges, scratched up screens, and I think a blown fuse.
(younger sibling's; I always love my electronics)

I have little funds, so I need to know exactly what parts to get, and where to get them.

I was thinking I might try a case mod while I'm at it.
I'm usually good with repairing electronics, and it is going to be all the way apart anyway; so why not.

Ebay looks to have the parts, but I don't know what's overpriced or not.

Thanks guys.
ph34r.gif

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't go with eBay for parts, try DealExtreme if you don't mind waiting for your stuff to arrive.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
o0ICE0o said:
I've got a DS lite that has damaged hinges, scratched up screens, and I think a blown fuse.

I'd say, abandon ship - get new one.

Touch screen is relatively easy, a tft is relatively easy - but a fuse, both Finding and soldering one in is probably a hardcore thing to try score in - I would say to save for new lite before trying that out.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allright from my point of view. You say the screens are scratched but they're not. The top screen has a plastic covering the actual screen and the bottom screen is protected by touchscreen digitizer. Now the price for replacing what is needed to make things work

New shell (includes top screen replacement plastic cover) = ~$12
DS lite replacement touch screen digitizer = ~$4
Replacement DS lite motherboard = ~$65
Skills to disassemble and reassemble = priceless
tongue.gif

Total= ~$81

Cost of a new DS lite = $169

I think you could go with replacing everything. The one advantage to it is you can get a custom shell.

Edit: To get the shell and touch screen digitizer, go on Dealextreme (2 weeks min of waiting)
For the replacement motherboard, try consolezombie.com. I bought one from them as I screwed up my manager's daughter's DS while replacing top screen and it works great now

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
BlackDave said:
Allright from my point of view. You say the screens are scratched but they're not. The top screen has a plastic covering the actual screen and the bottom screen is protected by touchscreen digitizer. Now the price for replacing what is needed to make things work

New shell (includes top screen replacement plastic cover) = ~$12
DS lite replacement touch screen digitizer = ~$4
Replacement DS lite motherboard = ~$65
Skills to disassemble and reassemble = priceless
tongue.gif

Total= ~$81

I think you could go with replacing everything. The one advantage to it is you can get a custom shell.

Edit: To get the shell and touch screen digitizer, go on Dealextreme (2 weeks min of waiting)
For the replacement motherboard, try consolezombie.com. I bought one from them as I screwed up my manager's daughter's DS while replacing top screen and it works great now

From experience, I can tell that the original touchscreen is reliable as rock solid godhand unless you yourself press and destroy it, where the Dealextreme digitizers could take a hike whatever moment they please.

also, the feel of new fresh untampered DS is quite good too.

also, I do not think they actually sell DS lite motherboards anywhere - I would bet only easy way to obtain one, is to buy new DS lite - but I can be corrected with this with handy link to store what happens to sell them just like that

o0ICE0o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soldering the fuse is no problem... I have worked on these tine components before... It's just the problem of finding them.

I'm just trying to fix a dead DS that was just going to be trashed.

I could live with the scratches on the lower screen, but not the top... but I guess thats ok with the top being replaceable, and the bottom not.

Looks like my costs will be about 25ish bucks, if I can get the fuses for not ebay prices.

Either way, it will be a nice break from the usual, even if it doesn't work.
If it does, sweet. I have a new DS; lol.
(also, I have 2 DS fats that are also dead in less severe ways. I might try them first.)

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to replace the top screen only replace the freakin screen cover in front of it. THAT's what's scratched. Not the actual screen. It's just like a phone. It has that plastic covering the screen then under it (the shell) there is the screen.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
BlackDave said:
If you're going to replace the top screen only replace the freakin screen cover in front of it. THAT's what's scratched. Not the actual screen. It's just like a phone. It has that plastic covering the screen then under it (the shell) there is the screen.

Indeed.

getting a replacement casing kit usually includes those (got one with mine)

As usual... from dealextreme.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
iceissocold said:
BlackDave said:
Just wanted to point out, a new DS lite is $129, DSi is priced $169 if that is where you became confused.

Holy sheet you have it cheap on the americanos ;_;

In europe (Finland) the avarage cost of new DS lite still is not almost at all down in price (about 135 euros... and that is about, 170 usd for americans) and a DSi is about 180-199 euros (that is... 250-260 USD approximately)

DSi XL has not been released in Europe yet though, I do not know has it been released in us either, but I think that will bring prices somewhat down (though, what Finnish stores that you can preorder from show, the price is around 192-250 euros)

And THAT is costly... ;_;

o0ICE0o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sucks.... Is doing what that link that i posted safe? If so, what is the best screen protector to use? I read a few things, and they say hori; but i want to make shure. Also, ipods have no enter key in their browser. They need one.
frown.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
o0ICE0o said:
That sucks.... Is doing what that link that i posted safe? If so, what is the best screen protector to use? I read a few things, and they say hori; but i want to make shure. Also, ipods have no enter key in their browser. They need one.
frown.gif

Well yeah... the onscreen "return" button is a enter though.

If it is the disassembly guide, it is pretty safe, that guide taught me well year ago and now I can repair DS lites pretty well.

Though, I do not kinda want... My DS is so badly shaped and all that I really want a new and fresh system.

o0ICE0o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...replacing the screen plastic cover with a screen protector.
Also, thanks for telling me about the return key.
I never used it because I thought that it just took you out of the keyboard.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
also, I do not think they actually sell DS lite motherboards anywhere - I would bet only easy way to obtain one, is to buy new DS lite - but I can be corrected with this with handy link to store what happens to sell them just like that

How about the link in the post you just quoted? Think you might find them there?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
sfg said:
QUOTE said:

How about the link in the post you just quoted? Think you might find them there?

Seems to be just repair tutorials page and not a store to buy things from - and that was also edited in well after my quotation.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
o0ICE0o said:
The site that the link links to has a store, that sells them.
Seems so...

Just wondering why - and where do they get them (my guess is broken DS lites - as in, broken screens, casing etc.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1