Removing shiny locks from Moon, need help with hex editing...

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by jaderocc, Aug 6, 2017.

1. jaderocc
    OP

jaderocc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States

yo! whats up yall. so i saw this video ^^^^ explaining how to remove shiny locks from gen 6 and 7 games. i got everything up to step 9 perfectly fine (the instructions are in the video description in case anyone didnt see em), but once i have the code.bin file in hxd i have no idea what to edit. can anyone point me in the right direction? i'd really appreciate it, thanks in advance!

Last edited by jaderocc, Aug 6, 2017
  2. trainboy2019

trainboy2019 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    trainboy2019 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 6, 2015
    Antarctica
    Ylisse
    9) Insert the SD card into your PC and patch the code.bin file with the hex editor as shown in the video
    This.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that's right, but now my 3ds keeps crashing when running pokemon moon. Not sure if it's this thing's fault, or just my 3ds being dumb.

Last edited by trainboy2019, Aug 6, 2017 - Reason: Whoops
    jaderocc likes this.
  3. jaderocc
    OP

jaderocc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    nvm i think i got it! thanks a million :^)

Last edited by jaderocc, Aug 7, 2017
  4. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    What's the point? I'm curious about this. You can't use them online I don't think, and such an endeavor sounds fruitless, you're better off just using PKHex to generate a shiny version and feel happy (temporarily) that you crushed some AI Battle Tree trainer with a shiny Tapu Bulu or something.

5. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    I think that's the wrong address. you should be at 00218AF3. then change that to 0A. thats how I changes the odds for shinies in moon.

Last edited by HamBone41801, Aug 7, 2017
    jaderocc likes this.
  6. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    This isn't about changing the odds for shinies, it's about allowing legendaries which normally cannot be shiny.

jaderocc likes this.
  7. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for clearing that up.

jaderocc likes this.
  8. jaderocc
    OP

jaderocc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    not sure if you'd have this info offhand/without removing the lock to test yourself, but after adding the edited code.bin to luma/titles/the folder for moon, i tested with sumohax shiny odds to see if it would still be locked since your description for the sumohax plugin says shiny locked mons won't show up shiny regardless of the odds being altered or not, and i'm getting a non-shiny tapu lele every time. is that true regardless of the shiny lock being patched? or does the fact that it isn't shiny with the edited code.bin in the proper folder indicate the patch doesn't/isn't working?

-just curious, would the ntr plugin be affected by the edited code.bin? or would it not read the code.bin/disregard it as a whole and just react as if it were a stock/nonmodified game, thus thinking the locked mons are still locked, even if they aren't?

Last edited by jaderocc, Aug 11, 2017