Hacking [RELEASE] Wii U NAND Tools

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@EyeKey , using your method to perform a full dump of all files, is there a way to restore the vWii without a teensy++?

Lets say a user bricks their vWii somehow but they did a full dump of all files using your tool. Can they restore the vWii without a hardmod?

EyeKey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Theoretically possible, but it isn't simple... And very risky too. if the vWii fs is fucked the console won't boot anyway.
If the console boot, you can just copy over the files from the backup.

Brenex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should expect it to be returned to you unfixed. Some people have gotten away with getting software bricks fixed, but I can't imagine Nintendo not noticing hardware mods, even if they've been reversed.

yea I figured I'd give it a try since there were other reports of them not looking inside before sending a replacement. I bought mine refurbished too from their ebay store so there's that. I did clean it up really nicely before sending it. There's no abnormal solder on the board so it looks just about pristine anyways. I'll give fixing it another go if it comes back.

Well they replaced my motherboard. Wii U is working fine now. I guess I should have curbed my expectations. :rolleyes:

Reactions: pelago

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still wondering about the errors I'm seeing in my SLCs from nandbincheck on my Wii U (see https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-nand-tools.465386/page-6#post-7237711 and https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wii-u-nand-tools.465386/page-7#post-7239824) and could do with some advice.

On the vWii side I'm seeing errors in a couple of VC games which I'm not too worried about, plus in "/shared1/00000015.app". From what I've read about the shared1 folder, that is used as a dumping ground for any content which is used by more than one title, and one person's 00000015.app will be different to someone else's, and it's very hard to work out what the file really is for or to reinstall it. I imagine there might be a way to virginize vWii, but given that I don't really use it, I'm not too bothered, unless it's a sign of a dying SLC chip.

On the Wii U side, I have errors in "/scfm.img" which I know are normal, but also in
"/sys/title/00050010/100040ff/code/fw.img". According to http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database 00050010-100040FF is the "System updater OS", whatever that is (presumably that is running when I do an update). I haven't recently tried to update this Wii U to know whether that works or not, but should I be worried about this error?

Is there any way to check the SLC for errors separately at the block level rather than at the filesystem level? I'm imagining some kind of homebrew running on the Wii U doing a "surface scan" or similar.

It would be great to see tools to check the MLC too, again both at filesystem and block level.

nooburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I bricked my Wii U, by factory resetting it with CBHC still installed. I do have a full dump of my NAND, which was dumped after CBHC was installed.

I've tried running my slc.bin through nandfixer to try and make it flashable, but I get the following error "Invalid input NAND size (should be dump without ECC". The size of my dumped slc.bin is 528MB.
I've also tried running it through nandcbhcremover, which adds an xml, however I still get the invalid input NAND size error.

I have some questions regarding whether my WiiU is recoverable, if anyone can answer...

1. Can I recover with my current dump which consists of mlc.bin, otp.bin, seeprom.bin, slc.bin, and slccmtp.bin?
2. If I can recover with my current dump, what tools do I need to use to make a flashable NAND?
3. Can I use the fake SD Card method to flash my corrupted NAND, which is explained here... https://www.reboot.ms/forum/threads/guide-emmc-nand-dump-backup-restore.530/

Thanks for any advice.

D

Deleted User

So, I bricked my Wii U, by factory resetting it with CBHC still installed. I do have a full dump of my NAND, which was dumped after CBHC was installed.

I've tried running my slc.bin through nandfixer to try and make it flashable, but I get the following error "Invalid input NAND size (should be dump without ECC". The size of my dumped slc.bin is 528MB.
I've also tried running it through nandcbhcremover, which adds an xml, however I still get the invalid input NAND size error.

I have some questions regarding whether my WiiU is recoverable, if anyone can answer...

1. Can I recover with my current dump which consists of mlc.bin, otp.bin, seeprom.bin, slc.bin, and slccmtp.bin?
2. If I can recover with my current dump, what tools do I need to use to make a flashable NAND?
3. Can I use the fake SD Card method to flash my corrupted NAND, which is explained here... https://www.reboot.ms/forum/threads/guide-emmc-nand-dump-backup-restore.530/

Thanks for any advice.
Use NAND CBHC Fixer [otp.bin] but your slc.bin dump is invalid so you have to dump it from Wii U itself using hardmod and use this program to fix this, then redump it back. It should work.

Jhnsn

*Flat is Justice*
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Gives me an error with nandbincheck.exe when checking mlc.bin -
failed to determine dump type
error setting path to nand object

dumped mlc two times, but only 29.6gb big. Could that be an issue?

Hm.

Tommy084

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Last edited by Tommy084,

d41u5

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,
After patching SLC dump, I still can't find the default_title_id
<default_title_id type="hexBinary" length="8">0005001010040200</default_title_id>
with Nand Explorer in /sys/title/0050010 dir? only this one are present 10004000/10004001/10004009/1000400a/100040ff is it normal? My WiiU say at WiiU logo :|
You think is possible after cbhc and sys format to restore rednand SLC patched dump?
Actually, I try with SLC dump done after sys format.
BR

Last edited by d41u5,

Tommy084

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi,
After patching SLC dump, I still can't find the default_title_id
<default_title_id type="hexBinary" length="8">0005001010040200</default_title_id>
with Nand Explorer in /sys/title/0050010 dir? only this one are present 10004000/10004001/10004009/1000400a/100040ff is it normal? My WiiU say at WiiU logo :|
You think is possible after cbhc and sys format to restore rednand SLC patched dump?
Actually, I try with SLC dump done after sys format.
BR

Can you find it in the: /sys/config/system.xml?

Attachments

• IMG_5629.JPG
    IMG_5629.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 371
Last edited by Tommy084,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have any info on alternate solder points for the Wii U nand? I have all but 2 of the teensy wires soldered. I have a crappy iron so I lifted those points off the board.

I could solder directly to the nand if I knew the solder points

Godwin_Point

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I'm in a weird situation. A friend of mine tried to boot up his wii U after it stayed for about a year without usage. He never tried to mod it in any way, but it's just refusing to send any video signal(I tried hdmi and video cable) and the gamepad won't synch

Could this be fixed with thoses tools ? Since he never moded his wii, we don't have any nand backup. I also don't have a teensy yet(I have a bunch of arduino mini thought, but it probably won't work ?)

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm in a weird situation. A friend of mine tried to boot up his wii U after it stayed for about a year without usage. He never tried to mod it in any way, but it's just refusing to send any video signal(I tried hdmi and video cable) and the gamepad won't synch

Could this be fixed with thoses tools ? Since he never moded his wii, we don't have any nand backup. I also don't have a teensy yet(I have a bunch of arduino mini thought, but it probably won't work ?)
You could use it to dump your nand but I don't think you can do anything with the files if you don't have otp.bin already

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol