[Release] Vice3DS (C64 Emulator)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Badda, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Badda
    OP

Badda GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2016
    Tokelau
    Nirvana
    Good input, will check how I can easily cater to these requirements in 2.0. By the way, before remapping your grandmother, you might want to think of a way how to utilize the other two input technologies, a 3DS actually has: an Accelerometer and a Gyroscope :D
    One more thing: You can press CTRL-H by pressing CTRL and then the key where 'H' used to be. Will change the keyboard images to make this easier.

2. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    For Summer Games?

3. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    I'm trying to make the milestone game Thrust work, which can only be controlled by keyboard, but I can't map Shift to buttons. Just like C= and Control, they don't register when trying to assign.

This important game cannot be played right now, as it is. The shift key is causing the thrust, and I don't see any workaround.

I'm going to look into more games like that.

Also, it will be necessary eventually to allow a description of sort to be added to key assignments. For example, in Thrust you want to add "Thrust" and "Fire" next to the key pressed, so when people pull up the help screen (which is awesome btw) see right away which button is causing what (you can ommit the redundant "key" string in order to save screen real estate). This is so important because every game is different. I'm even thinking about allowing to add a custom help doc/screen that includes instructions on how to use a certain game, ideally connected/included in the settings file. This challenge I realize is quite unusual compared to other systems. It's owed to the open design of the C64, where game designers could do anything they want with not just the joystick inputs, but also the keyboard. And while we have a virtual keyboard on the 3DS, it's useless in gaming, for obvious reasons. The convenient assignment of keys to physical buttons, and making it self-explanatory, is crucial on our quest to make your work not just perfect, but even better than that.

Last edited by Elwyndas, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Badda
    OP

Badda GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2016
    Tokelau
    Nirvana
    This will be fixed soon.

That is actually already on my ToDo list, but I cannot promise for v2.0. Right now (at least for soft buttons), you would have the workaround to create a custom icon: Create a 40x40px PNG image, place it into the "config" folder of the romfs and name it e.g. "ICON_Key_Q.png" for the Q-Key. Anyways, including all the support functionality for directly starting C64 games (which I would consider this to be a part of), only makes sense if you can save your games (e.g. the disc image is writeable) and different simultaneous game installations do not interfere with each other. Right now, the sdl-vicerc on the SD-card always overrides the one in romfs - even if it belongs to a different installation.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This can be fixed by changing the title ID before you pack the CIA.
    Edit title ID with extracted NCCH header and ExHeader (thank you @ihaveamac).
    But - as stated before - you have to be careful because right now, if another installation of vice3DS has custom settings stored on the SD card, they will override the settings of all other vice3Ds installations. To fix this, is on the ToDo list as well - not for 2.0 though.

Last edited by Badda, Nov 26, 2019
    Elwyndas and SmashinGit like this.
  5. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    I'm working through a long list of games that I remember as being cumbersome to play because of the keyboard being involved.
    One of the worst examples is Gateway to Aphsai. It requires constantly accessing the keyboard. This otherwise great game is borderline unplayable because of this.
    For example, you need to press F5 repeatedly for actions like search, find traps etc, then press fire to activate it, and then press F7 to return to fight mode.
    I can already greatly improve this by assigning F5 and F7 to X and Y buttons, but ideally I would like to utilize a pre-defined sequence of actions. Very much like the pre-set list of BASIC commands you already have, but more like along the line of a Macro. Perhaps the commands function can simply be opened to store key strokes like Function keys, and the fire button. Right now they would not register because they don't produce a character.
    In addition, this new macro system would allow to execute simultaneous inputs, for example Joystick down and fire pressed at the same time. All of a sudden you could drop a bomb in Blue Max without going kamikaze.
    When this is achieved, and I can also assign commands to buttons, I will create the first truly playable installment of Gateway to Apshai.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Elwyndas, Nov 28, 2019
    SmashinGit likes this.
  6. Badda
    OP

Badda GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2016
    Tokelau
    Nirvana
    Here comes v2.0. Changes to RC3 are:
    • enhancement: configurable key combos
    • optimization: smooth scrolling scroll bar in menu, file and imgfile dialog
    • optimization: speed reducion/speedup ranges in slider adjusted
    • optimzation: passing end/beginning in file/imgfile dialog wraps the cursor to beginning/end
    • bugfix: fixed crash when closing the 3ds lid, home button works now
    • multiple other small enhancements, optimizations and bug fixes
    https://github.com/badda71/vice3ds/releases

OP will be updated soon ...

Have fun! :yay3ds:

Muxi, arquillos, SmashinGit and 3 others like this.
  7. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    This is great. I'm going to report back with some small issues, but two actions I have identified that cause a total system crash:

- switching back between full screen and "regular" multiple times causes a freeze. Rosalina can still be activated. I believe this was already identified as a bug before. It doesn't happen on the first attempt, only after switching back to regular a 2nd time.

- similar thing happens when you try to "Restore default settings" more than once. You can restore once, but the second time it will cause an ARM11 exception.

Last edited by Elwyndas, Dec 3, 2019 at 1:17 AM
  8. Muxi

Muxi GBAtemp Fan

Jun 1, 2016
    Germany
    I also can't save settings in v2.0 anymore because the custom settings are reset after each restart (even if the 3ds/vice3ds folder has been deleted before).

Last edited by Muxi, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:45 AM
  9. Badda
    OP

Badda GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2016
    Tokelau
    Nirvana
    Hm, I don't understand. If the folder 3ds/vice3ds is not there, the default settings are applied anyways. What error message are you getting when trying to save the settings? Is a sdl-vicerc file created in folder /3ds/vice3ds/config?

10. Muxi

Muxi GBAtemp Fan

Jun 1, 2016
    Germany
    I don't get an error message. Everything is output correctly - only if I restart Vice3DS afterwards, all settings are reset (with or without deleting the 3ds/vice3ds folder).
    Yes, this file is there.

Edit:
    The quickest way to test this is to deactivate the help button and save it in the settings. After a restart the button is back. The same is also true for other things, like the assignment of the soft buttons. (Tested on 3 different consoles)

Last edited by Muxi, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM
  11. Badda
    OP

Badda GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2016
    Tokelau
    Nirvana
    Ok, I published a quick bugfix release v2.0.1. These bugs are fixed:
    • Crash when switching to fullscreen multiple times
    • Crash when restoring default settings multiple times
    • sdl-vicerc on SD card does not override the default settings
    https://github.com/badda71/vice3ds/releases

Last edited by Badda, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    Garcimak, ber71, arquillos and 2 others like this.
  12. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    Not sure what went wrong, but the crashing bugs I reported are still present.

13. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    OMG! This (EDIT: *this* == the C128 version... wish there was an easy way to move this to the proper thread) plays my file perfectly! Attach the disk image and:

LOAD"A. BOOT",8
    RUN

And remember, I was pretty young when I did this :P

It's not even compiled, so you can see all of the code, and also see how easy it is to program music in BASIC for the 128. The gibberish at the beginning (of the music code... not the mouse thing) is just to set up the sound/voices. You also have to keep in mind that I transposed this directly from sheet music, so I had to do the best I could, using only 3 voices. I don't know the voodoo real programmers used to take control over the system beep, to gain a 4th...

@Badda you really are my hero :wub:

Attached Files:

Last edited by urherenow, Dec 4, 2019 at 9:33 AM
  14. Elwyndas

Elwyndas GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2018
    United States
    I'm testing the new key combo feature.
    It works, and I can assign the combo to a button (by pressing R while hovering over the entry in the menu), but it appears that the combo is being executed indefinetely. For example I want the combo joystick down + fire in Blue Max, to drop bombs, but it keeps on going down and pressing fire.
    By default it should only be executed once. As an additional option you could add a way to keep it pressed for a certain amount of time.

Workaround: I assign RESTORE to D-PAD down, and RUN-STOP to the B button, and then assign Y to the existing RUN/STOP-RESTORE soft button. Voila! Dropping bombs now only takes a minimum of decrease in altitude. However, the machine gun stops working if the B button is being pressed (or auto fire - doesn't matter.) You need to released that button, and press again, to make use of the machine gun. I'm not exactly sure why this is.

The ideal custom solution would look like this: I can create a key combo that triggers [Joystick down + fire for just a split second] then [releases] that right away, and it's being followed by [Joystick up] in the same key combo, to counter the idiotic (unrealistic) drop in altitude. So not just simultaneous combos, but sequential. I know this sounds weird, but I have messed with Blue Max a lot now and if we can get this done it will become an amazing arcade game - as it should have always been. This feature will also benefit other games.

Basically the idea is that the C64 emulator on the Nintendo 3DS can make games shine the way they were intended to be, and only because of terrible hardware limitations (like no second joystick button, or having to execute weird kamikaze moves, or accessing the keyboard while using the joystick - ugh) weren't able to back in the day. I'm revisiting countless C64 games now, and everything that was annoying me back then can now be fixed, without cracking games. It feels like a robotic engine that messes with the original hardware. A 2nd layer, but it maintains the original thing.

Emulation 2.0?

Last edited by Elwyndas, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:51 AM
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted