Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's where I'm confused.

Can't you normally load VC/WiiWare titles from the SD Menu? Isn't that the point of 4.0+?

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
MagusDraco said:
That's where I'm confused.

Can't you normally load VC/WiiWare titles from the SD Menu? Isn't that the point of 4.0+?
You can load "special" VC/WiiWare titles.

Keep ing mind, IOS60 needs to trucha signed for 4.0/4.1, IOS70 is for 4.2.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MagusDraco said:
alright. It worked fine.

No other screw ups.

Nice one
wink.gif

DaMaster121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, i've got cios 3.4 installed with 4.1e, and preloader and hackmii 0.5 but when i try this update but it fails and says

'1...\:
ES_AddContentstart(00000000100000009, 0) failed: =1017

install returned -1
installation complete
something failed. sorry.'

I've tried uninstalled ios249 in wad manager but still same error occurs.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMaster121 said:
Hey, i've got cios 3.4 installed with 4.1e, and preloader and hackmii 0.5 but when i try this update but it fails and says

'1...\:
ES_AddContentstart(00000000100000009, 0) failed: =1017

install returned -1
installation complete
something failed. sorry.'

I've tried uninstalled ios249 in wad manager but still same error occurs.

Why/how are you uninstalling (or installing for that matter) IOS249 with WAD MANAGER? cIOS249 should be installed with Waninkoko's updater. That error is no trucha.....

DaMaster121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using the wad file that was in the softmod an 4.2 firmware, which Waninkoko updater are you refering to?

also i tried to uninstall it because i read that the ios249 is causing the -1017 error.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMaster121 said:
using the wad file that was in the softmod an 4.2 firmware, which Waninkoko updater are you refering to?

also i tried to uninstall it was i read that the ios249 is causing the -1017 error.

Nevermind. Go check some of the stickied n00bie guides in the forums. Sounds like you do not yet know what you are doing. You must learn how to softmod your Wii first
smile.gif

DaMaster121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i do know how to softmod my wii, ive had it modded for few months now , ive updated from 3.2 to 4.0 to 4.1 for some time now, also have the usb loader as my main game source, i really just need to know how to overcome the problem i stated above.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMaster121 said:
i do know how to softmod my wii, ive had it modded for few months now , ive updated from 3.2 to 4.0 to 4.1 for some time now, also have the usb loader as my main game source, i really just need to know how to overcome the problem i stated above.

You are telling me that you think IOS249 (The cIOS needed to play your rips!) is causing problems, so you deleted it. You do not know what you are doing. Sorry to be blunt, but I am only speaking the truth here.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supersonic5000 said:
My Wii keeps freezing during download requiring a full power-down. :/ But my internet is acting like crap so I'll try it again later. Thanks.
smile.gif

Yup, try again later. Good thing is that the updater does not install a given IOS, system menu, etc until it completes the download of the said files. In other words, it is not downloading and installing on the fly. So, only risk really in bricking is to have a power failure.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
MagusDraco said:
That's weird.

It didn't update to 4.2

It didn't brick, but somewhere along the way it failed. I already had the shop channel v17 and that's where it was last I looked before it went back to the HBC.

System Menu's at 4.1U still.

Ive been trying for last 24 hrs (approx 20 attempts) and at various points I get 'hash bad' error. The app clearly works and people seem happy, so I have to put it down to N servers being shite or ISP severely throttling bandwidth at peak times.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
zektor said:
KiiNG said:
bowser said:
What's the exact difference between a region hacked and native USA console? I want to know the technical details. I have a NTSC-J Wii region hacked to NTSC-U. So I guess I shouldn't update to 4.2U.

As far as I'm aware, the issue is specific for Korean Wii consoles. Hardware wise, I know they have a different power supply module, but beyond that, I haven't a clue. I can't relate as I have a NTSC-U Wii running.. yep, NTSC-U firmware, but I've read a few threads about people with NTSC-J Wii consoles updating without any issues. Then again.. there's really no point in updating right now, and by the time you really need to all the details will be ironed out cleanly.

For now I am just recommending that anyone with a region hacked console NOT update. The goal here is not to brick consoles
smile.gif
I have only heard of Korean consoles doing this myself as well, but better safe than sorry. If you do have say a NTSC-J console hacked to NTSC-U and boot2 bootmii installed with nand backup...and want to try....I would like to know how you made out on the update.
Yeah, I have BootMii on boot2. NAND backup is pretty old though. Will take a fresh backup and then update using your guide tonight. I'll post back on the results.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
MagusDraco said:
That's weird.

It didn't update to 4.2

It didn't brick, but somewhere along the way it failed. I already had the shop channel v17 and that's where it was last I looked before it went back to the HBC.

System Menu's at 4.1U still.

Ive been trying for last 24 hrs (approx 20 attempts) and at various points I get 'hash bad' error. The app clearly works and people seem happy, so I have to put it down to N servers being shite or ISP severely throttling bandwidth at peak times.

You can always try the offline install in my guide if you cannot get a good connection.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
BBking83 said:
Should we do a poll for this to be added to WiiBrew??

Although I doubt marcan would pass it...
unsure.gif
The Patchmii code inside it did have to be modified to allow it to update the system menu, so I doubt it should be added.

I just hope that it's not part of the group of "failpacks" now referred to in the HBC FAQ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.