ROM Hack [Release] Usagi 3DS Theme Editor (+ .Net Library) - Testers Wanted

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I felt that while great applications, the current alternatives were a bit lacking in the Preview and User Experience Department.

So, another alternative for Custom Theme Creators, hopefully easing the process of creating them:

Usagi 3DS Theme Editor:

Requires:
  • .Net Framework 4.5
  • Windows Operating System (WPF doesn't work under Mono! However there are some markup languages which do, you can try to fork and port it)

Features:
  • Live (Animated) Preview: supporting all Render Modes and Frame Types for both Screens
  • Colored and Textured Application/Folder Icons on the Preview
  • Animated Cursor on the Preview
  • Image Palette: pick colors from up to 20 colors from the top and bottom images most used colors
  • BGM Preview: Preview only, to generate the BGM.BCSTM, you may use the YATA+ Converter or similar alongside this application
  • Image Dithering: I hate banding, and i bet will now too: Example
  • Available in the following languages

The Library (ThemeEditor.Common):

Requires:
  • .Net Framework 4.5

Built from the Ground Up in a Object Oriented manner, you may use this for your own projects that require Loading/Editing the Theme files, without rewriting the wheel

Special Thanks to YATA, pk3DS and DSDecmp, from where the LZ11 Decompressing and Texture Decoding Algorithms were taken/ported from

Downloads:

Source Code: GitHub (MIT License)
Releases: GitHub

Theme with Dithering + Preview Sample: https://3dsthem.es/2031
Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/t4yrm

If it crashes and you can reproduce it, the Feedback is Appreciated!

EDIT: If i got any of the credits wrong, make sure to notify me too!

Last edited by usagirei,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh shit, I guess I will switch from YATA+ to this.
I love this kind of preview.

When I press:
Top Background Color
Bottom Background Inner Color
Bottom Background Outer Color
Nothing Happen

And the UI for color editing is not very intuitive...

Reactions: Arubaro

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh shit, I guess I will switch from YATA+ to this.
I love this kind of preview.

When I press:
Top Background Color
Bottom Background Inner Color
Bottom Background Outer Color
Nothing Happen

And the UI for color editing is not very intuitive...

The options follow a dependency check to prevent invalid combinations:

Top Background Color Depends on Top Draw Type being Solid Color (So it's kind of a Ghost Option)
Bottom Background Inner depends on Bottom Draw Type as Solid Color
Bottom Background Outer depends on Bottom Background Inner (As far as my testing went on the o3DS, one without the other doesn't do anything)

As for the Color Editor, you mean the color picker?
I'm using a third party library for that, it was either that one or the System (AKA MSPaint) one, which IMO is really bad.

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I Forgot to mention in the Readme, but you can drag and drop the Textures on the respective screens from windows Explorer too, if you feel like going trough the menus is slower.
Further down the line i'll add sending to image editor + automatic reloading of changes (This one is rather quick to implement, but Rocket League is calling me!)

Joshwraith

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Maybe you can add some basic info, for example show the image size for top view, then in the Menu we will see something like "Import ---> Top (size widexheigh)", just to remember what are the correct proportions.

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe you can add some basic info, for example show the image size for top view, then in the Menu we will see something like "Import ---> Top (size widexheigh)", just to remember what are the correct proportions.

Hmm, I'll add some Ghost Entries in the menu then, that show the possible Sizes.
Meanwhile, loading any image of wrong size will show a message with the possible sizes you can import.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Good job!
I'm in love with the preview.
Is it possible to implement the preview of the folder's arrow and the open folder?

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good job!
I'm in love with the preview.
Is it possible to implement the preview of the folder's arrow and the open folder?
I'll take a look, but the color scheme for the folder background is the same kind as the Bottom Background Inner if you want to edit it in the other part then switch the colors for now

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This looks really promising. Opened now and I'm taking a little look through it. Would it be possible to implement the ability to edit SFX?

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This looks really promising. Opened now and I'm taking a little look through it. Would it be possible to implement the ability to edit SFX?

I Tried, but the Wiki information on the CWAV Section data is rather unorganized/lacking information.
Plus we need the leaked executable to convert wav -> cwav, or is there an alternative non copyrighted way?

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I Tried, but the Wiki information on the CWAV Section data is rather unorganized/lacking information.
Plus we need the leaked executable to convert wav -> cwav, or is there an alternative non copyrighted way?

Ah, I didn't know. I assume that's why Yata+ doesn't have the feature either.

I'm not sure about the converter, but I'm sure there's someone about who does.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
I think yata+ had the "find a way to make cwavs without relying on tools with copyright" on the todo list

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Open dialog seems to be incapable of opening themes with spaces in the directory name.
Other than that, this is pretty bloody fantastic!
The preview is far, far far nicer than YATA's, and I find the system to be overall far more pleasant to work with.
I've got just a few comments:
For starters, there's no minimize button, which is slightly bothersome. And, as stated above, the Open dialog doesn't like spaces in directory names. It seems that there's actually something wrong with some of these themes. They open in YATA just fine, though.
I'm assuming everything else, like previews for the Close button and pressed/unpressed states, etc., is already on the list.
Really excellent work, though!

Last edited by Sgt. Lulz,

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Open dialog seems to be incapable of opening themes with spaces in the directory name.
Other than that, this is pretty bloody fantastic!
The preview is far, far far nicer than YATA's, and I find the system to be overall far more pleasant to work with.
I've got just a few comments:
For starters, there's no minimize button, which is slightly bothersome. And, as stated above, the Open dialog doesn't like spaces in directory names. It seems that there's actually something wrong with some of these themes. They open in YATA just fine, though.
I'm assuming everything else, like previews for the Close button and pressed/unpressed states, etc., is already on the list.
Really excellent work, though!

Oops, wrong tag on the Window, it was supposed to be CanMinimize instead of NoResize (Which kills the minimize Button), fixed it.
For The Close Button and pressed unpressed states, i think i'll add a toggle just like the one i'm doing for Folder View Mode: http://i.imgur.com/Btf79YT.png
I assume the space issue was a fluke (you striked it off)? If the themes themselves fail to load, if you could provide me with the theme files, i could take a look.

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oops, wrong tag on the Window, it was supposed to be CanMinimize instead of NoResize (Which kills the minimize Button), fixed it.
For The Close Button and pressed unpressed states, i think i'll add a toggle just like the one i'm doing for Folder View Mode: http://i.imgur.com/Btf79YT.png
I assume the space issue was a fluke (you striked it off)? If the themes themselves fail to load, if you could provide me with the theme files, i could take a look.
The issue was indeed not spaces in folder names, but rather seems to be themes with the Slow Scroll top screen setting.
It seems that the library is saving and loading the wrong top screen frame type for Slow Scroll: YATA and official themes have a different flag number for the slow scroll frame type.
The issue can be reproduced by setting any scrolling theme to Slow Scroll in YATA or 3TE: YATA to 3TE refuses to load, whilst 3TE to YATA marks the top screen frame type as the '(invalid)' type.

usagirei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The issue was indeed not spaces in folder names, but rather seems to be themes with the Slow Scroll top screen setting.
It seems that the library is saving and loading the wrong top screen frame type for Slow Scroll: YATA and official themes have a different flag number for the slow scroll frame type.
The issue can be reproduced by setting any scrolling theme to Slow Scroll in YATA or 3TE: YATA to 3TE refuses to load, whilst 3TE to YATA marks the top screen frame type as the '(invalid)' type.

Indeed that was it, i pushed that changes to the repository if anyone wants to build the fixed version to use.
Thanks for the Feedback

EDIT: Updated the GitHub Build: Now Includes the Folder Preview for Bottom Screen, and the fix for the SlowScroll bug (And the Minimize Window)

EDIT2: Updated Again, No Longer Crashes on Pasting invalid colors, and support more color string types, (Plus Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V)

Last edited by usagirei,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over