Hacking [RELEASE] UAE4ALL - Amiga emulator

Ganoncrotch

Trophies
XP
Country
Same here haha, our family's first PC had an 8.4gb hard drive which the person that built the PC said we'd never fill, sure enough we did, so we added a 12gb hard drive to it a year later.

Now i have Micro SD card's almost the size of my finger nail, with many times more storage. If the younger me knew the future he'd probably probably think that was crazy.

Aye lol, imagine showing that PC builder a 6TB Harddrive now if he thought you'd never fill 8GB, I always come back to this point when someone suggests something like "we'll never see the PS3 emulated on a PC" but like I said if you go back 20 years and think about things like the Amiga being the peak of powerful machines with it's 14mhz cpu we would have never considered something being able to emulate that system somewhere else but then like you said, mobile phones now have 1000+ times the RAM of that system and 100s of times the processing power, and that isn't even high end mobile phones, budget android models well under €100 will have these specs so I think when you move forwards in technology what we think today is powerful really will look as how the Amiga500 looks today to us. (unless we suffer some massive war which halts human advancement)

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is anyone else having trouble with 3.1 Kickstart ROM?
I'm using "KS ROM v3.1 (A1200) rev 40.68 (512k) [391773-01][391774-01]" obviously renamed to kick31.rom.
As long as I don't additionally have a 1.3 Kickstart ROM it says it couldn't find any Kickstart ROMs.
Anything that requires a 3.1 Kickstart ROM won't work.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I wanna thank Dansmell for his help so far. No way I would have been able to do as much with this emulator without his advice.

Okay, second order of business. I can't get some (not all, but some) AGA games to run. It keeps complaining that I'm missing Kickstart files, and all the ones I've tried so far haven't worked. What do I do? I've tried renaming them before putting them in the Kicks folder; it doesn't seem to help.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a 16-bit computer from the mid 1980s. Keep in mind that while it doesn't amount to much NOW, it was seriously advanced for its time, with multimedia capabilities that other systems couldn't match. The 1990s weren't kind to the Amiga, though... by 1994 the whole line was toast, although the operating system was supported into 1997.

I did some additional research on the system for my blog if that helps!

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/2016/11/samba-de-amiga-part-1.html

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow thank you! The emulator runs great. On my vita, it runs all the games I threw at it in full speed even Lionheart (although that game has some gfx glitches in the water).

However there is a lot of pixel wobble during scrolling no matter which screen mode I choose. It needs a nicer scaling algorithm. The author recently added scaling filters to his Scummvm port so I hope he will find time to add a sharp bilinear (integer pre-scale plus bilinear scaling) scaling option or similar. Maybe a simple software 2x option and an option to disable full screen would be enough similar to scummvm. Setting 2x in scummvm and disabling full screen there makes it look much nicer this should work here too.

Last edited by rsn8887,

Krakou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello

I installed the VPK, but when I launch the app, I get an error message : (C2-12828-1)
Saved Core File succeeded.
ux0:data/psp2core-1481699234-0x0014023be3-eboot.bin.psp2dmp

Any idea on the way to fix this?

Thanks

mindglitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello

I installed the VPK, but when I launch the app, I get an error message : (C2-12828-1)
Saved Core File succeeded.
ux0:data/psp2core-1481699234-0x0014023be3-eboot.bin.psp2dmp

Any idea on the way to fix this?

Thanks

Did you add the kickstart roms?

Installation:
- install vpk
- put disks (adf) in "ux0:/data/uae4all/roms"
- put kickstart roms (kick13.rom, kick31.rom) in "ux0:/data/uae4all/kickstarts/"

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
cpasjuste, do you remember which SDL version you used when compiling? I found your version of SDL2 on github, but it looks like you used libSDL (version 1) when working on UAE4ALL2?

Can you send me the SDL library?

I am trying to compile it myself and try to fix the pixel wobble, but with SDL 1 on Vita I cannot test it.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it. It compiles without error now. I will fiddle around a bit and see if I can remove the pixel wobble.

Last edited by rsn8887,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me know if you succeed. I don't know what the standard resolution is for the Amiga or if it will scale properly to the Vita's.

Also... idea. X68000 emulator. Someone? Please? That system makes the Amiga look like a Commodore 64!

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I succeeded in getting rid of the pixel wobble by simply enforcing a strict two-times (integer) scaling. This can be seen for example in Lionheart intro during scrolling or any other game with slow smooth scrolling. Now each pixel has the same size on the screen.

My modded version of Uae4All2-Vita is here:
https://mega.nz/#!BJhVSRwR!nabVrH3yHCqDxkq9tA2vxzhsjgDvNJNDwbCcJuMlNfM

The GitHub repo showing my changes to the source is here:
https://github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/

The emulator still cannot draw a viewport larger than 240 lines for some reason.

Gig02

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I succeeded in getting rid of the pixel wobble by simply enforcing a strict two-times (integer) scaling. This can be seen for example in Lionheart intro during scrolling or any other game with slow smooth scrolling. Now each pixel has the same size on the screen.

My modded version of Uae4All2-Vita is here:
https://mega.nz/#!BJhVSRwR!nabVrH3yHCqDxkq9tA2vxzhsjgDvNJNDwbCcJuMlNfM

The GitHub repo showing my changes to the source is here:
https://github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/

The emulator still cannot draw a viewport larger than 240 lines for some reason.

Hi, thank you for working on this... I just installed your version and certainly prefer the way the screen resolutions

I have an HD setup with various games and tried the game Rock n Roll which has scrolling issues when moving left and right (up and down is fine)

I can't help with the coding but would be happy to test things for you

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Is this working better than the psp amiga emu? I have that installed with adrenaline (I was able to just copy it over from my psp). It took me ages getting it to work just right so i'm wondering if it's worth my while going through all that again?

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great stuff, thanks very much for working on this. Haven't played some of my all time favourite games since my Amiga died last year, sadly missed :(

I've still got my Atari ST, but that doesn't have all of the games I have for my Amiga so this is letting me play some old classics until I get a replacement Amiga (and I can play this on the sofa while the wife watches nonsense on TV, bonus ;) )

(Of course I could have used an emu on the PC but I spend too much time in front of that bugger working, I don't want to sit in front of it for fun.)

Last edited by Stwert,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I made another update. My releases from now on will be here:
https://github.com/rsn8887/uae4all2/releases

Changelog (the 2* scaling was already in last release on mega.nz):
  • 2* scaling for exact pixel sizes (no more wobble)

• better file attributes for HD Dirs so they work on Amiga side

• fixed display of more or less lines than 240

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Aargh! This is driving me nuts! I can't get any games to work. Can anyone help? I've installed the vpk and all the kicks i had from my psp emu which seem to work fine. I get the sceen where i can insert discs but when I do and press select they don't load and I am left with a black screen. Is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Now getting 'type failed returncode20'

EDIT: When I try to reset it goes to a black screen.

Last edited by RitchieRitchie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi