RELEASE [Release/Tutorial] Switch theme injector : Easily make custom themes

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by exelix11, Sep 24, 2018.

1. manosk

manosk Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    Greece
    Hi guys,

I want to use nx theme installer on my switch that runs latest Reinx2.4 with OFCW 8.1.
    I read the user guide but except from placing the nro under /switch folder and creating manually the themes folder on /root directory, do I need to do any dumping operation or use lockpick? I suppose these operations are for the hacking procedure of the switch.. I bought the switch already hacked and so I am trying to understand it. :)

Br,
    Manos

2. exelix11
    OP

exelix11 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    C:\users\exelix11\
    No, that's it.
    The lockpick guide was needed before the theme installer, now it's not needed anymore, if some guide still mentions it for themes don't follow it as it's outdated.

Last edited by exelix11, Aug 19, 2019
    manosk likes this.
  3. Screw_the_Rules

Screw_the_Rules Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    If we are running atmosphere 0.9.3, where does the themeswitcher.kip file go for doing theme shuffling? Do we have to make a new folder somewhere?

4. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Tbh i'm not sure, it seems kip sysmodules are obsolete now idk if they still work. Before you had to place it anywhere on the sd and add its path to hekate configuration. But as i found out more stuff since it was made i think it's better to not use it because it could cause issues in some situations.

Last edited by exelix11, Aug 20, 2019
  5. Screw_the_Rules

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    So the shuffling mechanic is dead? I was only able to get it to work on Reinx, but even then, it had some issues like you mentioned. I prefer Atmosphere anyway.

6. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Yeah pretty much, tbh not sure how many people were using it anyway. Will keep compatibility with it for the next few versions but then will remove it from the installer as well.

7. Screw_the_Rules

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    It's the second most useful feature right after the actual installer itself. To be able to rotate through themes automatically like a desktop background on a computer.....maybe not necessary, but it's freaking amazin'.

8. m0ckeyl0ck

m0ckeyl0ck Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2019
    United States
    do you delete it the white line at the bottom if you do it can you tell me how

9. Rya102396

Rya102396 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Hey, I just updated my Atmosphere to 0.9.3, and I'm having some trouble. Whenever I install a theme and restart, nothing changes at all, but it says installed. I know the theme files work as I was using the same ones I'm trying to use now before I updated. System firmware was on 8.0.1 before and still is now.

10. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Solved on discord. Layered fs breaks on latest atmosphere if you use the custom kip needed for incognito

Rya102396 likes this.
  11. Digi_Ohhh

Digi_Ohhh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2017
    Italy
    Will we ever get actual dynamic themes? And I don't mean those ones that simply change the animations of the applets, which in my opinion are a fist in the eye. But something smoother, like an animated background.

Another thing I'd appreciate would be a BGM when in HOS, but I guess it might be harder to implement.

12. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Actually GIF like themes are way harder than bg music, about that iirc there's a new sysmodule that can do it, not sure about its limitations tho.
    For animated backgrounds there are two main issues, compatibility and memory usage: Themes aren't code mods but mods of the resources of the existing layout system so we're limited to the capabilities of their engine, which is not bad but may change with sysupdates (eg. 8.0 changed the behavior of the cursor and broke many custom layouts) that's why i'm using a rather careful approach with stuff supported in nxthemes. Also memory size is a huge concern cause injecting big images will cause the home menu to crash, 720p seems to be the magic size that keeps everything togheter, so i guess even if i were to implement something like gifs somehow, it would require a ridicule resoultion.

Digi_Ohhh likes this.
  13. danfozzy85

danfozzy85 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2018
    Barbados
    anyone else suffering broken themes in 9.0 under the new atmos?

14. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Yes, they're broken. I'm looking into it

veekay likes this.
  15. Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake Constant Miscreant

Oct 6, 2013
    Australia
    Hyrule Field
    User page and news section works on 9.0 lol that’s about it

16. lasher666

lasher666 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2009
    Isla de la Muerte
    How can i change text color on custom themes?

17. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Just tested, the only part that broke is the lock screen, working on a fix rn

Never tried but pretty sure it has to do with the B_W user data property (which is related to the "theme" in the setting, not rgb) of text panes, if you set it to 0 you could be able to directly set an rgb value by editing the material and/or the color properties, this is how i do it for applet icons, from a quick look it is similar. Note that the text panes property for color is not supported in nxthemes, will implement it if someone manages to get it working

lasher666 and danfozzy85 like this.
  18. Portal2player56

Portal2player56 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    i got the latest nxthemesinstaller.nro and the latest switch theme editor and latest szs files for my switch but when i made a theme and tried to install it on the switch it wouldnt install. help?

19. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Explain what you tried and report the error message/crash you got