Homebrew [Release] SocketPunch - FBI network CIA installer for Android & PC

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
When are you updating this to support FBI 2.0? It uses a new sockfile.
Thanks for the heads up, @Shadowhand . I didn't know there was a new FBI release.

So, everyone. Who's up to help me testing?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a32pa6hzgpz25kb/SocketPunch-1.1.0-beta.zip?dl=0

It works with the FBI 2.0.1 release. I've not been able to test it a lot. I just transferred a 1.2 GB file just fine, but I haven't done with more than one file.

I encourage you not to DELETE nor OPEN nor MOVE order of CIA files while transferring, due to the nature of the new protocol, which opens only one socket for all of the files transfers, this will cause issues. You can still open and move and all that while not transferring. I didn't lock the Punch button when transferring, so be careful not to click it more than once accidentally.

The code was taken from sockfile 2.0 by Steveice10, I just adapted it to the GUI. I made a tweak or two, it's essentially the same as sockfile when transferring.

I will update the OP and all the links once this is tested properly (tomorrow, I think?).

Known issues right now:

- The first time you Punch, all your files should transfer alright. However, if you send some more files without restarting FBI, FBI will always skip the first one (or last one?) before you restart it. Not sure if this is an issue with FBI or with SocketPunch.
- If you get an error in FBI when trying to accidentally install a CIA file you already have installed, all subsequent tries to install will say the CIA file is already installed, no matter if they aren't. This is a FBI's issue, just restart it for fixing it.

Thanks everyone!

P.S.: Also, please, all translators, I added some new lines of text, please help to translate them if you can, thanks!

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up, @Shadowhand . I didn't know there was a new FBI release.

It works with the FBI 2.0.1 release. I've not been able to test it a lot. I just transferred a 1.2 GB file just fine, but I haven't done with more than one file.

I encourage you not to DELETE nor OPEN nor MOVE order of CIA files while transferring, due to the nature of the new protocol, which opens only one socket for all of the files transfers, this will cause issues. You can still open and move and all that while not transferring. I didn't lock the Punch button when transferring, so be careful not to click it more than once accidentally.

The code was taken from sockfile 2.0 by Steveice10, I just adapted it to the GUI. I made a tweak or two, it's essentially the same as sockfile when transferring.

I will update the OP and all the links once this is tested properly (tomorrow, I think?).

Known issues right now:

- The first time you Punch, all your files should transfer alright. However, if you send some more files without restarting FBI, FBI will always skip the first one (or last one?) before you restart it. Not sure if this is an issue with FBI or with SocketPunch.
- If you get an error in FBI when trying to accidentally install a CIA file you already have installed, all subsequent tries to install will say the CIA file is already installed, no matter if they aren't. This is a FBI's issue, just restart it for fixing it.

Thanks everyone!

P.S.: Also, please, all translators, I added some new lines of text, please help to translate them if you can, thanks!
Awesome job getting this updated so fast! Thank you!

Reactions: Olmectron

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Awesome job getting this updated so fast! Thank you!
Thanks! It's still a beta, but it worked just fine for me. It'd be great if you could test it, thanks!

I will update the OP once it's been tested by several people.

Also, for anyone with the Windows release, I added the update file to the Update Channel, which means you should get a prompt to update when you open the app if you are on 1.0.5 at least, it will automatically update the app if you agree to update.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! It's still a beta, but it worked just fine for me. It'd be great if you could test it, thanks!

I will update the OP once it's been tested by several people.

Also, for anyone with the Windows release, I added the update file to the Update Channel, which means you should get a prompt to update when you open the app if you are on 1.0.5 at least, it will automatically update the app if you agree to update.
I'll test it out in a few hours, I'm not at my laptop right now.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
Downside to using a FTP program to transfer files over wifi? Wifi will always disconnect for any reason.

Edit: Why hasn't anyone in China created a usb transfer cable for the 3ds using the power cables?

Last edited by jimmyleen,
Reactions: Olmectron

PixelBurst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Downside to using a FTP program to transfer files over wifi? Wifi will always disconnect for any reason.

Edit: Why hasn't anyone in China created a usb transfer cable for the 3ds using the power cables?

Can't say for certain but I'd wager the power port is just that - a power port with no data connectivity, kind of like Xbox 360 charge and play cables are purely for powering/charging the controllers, no data at all and the controllers still connect via their wireless protocol.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Can't say for certain but I'd wager the power port is just that - a power port with no data connectivity, kind of like Xbox 360 charge and play cables are purely for powering/charging the controllers, no data at all and the controllers still connect via their wireless protocol.
You're correct. The power port is just a positive and negative pin, no data can be transferred through it.

Real.96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Known issues right now:

Thanks everyone!

I'll update the italian translation! Thanks for your fantastic work and for so many updates

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
But for getting screen-capturing the install a new port in the 3ds, so maybe it's possible, right?
It could be possible with a hardmod (I mean a hardware modification). In fact everything is possible with a hardmod, as long as you add the needed hardware and add the needed cables. I remember the guy who connected a GameCube controller to his 3DS.

Reactions: astronautlevel
D

Deleted User

I noticed these in testing. These are fixed for the next update of FBI.

Alejandroidjma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It could be possible with a hardmod (I mean a hardware modification). In fact everything is possible with a hardmod, as long as you add the needed hardware and add the needed cables. I remember the guy who connected a GameCube controller to his 3DS.
Lol that's true, maybe one day we'll see a "hardmoded 3ds to install CIA through cable" haha.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm ready to test it, if there's anything in particular you want tested just let me know :)
Thanks! The speed above everything. I got very slower speeds than the older version, and I made the same tweaks to the data streaming... Maybe it's just my router.

I would like to know about the speeds you get and, if you used the old version, the usual speeds in that one.

And, of course, if it crashes and how many times it does, before a transfer ends.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I noticed these in testing. These are fixed for the next update of FBI.
Thanks for your awesome update! And thanks for commenting, of course! I'm looking forward to your coming updates.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That reminds does anyone know why bootntr does not work with Mario and Luigi paper jam? I will rephrase, they both work together but while bootntr is enabled almost everything in the game turns invisible.
I'm not a 3DS developer myself, but that sounds like a resources problem. Maybe some elements in the game used a little bit of more resources when playing on a N3DS, so they get affected by the BootNTR's need of memory.

Again, I'm not a 3DS developer, nor do I understand any of the way the 3DS architecture works, nor how BootNTR works.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
@Olmectron
Testing it on my linux installation, got around 850 KB/s maximum. Testing the old version with the same files got around 800 KB/s maximum.

EDIT: Some more information

Tested files between 500 MBs to 3 gigabytes.

The larger files seemed to have greater speeds than the smaller files (this seems like it would be expected to me, but I don't know networking code).

Last edited by astronautlevel,
Reactions: MattKimura

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-