• Replies 801
  • Likes 61

theeternal92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to Plailects Guide. In part four. Step 18. What is one to do if "Validate EmuNAND Downgrade" fails. Both stages of validation failed and it said to restart from scratch. Now when it says from scratch. Just how far back do I jump? I'm terribly sorry if this has already been asked. I searched on here for a solution, but saw no solutions that at least made sense to me. OTPhelper is still running, but I'm afraid to proceed. It's version 0.79. Which was the one the guide told me to get.

Plailect

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to Plailects Guide. In part four. Step 18. What is one to do if "Validate EmuNAND Downgrade" fails. Both stages of validation failed and it said to restart from scratch. Now when it says from scratch. Just how far back do I jump? I'm terribly sorry if this has already been asked. I searched on here for a solution, but saw no solutions that at least made sense to me. OTPhelper is still running, but I'm afraid to proceed. It's version 0.79. Which was the one the guide told me to get.
Check the troubleshooting page.

Sukamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am trying to downgrade my EU N3DS (Original Setup was 9.9, downgraded to 9.2 as step in between) to FW 2.1 right now, using SysUpdater on emuNAND to downgrade is working without any issue, right away on the first (and second) run. Moving onto OTPHelper (and after using the Unbrick FW emuNAND option) I receive following warning during the EmuNAND Downgrade validation:

Code:
Checking title 0004013000002F02...
TMD hash mismatch

Validation Stage 1: FAILED
Validation Stage 2: FAILED
# TMD success : 112
# TMD not found : 0
# TMD hash mismatch : 1
# APP success : 112
# APP fragmented : 0
# APP hash mismatch : 0

WARNING: Validation Stage 1 failed!

I had the same result before, restored and used SysUpdater successfully again. Shall I keep doing the same procedure over and over again expecting a different outcome? Could it be the mismatch is caused by left behind data from the original 9.9 firmware? Am I experiencing a "false alert? I am going to give it a third shot and update this here if the outcome of the validation changes.

EDIT: I am going to try Godmode9, too, thanks @Plailect.

Last edited by Sukamon,

DirtyMetis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do we by chance know if v0.8 will have the ability to validate hashes with multiple .tmd files? Weighing rolling the dice on false positives on my 3 mismatched vs. patiently waiting. It's more fun with risk involved, right? ;)

Sukamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've got a bigger problem now:
OTPhelper does not let me restore my sysNAND using my sysNAND_original.bin.
Code:
This is a slot0x5 (N3DS) type NAND image!
Sorry, you can't inject that, and if I saved your 3DS, you owe me a beer.
SysNAND Restore: failed!
I think the problem is caused due to my current sysNAND went through the "Unbrick FW" option. (Meaning, OTPhelper thinks I own an O3DS although I have a N3DS) I was just about to check in Godmode9 if my single TMD hash mismatch is anything serious and wanted to go back to a sysNAND I know that works. Now I cannot reboot since my current sysNAND might brick...:(

Last edited by Sukamon,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code:
I think the problem is caused due to my current sysNAND went through the "Unbrick FW" option. (Meaning, OTPhelper thinks I own an O3DS although I have a N3DS) I was just about to check in Godmode9 if my single TMD hash mismatch is anything serious and wanted to go back to a sysNAND I know that works. Now I cannot reboot since my current sysNAND might brick...:(
According to yellows8's ninupdates listing, title ID 0004013000002F02 is for CHN region. I think I saw the same one listed a few pages back, and it was a leftover from some previous downgrade.

EDIT: Disregard, I was probably reading that wrong. It's actually the "SSL" title. https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

EDIT 2: From the validation log, it shows that the TMD is "invalid", but there's no corresponding APP to go along with it, which probably means it's a "leftover" from a previous up/downgrade.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code:

Are you using the latest OTPHelper? Since 0.71 there should be no problem to install your original sysnand since it was a bug in older versions.

Sukamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
EDIT 2: From the validation log, it shows that the TMD is "invalid", but there's no corresponding APP to go along with it, which probably means it's a "leftover" from a previous up/downgrade.
Meaning it could be safe to reboot, since right now it does not let me restore my SysNAND? (I was stupid enough to go ahead and downgraded my SysNAND just out of curiousity if the SysNAND Downgrade Validation would return the same missing TMD hash mismatch, which it does, unaware of the existence of the Godmode9 tool.)

EDIT: @liomajor: I am using the current release, v0.79, so it seems like the bug is still around in the current version, at least for me.

Last edited by Sukamon,

theeternal92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I checked godmode9 and I got two files ending with TMD after I followed the troubleshooting guide. How do I proceed?

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@liomajor: I am using the current release, v0.79, so it seems like the bug is still around in the current version, at least for me.

Try using 0.71, that one worked well for me.

So I checked godmode9 and I got two files ending with TMD after I followed the troubleshooting guide. How do I proceed?

With caution!

I only have one file ending with a .tmd extension: This was a legitimate downgrade error and you have been saved from a brick;
you should restore EmuNAND from emuNAND_formatted.bin and retry from Part 4 - Section II - Step 9

I have two or more files ending with a .tmd extension: Because of a limitation of OTPHelper we cannot yet check hashes of titles
that have ended up with two TMDs (this can be caused by a variety of rare factors). This COULD be a false positive; you can
either flash to SysNAND at your own risk or wait for an updated version of OTPHelper
to be released that can check these.

You could also extract both .tmd files and check if one matches sha256.

Use HxD or another tool to generate sha-256 from that file.

SHA256 > https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...-downgrade-helper.416996/page-20#post-6180066

If one matches, its most likely a false positive (same as i had).

I removed the one with wrong sha-256 and left the matching one to check again > success, or at least no error on this title id ;)

theeternal92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using 0.71, that one worked well for me.

With caution!

You could also extract both .tmd files and check if one matches sha256.

Use HxD or another tool to generate sha-256 from that file.

SHA256 > https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...-downgrade-helper.416996/page-20#post-6180066

If one matches, its most likely a false positive (same as i had).

I removed the one with wrong sha-256 and left the matching one to check again > success, or at least no error on this title id ;)
I guess what I should be asking is if it's absolutely necessary to have this for my new 3DS. Do I absolutely need Arm9loaderhax?

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess what I should be asking is if it's absolutely necessary to have this for my new 3DS. Do I absolutely need Arm9loaderhax?

The answer depends on you, i'm pleased with it to have 100% loading rate without hiccups and hurting thumbs pressing power to 'try again'.

Sukamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you, I've got it to work. I was daring enough to reboot and luckily it worked (after removing the microSD card). I followed the guidelines by Plailect, got the OTP files and restored my system again, which worked with the 0.79 release. Apparently this O3DS/N3DS error message does not show up if you are on 2.1 firmware.

If somebody else ever runs into this problem: Please use the tools given (OTPHelper and its Validation option; godmode9 if you keep getting receiving
TMD hash mismatch error(s) on the emuNAND downgrade validation.) Only restore your SysNAND if you feel safe your downgraded emuNAND is fine!
I made the experience that if you follow the guideline accordingly, a brick at this point is very unlikely.

theeternal92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The answer depends on you, i'm pleased with it to have 100% loading rate without hiccups and hurting thumbs pressing power to 'try again'.
I would like to have it, but it's giving me so much difficulty. I am absolutely certain that I followed the guide perfectly. The first time I tried, I only got one TMD file. I'm just too nervous to go through right now since i don't know how to do that hexadecimal stuff unfortunately.

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to have it, but it's giving me so much difficulty. I am absolutely certain that I followed the guide perfectly. The first time I tried, I only got one TMD file. I'm just too nervous to go through right now since i don't know how to do that hexadecimal stuff unfortunately.

There is no need to do hexadecimal stuff, i mentioned it only because it has the feature to analyse/sha-256 (Analysis>checksums>sha-256) the selected block.

You can also use your favorite tool to generate the files checksum as long its sha-256 capeable.

d0k3 will update otphelper asap after he found a solution, waiting for this is an option too.

theeternal92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no need to do hexadecimal stuff, i mentioned it only because it has the feature to analyse/sha-256 (Analysis>checksums>sha-256) the selected block.

You can also use your favorite tool to generate the files checksum as long its sha-256 capeable.

d0k3 will update otphelper asap after he found a solution, waiting for this is an option too.
I'll go ahead and do that. I don't really want to brick it since I've no clue on how to solder. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

grubgrub

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey,

I have a EU N3ds:

I have used this version of the OTP helper "OTPHelper-20160319-125601"

The opt helper wont let me restore sysnand.

Im currently in the otp helper menu and want to restore the previous sysnand as the downgraded 2.1 sysnand currently fails the validation checks.

I only remembered to do a validation check of the downgraded emuanand just as a pressed the button to flash the sysnand.

I waited for the sysnand to finish the flash and did the validation checks, which failed.

The message i got was:
TMD success: 110
TMD not found: 0
TMD hash mismatch: 3
APP success: 110
APP fragmented:
APP hash mismatch: 0

I decided to flash the sysnand with backup that was made at the start of the process but am receiving the same error that Sukamon has:

"This is a slot0x5 (N3DS) type NAND image!Sorry, you can't inject that, and if I saved your 3DS, you owe me a beer.
SysNAND Restore: failed!"

I also just read that the 0.71 version does not have this bug, but I cant change the version of otp helper that im on without restarting the console.

So right now im stuck in the OTP helper, not sure if I should just take the chance and restart the system and hope for the best even though there are some TMD hash mismatches!

Please help!

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending from where you try to install a nand, it offers/allows install or not.

OTPHelper (3dsx) sysNAND 9.2 > emuNAND_unbricked.bin (2.1) to sysNAND
OTPHelper (arm11/9.bin) Firmware 2.1 > sysNAND_original.bin to sysNAND

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1