• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Release of the Mueller report is imminent, AG Barr has in-hand, judiciary committees being briefed

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 41,346
  • Replies 723
  • Likes 5

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They are not just riling up his base but others also and pushing people to vote Republican instead.
Nonsense. Let me know when party registration for Republicans jumps by a statistically significant margin and then we can talk about it as an actual issue. Fox News grandpas aren't multiplying by budding. 2018 was a landslide victory for Dems, and they rarely win mid-terms so thoroughly.

Not true his approval rating went up after impeachment the highest it’s ever been. From a CNN in the 90s. Not only that Republicans favorability went down.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/20/impeachment.poll/
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/20/impeachment.poll/
Fair enough. Then again, they were trying to impeach him over a consensual blowjob. Or maybe it was for cheating on his wife? A laughable notion now, given the whole Stormy Daniels saga.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nonsense. Let me know when party registration for Republicans jumps by a statistically significant margin and then we can talk about it as an actual issue. Fox News grandpas aren't multiplying by budding. 2018 was a landslide victory for Dems, and they rarely win mid-terms so thoroughly.

Fair enough. Then again, they were trying to impeach him over a consensual blowjob. Or maybe it was for cheating on his wife? A laughable notion now, given the whole Stormy Daniels saga.
You know full well what Clinton was impeached for, but credit where credit is due, it was a similar impeachment trap to the one set before Trump.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I've been standing in line for the latest iPeach for days myself! :P

On a serious note, I fully expect this to bolster the turnout for Trump, both from Republicans and from the undecided. Most people were interested in one thing and one thing only - whether Trump colluded with Russia. The report says he didn't, so that's case open and shut. The sudden shift of focus from Trump-Russia cronyism to obstruction seems like a desperate move to the average voter - "we couldn't get you on A, so we'll get you on B" kind of deal. Desperation is a hard sell to a voter, I sure hope the Dems have something better to sell besides "We Hate Trump" this time around or they're in serious trouble. I listened to Joe's ad yesterday and it was just embarrassing.
They are focusing on the wrong things.

They focus on the dumbest one which is Russia collusion. They are probably better off focusing on Yemen and Emoluments clause, they can go after impeachment on these things and likely won’t boost his approval rating. Yemen there’s a genocide happening so it’ll resonate more with Americans. But they go after the wrong things. They keep going on about Russia.

Last edited by SG854,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They are focusing on the wrong things.

They focus on the dumbest one which is Russia collusion. They are probably better off focusing on Yemen and Emoluments clause, they can go after impeachment on these things and not likely won’t boost his approval rating. Yemen there’s a genocide happening so it’ll resonate more with Americans. But they go after the wrong things. They keep going on about Russia.
I don't think it would. The Trump platform has always been America First, his core group of supporters give zero damns about what happens outside of the borders of the continental United States.

Reactions: lexarvn

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You know full well what Clinton was impeached for, but credit where credit is due, it was a similar imoeachment trap to the one set before Trump.
Oh you're right, holy shit. He was impeached for lying. Just makes it all the more hilarious that Republicans are so against impeaching a guy that lies hundreds of times per day.

They focus on the dumbest one which is Russia collusion. They are probably better off focusing on Yemen and Emoluments clause, they can go after impeachment on these things and likely won’t boost his approval rating. Yemen there’s a genocide happening so it’ll resonate more with Americans. But they go after the wrong things. They keep going on about Russia.
You know that Democrats can lay out as many articles of impeachment as they'd like, right? Including support for the war in Yemen against the will of the House and Senate, emoluments, obstruction, his millions of lies to the American people, and everything else. It doesn't have to be limited to any one thing.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Oh you're right, holy shit. He was impeached for lying. Just makes it all the more hilarious that Republicans are so against impeaching a guy that lies hundreds of times per day.

You know that Democrats can lay out as many articles of impeachment as they'd like, right? Including support for the war in Yemen against the will of the House and Senate, emoluments, obstruction, his millions of lies to the American people, and everything else. It doesn't have to be limited to any one thing.
The main focus is Russia. You hear about Russia more then anything. Russia Collusion is their main platform right now. They are really not focusing much on the other ones.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Lying under oath before the grand jury and tweeting are not exactly in the same league. As far as the articles of impeachment are concerned, we're all aware of how many attempts Democrats will sink to, it's not like they haven't tried already.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The main focus is Russia. You hear about Russia more then anything. Russia Collusion is there main platform right now. They are really not focusing much on the other ones.
It doesn't matter what the main focus of the media is, impeachment would be far-reaching in scope. There's certainly no shortage of ethical and legal violations committed by the Trump administration to be recalled.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
It doesn't matter what the main focus of the media is, impeachment would be far-reaching in scope. There's certainly no shortage of ethical and legal violations committed by the Trump administration to be recalled.
It does to the voting public

Reactions: Foxi4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay? And the voting public would get to see the impeachment proceedings televised. So they'd see first-hand all these different articles laid out, and that it isn't about just one issue. That's kind of the idea, make people realize the scope of all this. Because most won't simply by reading the facts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't worry, we can always bus new voters in, not a problem, comrade!

On a serious note, "we hate Trump" was the slogan last time and it failed big time, it's not sufficient. The Dems need a platform that will resonate with the people.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
On a serious note, "we hate Trump" was the slogan last time and it failed big time, it's not sufficient. The Dems need a platform that will resonate with the people.
Democrats can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. It is possible to both shine a light on all of the Trump administration's atrocities while also promoting the benefits of our own platform. Ultimately Trump will try to promise everything and the kitchen sink just like he did last election, so Dems just need someone willing to call him out on his bullshit.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Okay? And the voting public would get to see the impeachment proceedings televised. So they'd see first-hand all these different articles laid out, and that it isn't about just one issue. That's kind of the idea, make people realize the scope of all this. Because most won't simply by reading the facts.
Not with Russia drowning everything out.

Presidents doing bad things isn’t anything new. Bush and Obama also did many bad things. This is kind of expected of our presidents now since elections are bought off. Trump isn’t unique.

Trump becoming president was an unexpected blow to the establishment. Never Trumpers Republicans didn’t want him and did opposition research on him then gave up, which then the DNC picked it back up and continued with the Steele dossier. The DNC didn’t want him
for obvious reasons. You aren’t going to get better results voting for establishment dems.

The only anti establishment dems I can see is Bernie, maybe Yang and Telsi. Bernie got screwed out of the primaries. And establishment dems are doing it again right now with opposition research on him.

Don't worry, we can always bus new voters in, not a problem, comrade!

Hate Trump is not a platform. I’m trying to give Dems advice to help them. Whether or not they take it is up to them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not with Russia drowning everything out.
So you're just ignoring the fact that I told you there would be a lot of different articles of impeachment, and Russia probably wouldn't be mentioned once while they were being laid out. Okay then.

Presidents doing bad things isn’t anything new.
Neither is impeachment as a consequence of presidents doing "bad things."

Trump becoming president was an unexpected blow to the establishment.
Bullshit, the establishment is loving his corporate tax cuts. They get to pillage the economy before it all comes crashing down again under the weight of de-regulation, tariffs, and other stupid economic moves made by this administration.

The only anti establishment dems I can see is Bernie, maybe Yang and Telsi. Bernie got screwed out of the primaries. And establishment dems are doing it again right now with opposition research on him.
On that we agree, but it's the political establishment on both sides of the aisle that hate Bernie. Still, I'm holding out some hope that he can overcome it all this time around. His name recognition is better than it was in 2016, and his policies transcend party lines to some extent.

Hate Trump is not a platform. I’m trying to give Dems advice to help them. Whether or not they take it is up to them.
It's not about hate, it's about justice. If Republicans want to position themselves as the anti-justice party, that's fine with me.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird deflect, but that's fair.
You said you'd rather talk to me than read the Mueller report, but you need to read/re-read the Mueller report.

I don’t think people that want impeachment are thinking this all the way through.

The biggest fact is there was no underlying collusion. The republican argument is that what was he trying to obstruct if there was no collusion. And their argument is more potent then the Democratic argument. They’ll point out that the original argument was Collusion. And now the goal post was shifted to obstruction. And what a weird way to have a presidency ended, obstructing a crime he didn’t commit with an investigation that shouldn’t have taken place to begin with with. People will empathize with Trump instead.

Look at Clinton. The Democratic Party called out the Republican Party as a bunch of whiners for calling for impeachment because Bill lied about a question (Monica Lewinsky) he should have never been asked to begin with. This boosted his popularity, and will likely do the same for Trump. Impeachment is a step, there still has to be a long process before you see him removed. And will likely not come into fruition with a Republican controlled senate and with many Democrats against impeachment. Numbers are not on your side.

It doesn’t matter what you think, or if you do or do not buy any argument republicans make. What matters is what Republicans think and what the American people think. Even if you think on principle it should be done, you have to ask yourself is it worth it. You have to think of the consequences of impeachment over obstruction. And nothing will rile up his supporters more and get them to vote for him in 2020 than this and increase his approval rating. You’re so close to the next election anyway, and Mike Pence? Do dems really want to gift wrap him another victory. They are not thinking this through.
I never said I wanted impeachment.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You wanted a different outcome of 2016, this much is clear. The methods of "correcting the outcome" you support? Underhanded, if I'm generous. I have other terms for when I'm not in a good mood.
Again, stop articulating positions that are not mine. We can't have a conversation if you're arguing against someone who isn't me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol