• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Release of the Mueller report is imminent, AG Barr has in-hand, judiciary committees being briefed

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 40,952
  • Replies 723
  • Likes 5

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
https://6abc.com/politics/what-happens-after-the-final-mueller-report/5212043/

We're hours, maybe only minutes away from seeing the culmination of two years of investigative work. I have no idea where things will be going from here, but this will be a historic day regardless.

After saying yesterday that he wants the entire report released to the public, Trump unsurprisingly changed his stance today in light of the news, and then jetted off to Mar-A-Lago.

Edit: I'll update the OP with a link to the report (or whatever summary we get) when it's released. That way nobody has to wade through all the off-topic stuff.

Edit2: A summary has been released. Apparently "while the report does not conclude that the president committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

https://www.scribd.com/document/402973302/Letter#from_embed

Kinda anti-climatic if you ask me, feels like we're right back where we started. I'd still like to see more of the report.

Edit3: Redacted Mueller report available to read and download here:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/read-text-full-mueller-report-n994551

Last edited by Xzi,

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
image.png

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
New federal charges were filed against Manafort just an hour ago. The charges are: conspiracy against the United States, and conspiracy to obstruct justice (witness tampering). The likelihood of these charges being filed against Trump as well seems high, thus Mueller's reason for waiting until the day of the report release.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm sure trump won't like it
As quoted from Xzi, "After saying yesterday that he wants the entire report released to the public, Trump unsurprisingly changed his stance today in light of the news, and then jetted off to Mar-A-Lago."

You know he's getting 40+ twatter responses set with, "Paid off to make me look BAD! Just opposite happy, so opposite happy. McTrumps Hamburders and covfefe later!!!" and the ever-popular, "Fake News™!"

Reactions: CallmeBerto

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New federal charges were filed against Manafort just an hour ago. The charges are: conspiracy against the United States, and conspiracy to obstruct justice (witness tampering). The likelihood of these charges being filed against Trump as well seems high, thus Mueller's reason for waiting until the day of the report release.

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1109206940314492928
you DO REALIZE trump can't be charged unless he's successfully impeached right?

Reactions: Cylent1

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump will be exhionerated!
2 years of a worthless witch hunt by the loser dems!
Tell me again who cannot accept the outcome of the election....
It's not about what is right for the USA, it's about the communist left getting their crybaby ways even if it does not make any sense or have any morals.
I predict 1000's of angry bearded ladies running around aiming dildo's in the white mans faces screaming rape!

Last edited by Cylent1,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think that very point is being argued against in front of a secret grand jury. There is no law saying that the president can't be indicted, only an old justice department memo. There are 17 sealed indictments still, and they might end up being executed by SDNY or another office.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Looks like we're gonna have to wait for the weekend for the report to be made public because William Barr wants to take his time removing and redacting information. I honestly wouldn't expect anything less of a man involved in Iran-Contra.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1 thing to remember is the the USA is a republic and we follow the constitutional laws of the land.
We are not a democracy which means mob rule!
GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE WITH THAT BULLSHIT!
No shit, the law of the land is what this is all about. It's Mueller's job to enforce that law. And the president is not above the law.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a good feeling bout this and i'm sure trump won't like it

I'm sure that even if Mueller clearly spelled out Trump committed no crime but at the same time kept bad company and was horrible at judging character--both seem patently clear--that Trump would be more upset than if he were charged with a simple crime and called an otherwise great guy. Now, if that extended to time in jail? Or prison? Honestly, though, I don't expect anything to do be done.

I just wanna say that Robert Muller lied about weapons of mass destruction and led us to the Iraq war.

At least the short clip wasn't a lie AFAIK--deceptive, though, to the extreme*. Nor was it what led us into the Iraq war. It was well known that Saddam had little if any WMDs**, was trying to obstruct verification that 100% were destroyed, and he had an interest, though no real success, of trying to continue his WMD program under UN inspections. I'd argue, either GWB was guilty of believing too much into the innuendo and supposition of US Intelligence or had an ax to grind that promoted a desire for war with Iraq--perhaps to appear strong in the Middle East and otherwise to have a direct presence there. The point being is, if Trump can ignore US Intelligence then so could GWB.

It's clear, if anything, US Intelligence was being lead to research and promote possible threats precisely to "prevent another 9/11". With the mentality of "Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists," and fighting them over there to not have to fight them here (can't readily find a quote with a date), it was only a matter of time for the US to attack someone. Saddam was just very stupid and somewhat boxed in: he needed to keep the specter of WMDs like North Korea to discourage regional invasion but be transparent enough that the US or Europe wouldn't interfere. He played that game too long and suffered badly, as I tend to believe North Korea will suffer some day--hard to be sure, of course.

This, btw, isn't meant to excuse Mueller's "technically correct" speech to Congress. Really, Colin Powell holding a model vial of anthrax for the UN did more to directly imply a threat--and Mueller actually didn't go along with the implied threat wen pushed. The sad part is, at the time conspiracy theories and non-media "fake news" were the norm, so people kept believing the lies. The UN knew better and didn't add support precisely because their own investigator made it clear that Saddam was merely playing a PR game, not actually making WMDs or successfully hording them. And not to put too fine a point on it, but they knew precisely what to look for because Europe and the US are the ones who supplied said material components for Iraq's previous war against Iran. So at some level, I can understand the US's desire than it and Europe clean up the mess that it created (or at least supported).

*sigh* In the end, the most important thing is to not listen to the words of a few "top men". It's to listen to the evidence and make your own judgment.

* Was there a fear Saddam had WMDs? Sure because fear is an emotion that's not inherently based upon fact. Was there a fear Saddam would given WMDs to terrorists? Again, yes, because fear is often irrational. One could have a fear of any country giving WMDs to terrorists.

** Misplaced material components or insufficient tracking in most operations means rarely can you be 100% sure if 100% were destroyed. But given no one knows where they are, they're effectively unavailable which negates a reasonable argument that there's a threat of their use.

Reactions: CallmeBerto and Xzi

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only is there no law saying this, but there's also no precedent. The JD policy of not indicting a sitting president is based on a side note in a policy explanation about why they can indict a sitting vice president (contrasting the two in a hypothetical sense), but the policy wasn't meant to close the door on the topic on indicting a president. It didn't even really address it. It basically said, "A vice president isn't important like a president is, so we can indict a vice president for sure." That's what the policy is based on, which is pretty meaningless. Even the authors said it's not meant to form policy regarding the president.

In summary, the JD policy is subject to change.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over