Homebrew [Release] Linux for the 3DS

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those asking for a "dingux" port, this in essence is already it. Dingux is just a modified firmware for running the linux kernel on the dingoo, all the apps and emulators are just standard linux software which should work on the 3ds.

EverythingTriggersMe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again dingux is just the firmware, the software that runs on it is just standard linux software all you need to do is cross compile them.
I never said it didn't run on a Linux system. That's why I even asked here at all. Again, I just asked if it would be possible to run dingux through this launcher.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I never said it didn't run on a Linux system. That's why I even asked here at all. Again, I just asked if it would be possible to run dingux through this launcher.
I believe he means "dingux" is the firmware that allows the Dingoo to run the Linux kernel. What you probably want is the dingux desktop environment - as in, the interface and menus. Running dingux on anything but a dingoo is impossible, but it would be possible with a lot of effort to achieve something similar for the 3DS (3DSux? Citrux?), and just slap the dingux desktop environment on top of it.
Of course I might just be talking out my ass so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: SLiV3R

EverythingTriggersMe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe he means "dingux" is the firmware that allows the Dingoo to run the Linux kernel. What you probably want is the dingux desktop environment - as in, the interface and menus. Running dingux on anything but a dingoo is impossible, but it would be possible with a lot of effort to achieve something similar for the 3DS (3DSux? Citrux?), and just slap the dingux desktop environment on top of it.
Of course I might just be talking out my ass so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Dingux is an OS replacement for the dingoo that runs on the Linux kernel. It's been ported to multiple devices though already.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Dingux is an OS replacement for the dingoo that runs on the Linux kernel. It's been ported to multiple devices though already.
A quick Google search reveals the Dingoo carries an A320 MIPS processor. If Dingoo has been ported to any other devices, they probably share the same architecture. As you might already know, the 3DS has a an ARM processor, which is radically different, so porting it is probably out of the question.

Reactions: SLiV3R

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
How about this, we work on adding support to the Linux kernel for the 3DS instead of arguing about porting some firmware that probably does not belong in the first place?
Sounds like a plan, boss.
Unrelated question, how hard would it be to add SD, wireless and GPU support to this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hiiiiii