[Release] Linux for the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xerpi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ParzivalWolfram

ParzivalWolfram GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    i mean... yes, but we're working at bare-metal on the 3DS, not the DS, so the ARM11 is involved, not the ARM7.

Some things are only accessible from one or the other processor, like the WiFi SoC or the SD card.

'tis a mess.

KidNezha and Pickle_Rick like this.
  2. JMK19

JMK19 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2019
    United States
    Hi,
    I'm using a N3DS XL and got it to work, and Weston is rotated in Landscape, but my mouse only moves around. No clicking. Tried the left/right trigger, and pretty much every other button on the device. What do I do? (Trying to click on weston-terminal)

(EDIT: I now see that it's a bug that's being fixed, right?)

Attached Files:

Last edited by JMK19, Jun 8, 2019
  3. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    This is a super-old version. Please download the latest tester12 package and, if desired, create your own buildroot package to add your own programs at (again) the repo linked above.

But, yes, the mouse is broken. Most can't even get mouse mode to activate at all.

4. Nemos59

Nemos59 A random user

Aug 1, 2018
    France
    Somewhere
    I wish I have some knowledge to help... The only thing I can do is 'beta test' versions...

5. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    start here http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

6. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, true. We're also modding Linux to actually do more than boot though xD

good place to start though

7. ChrisCross

ChrisCross Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    Germany
    Hey,
    How can I start the weston-termind?

8. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    If you're using a build posted by me, Weston has been entirely removed. If you're using Xerpi's build, it's because the mouse mode doesn't work.

9. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    and HEEEEEEEEEERE WE GO

unknown-3.

Pickle_Rick likes this.
  10. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    What's the status report on this port?

11. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    Also wanted to add that I wouldn't bother trying to get a DE running on the 3DS. As it's not really useful for that purpose. This linux port would be killer with something like GmenuNX. (Which runs on those cheap dingux handhelds that keep releasing.) This would make the 3DS the fastest (by a wide margin) and highest quality dingux handheld available. It's designed for low res screens like the 3DS's too. Some screenshots (you can change the theme/the default is kinda ugly):
    [​IMG]

12. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    SD R/W bug fixed (hopefully) but new versions of buildroot break patches, so it's either kernel 4.20.x and a semi-working build or kernel 5.0.x (kernel version that SD fix was made against and needs) and a failed build. Looking into possibly switching away from buildroot.

(I also have a new dedicated build setup, so build time went from 6 hours to 1.5 hours max, so updates should be slightly faster)

Last edited by ParzivalWolfram, Jul 10, 2019
    KidNezha and Pickle_Rick like this.
  13. able

able Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    I havent checked this in a while. Im so proud of you guys man this is incredible.