Homebrew [Release] Linux for the 3DS

ParzivalWolfram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to alarm anyone but I got a rootfs to successfully compile. It hangs on boot, but it compiled. God, i'm SO CLOSE!
(It had been updated to use the newest kernel and had the untested SD support. It also had weston removed because weston was being a dick to buildroot.)

Reactions: Itzumi and Nemos59

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to alarm anyone but I got a rootfs to successfully compile. It hangs on boot, but it compiled. God, i'm SO CLOSE!
(It had been updated to use the newest kernel and had the untested SD support. It also had weston removed because weston was being a dick to buildroot.)
What does weston do anyway

ParzivalWolfram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it turns out it's actually a 50/50 split between the current crash being Linux's fault or my 3DS' fault. It fails when looking at my 3DS' NAND to determine what its version and whatnot are, so I need a few others to try builds to see if they boot.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it turns out it's actually a 50/50 split between the current crash being Linux's fault or my 3DS' fault. It fails when looking at my 3DS' NAND to determine what its version and whatnot are, so I need a few others to try builds to see if they boot.
I can test on N2dsXL

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
FBI is not a good benchmark. It gives you approximately half of the real write speed since it has to read the CIA file while writing to files on the same SD card.

ParzivalWolfram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FBI is not a good benchmark. It gives you approximately half of the real write speed since it has to read the CIA file while writing to files on the same SD card.
I know that, and I took that into account. It is a good benchmark for what we're doing, since we'll be reading and executing from SD while writing to swap on SD as well.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Itzumi,

ParzivalWolfram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Itzumi

Nemos59

A random user
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by Nemos59,

ParzivalWolfram

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I have the error but I can login.
Starting network: ip: can't find device 'lo'
FAIL
Yeah, that's the one I broke. It also seems I've managed to bypass the NAND error by breaking the SD/MMC driver ENTIRELY.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im doing a backup of my sd that's long overdue, I'll edit this post with my results soon
It'd be a good idea to do a full SysNAND backup too, as the driver handles interfacing with that too.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I know that, and I took that into account. It is a good benchmark for what we're doing, since we'll be reading and executing from SD while writing to swap on SD as well.
I would be careful using the SD card as swap. The Raspberry Pi is a great example of what can happen. It apparently smokes brand new (micro)SD cards within months.

Reactions: Itzumi

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
On the o3DS, n3DS, and n3DSXL, the SD card reader is on a separate PCB. Possible eMMC replacement?
As long as programs with more than 128/256MB are not run, the RAM situation should be fine. Did you know that Linux ran on the PS2 which the retail models had just 32MB of RAM?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte