[Release] Linux for the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xerpi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ParzivalWolfram

ParzivalWolfram GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    That too.

Pickle_Rick likes this.
  2. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    I might just have to use 2 VMs concurrently in a really jank setup to get it to compile.

3. Bene-Hrethgir

Bene-Hrethgir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    I'm crazy as hell and when you say there is old hardware I think lets just replace it XD I would be willing to undertake some crazy hardmod expansions if the were proposed super off subject though

4. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    Do it. Upgrade the Wi-Fi chipset, the SD hardware and... fuck it, add more NAND.

Itzumi likes this.
  5. Itzumi

Itzumi goofball of the interwebs

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    And then tell us how to do it lol

6. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    Preferably a way that doesn't involve soldering wires to surface mount pads.

Itzumi likes this.
  7. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    We're... running on the ARM9. We're just not running with the normal kernel and whatnot, so we benefit from none of that.

@xerpi what the fuck are these questions help IMG_20181107_182053.

edit:

Also fuck these toolchains, they're always named wrong and don't support what they need to despite being the same version and they give me indigestion please help i wanna beat somebody
    IMG_20181107_182550.

Last edited by ParzivalWolfram, Nov 8, 2018
  8. xerpi
    OP

xerpi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Barcelona
    Say yes to those questions. PXI is the protocol used to talk with the ARM9 processor.
    Also make sure you do "make ARCH=arm whatever...".

EDIT: if you use the provided 3ds defconfig it shouldn't ask any questions.

Last edited by xerpi, Nov 8, 2018
  9. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    yeah, the defconfig did some weird shit and looked for the toolchain in /opt still and I couldn't figure out how to change it at first. I managed to edit it, though, so it's just the defconfig plus path changes.

10. Shadowzz1337

Shadowzz1337 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    Russia
    Hey guys!
    I stumbled upon this thread in my pursuit of playing windows games on my new 2ds xl.
    And as I understood buildroot is something a bit far from Ubuntu or Debian.
    I wanted to know - is it actually possible to install qemu and wine and play some really old pc games or not?
    Btw in Weston I also can't press buttons and it looks like select does nothing. Weird.

If it is possible to play anything please provide a guide.
    Thank you!

11. Itzumi

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    yeah thats not happening (right now at least), this isnt THAT type of linux.
    try pinbox if you want to play windows games that bad.

Shadowzz1337 likes this.
  12. Shadowzz1337

Shadowzz1337 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    Russia
    Was anticipating something like that, thanks for a fast response!
    Also thanks for pinbox, but I actually wanted to play them on the go, not through LAN streaming.
    Oh well. Is there any chance for this little busybox and weston to become THAT Linux?
    Now I just fell like this is the closest we are to PC gaming on 3ds.

Itzumi likes this.
  13. Itzumi

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    well keep in mind the lowish specs of the (n)3ds, it probably wont be possible to do what your trying to do.

Shadowzz1337 likes this.
  14. Shadowzz1337

Shadowzz1337 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    Russia
    Are they seriously that bad?
    I mean, even no chance of pulling of a game of HOMM 3 for example?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

In the current state of this linux build, there is no way to install, for example, VCMI?
    wiki.vcmi.eu/Installation_on_Linux

15. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Eventually it might be possible though it would probably be more "crawl" than "run" even for simple games like freecell and spider and you can forget about even 3d pinball - space cadet being playable.

As for HOMM3, no way in hell unless you are willing to wait a couple of hours just for the title screen to load.

Itzumi and Shadowzz1337 like this.
  16. Shadowzz1337

Shadowzz1337 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    Russia
    What about games which were ported to Linux and do not require wine and qemu? Same story?

17. Nemos59

Nemos59 A random user

Aug 1, 2018
    France
    Somewhere
    The 3DS has 0 chance of running PC games, unless you want to wait hours for a frame to load.

Itzumi likes this.
  18. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    The main problem is having to emulate an x86 processor which is going to be required with most Linux games. Unless the game is open source or compiled for ARM11 you aren't going to get a decent speed out of it. You eventually might be able to get some simple WinRT apps/games working through Wine at a reasonable speed but that's about it when it comes to Windows stuff.

Realistically the best you could hope for, assuming they get OpenGL working, are easier ports of open source games similar to what Dingux has, especially since there are several homebrew games that no longer work because they have to be run using the old school oothax/menuhax/hbl cia and don't work with Rosalina.

Last edited by nl255, Nov 10, 2018
    Itzumi likes this.
  19. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    My goal is to get the tools needed for getting utilities like that on the system. Eventually either I or someone else will figure it out. (I'm the only one working on it right now, if I remember correctly.)

Right now, i'm trying to get the experimental SD write support (written by DarkKirb) and New model features working (New features would be enabled automatically on boot if drivers are installed and if booting on a New model DS.)

holy-wood, Itzumi and Shadowzz1337 like this.
  20. Shadowzz1337

Shadowzz1337 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    Russia

Rn I somehow got my programmer friend into compiling a linux system for 3ds and he's been busy ever since. If something works out - I'll let you guys know.

holy-wood likes this.
  21. holy-wood

holy-wood Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    Germany
    Is Linux actually working on your New 3DS? I've got an N3DSXL on the newest firmware (Luma 9.1.7, bootstrap9 and well, the latest 3DS system version), my problem is that Im unable to change the input mode even while pressing select plus the 'weston environment(?)' there im unable to start the terminal, did you fixed the issue, and if so could you maybe upload your latest build, please?

EDIT

Or does your WiFi works on your 3DS with Linux?

Last edited by holy-wood, Nov 15, 2018