[Release] Linux for the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xerpi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. able

able Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    thanks!

2. ParzivalWolfram

ParzivalWolfram GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    nah man, you should be good.

I'm still trying to cram a bunch of s*** into this so I can say I helped. :rofl: It'll be updated in a while, probably.

Itzumi likes this.
  3. Itzumi

Itzumi goofball of the interwebs

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    What kind of stuff are you putting in?

4. Crimson Cuttlefish

Crimson Cuttlefish GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2016
    United States
    Man. the keyboard is... something.
    Also, what does it mean by "mouse mode?" I have control over the mouse (left C-stick, though I've no idea how to click) no matter how many times I press select. Is it meant to change touchpad controls? It does not.

5. Nemos59

Nemos59 A random user

Aug 1, 2018
    France
    Somewhere
    Some of us have the same issue here... Dunno why

6. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    X, SD R/W support (from DarkKirb), Python, perl, some libs, make, etc. Just baseline stuff.
    It was going well until I found out that I needed to compile on a 32-bit machine due to the "as" executable not supporting a certain option on 64-bit Linux, which broke the compiler. Now nothing at all works.

Itzumi and Pickle_Rick like this.
  7. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    X? Are you using openbox? That would probably run fine.

8. able

able Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    now if only we could get a package manager and wifi working

9. Bene-Hrethgir

Bene-Hrethgir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    if Linux3DS can't write to the SD then how is the OS supposed to unpack/install anything........ also it does not run at all, but I don't see any actual help being doled out to anyone saying there having issues......... and why don't we just port LinuxDS(google it) they literally built a Linux OS(complete with its own syntax!) from the ground up and would prolly work more than skippily via a port to the 3DS

Last edited by Bene-Hrethgir, Oct 10, 2018
  10. xerpi
    OP

xerpi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Barcelona
    I'm aware of that but unfortunately I don't have free time to look into it.

11. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    It's required that the Linux system run instead of the normal 3DS Home Menu and such because the 3DS' normal software doesn't provide what is called a "POSIX interface", so it'd be crippled at best and impossible realistically. Also, SD read/write support is being tested and the only help we can give on the mouse issue is NONE as it's just... completely busted right now. We're working on it, quit bitching.

EDIT: Oh, and because we're using the official Linux kernel, not some rewrite with a hell of a lot more bugs.

Wifi would require a new driver for the 3DS' weird hardware. Doable, but right now we need the tools to be able to make and test one, which is my current goal.

Can I just send you the compiled archive? I'm having too much trouble with trying to get things to compile as of now. If you have time to, that is...

Last edited by ParzivalWolfram, Oct 10, 2018 - Reason: meep
    kittensauce likes this.
  12. Bene-Hrethgir

Bene-Hrethgir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    POSIX is written in a hand tailored UNIX that is simpler than most(for maximum intercompatiblility) and you are saying a similar system could not be "ported"(a re-write obviously) from a POSIX framework to the 3DS boot image(NAND)(the one on the physical memory not anything on the SD, like .FIRMs,EmuNAND ect.) in FIRM0/FIRM1? just a question not bitching

13. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    I'm saying one isn't provided by the normal Nintendo-approved OS thing. Whatever it's called. This would make it impractical to port and make it into a normal CIA/3DSX-style app.

14. Bene-Hrethgir

Bene-Hrethgir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    So why don't we build a completely custom
    based on Linux?(which obviously wouldn't have Nintendos approval)

Last edited by Bene-Hrethgir, Oct 10, 2018
  15. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    We're basically doing that already.

16. Bene-Hrethgir

Bene-Hrethgir Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    United States
    I think that the 3DS OS should be added OVER a Linux base(have Linux VM the 3DS OS)

17. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    That'd require a larger amount of processing power and RAM than the New 3DS has.

18. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    The RAM problem could be solved with more Swap partition. The kernel could be HLE'd (look at Citra), but performance won't be impressive.

It's more work than saying "I think that the 3DS OS should be added OVER a Linux base(have Linux VM the 3DS OS)".

19. ParzivalWolfram

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    Keep in mind that the maximum SD write speed is like 1.2MB/s due to cheaper and older parts being used in the 3DS. Swap wouldn't be practical on SD and NAND doesn't have enough space (well, except maybe if we used the N3DS' Bonus Drive thing, but still)

Last edited by ParzivalWolfram, Oct 11, 2018 - Reason: forgot a small bit of info
  20. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    That sounds like a quick way to kill the NAND. Lol.