OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
deutschdeduktionspiel.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
So finally, Kame Editor has reached v1.0.0 and can be used to create full featured 3DS themes. You can find the Mac builds here: https://bitbucket.org/beelzy/kame-editor/downloads/
I have a PKGBUILD in the AUR for Archlinux users here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kame-editor-git
And you can find the source code here: https://gitlab.com/beelzy/kame-editor

If you are or know a distro maintainer who would be interested in packaging this app, there are packaging notes in the source repo, but it shouldn't be too complicated.

There will be more to come; currently, Kame Editor doesn't display the 3D folder in the top screen. I'm still trying to decide how best to do that.

Theoretically, Kame Editor should work on Windows; I've just never tried it and wasn't sure if there was interest for it.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    264 KB · Views: 803

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Another update.

* Transparent textures will show up in the preview with a black background like they do on the 3DS. The image picker thumbnail still looks the same.
* Certain elements in the preview will show their pressed state when you try to change the pressed colors.
* Thanks to fpm, I am now including some .deb builds for Debian/Ubuntu-based distro users.

And the biggest change: Translations are now included. I started with a German one, but it's probably got plenty of grammar issues; feel free to improve on it or add another one. If you're interested, there are some instructions on the Qt page for how to go about it: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linguist-translators.html And in the README: https://gitlab.com/beelzy/kame-editor#translations
If you're not interested in building from source, I'd recommend getting Linguist from here instead of downloading the entire Qt framework: https://github.com/lelegard/qtlinguist-installers/releases
If you're on Linux, you probably already have it anyways, or your package manager provides it in a more reasonable size.

I haven't created the Settings widget yet, so you can't manually change the language yet; it's still tied to your OS system language.

Reactions: I pwned U!

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Big update, with some nice changes. Most notably the 3D folder in the top screen preview and the settings widget. Also, thanks to some other contributors on the Homebrew discord, I've received some Windows builds. A side-effect of using Qt5, I guess.

Downloads are here, as always: https://bitbucket.org/beelzy/kame-editor/downloads/
I now include unofficial deb packages, but they're made with fpm, so they're not distro compliant or anything and they're untested; if you want it in your distro, try to get a distro maintainer interested, or do it yourself. Some packaging notes are listed in the README.

I'm still open for translations.

* Add 3D folder to top screen
* Add settings widget
* Save hidden color values
* Add a configurable deploy path
* Save dock widget and window state

* Make code compatible with MinGW
* Add unit tests
* Color dialog no longer covers the preview window when it opens
* Use more QStylesheet colors
* Prevent loading another wav in the audio converter if a wav is already loading

Attachments

• screenshot-5.png
    screenshot-5.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 501
Last edited by Tychon,

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Kame Editor is now at 1.2.1. I've fixed a few minor bugs and included new console skins.

Builds here: https://bitbucket.org/beelzy/kame-editor/downloads/
Translations are still welcomed.

* Don't use reserved NOERROR enums
* Update translations
* Fix New 2DS XL frame

* Update credits
* Add BGM autoplay settings option
* Improve console menu functionality
* Fix long SFX warning duration
* Add warning about unsupported WAV bps (16 and 8 bit only because rstmcpp does not have encoding for anything else)
* Add skins for other 3DS consoles

Attachments

• screenshot-6.png
    screenshot-6.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: Vulpes-Vulpeos

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
There were some plans for that, as I wrote about in the documentation. The problem is that the functionality for that would be provided by kame-tools, but I never added that functionality. There is some demand for it, and we did discuss how it could work (we have to dump the images and such somewhere). I just haven't gotten around to working on that yet. It wasn't what I was going to be working on next though; that was going to be palette management and improvements for selecting and managing colors. There is some form of that in the latest source code, but I never finished that, so I didn't make builds of that yet.

Ryumaru

Creator of themes for 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
There were some plans for that, as I wrote about in the documentation. The problem is that the functionality for that would be provided by kame-tools, but I never added that functionality. There is some demand for it, and we did discuss how it could work (we have to dump the images and such somewhere). I just haven't gotten around to working on that yet. It wasn't what I was going to be working on next though; that was going to be palette management and improvements for selecting and managing colors. There is some form of that in the latest source code, but I never finished that, so I didn't make builds of that yet.
I see, looking forward to this update
You could also add an option to hide the filename ?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png

Which appears when the theme has a single line.
I love your editor, it has many features.

Last edited by Ryumaru,

Ryumaru

Creator of themes for 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
That's just the way the 3DS works, if I understand what you're getting at. If you don't want that game text to show up, change the zoom. Those buttons work.
I did not refer to hiding this field in the editor but in the body_LZ.bin file.
The Usagi Editor allows you to remove this field in the theme, the body_LZ.bin file is missing this text.
preview-site.png

Last edited by Ryumaru,

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the feedback; I found the flag you were talking about. It's unusual in that it takes 3 values and not 2. This has now been fixed, and I've included it along with some other features in the next update:

Builds: https://bitbucket.org/beelzy/kame-editor/downloads/
Kame-Editor v1.2.3
* Implement color palette management
* Add missing hidden game text option
* Add optional small icon to SMDH optional section

Another minor improvement: If you're on Windows, and have an unusual graphics card or it's an integrated Intel graphics card, and you've experienced some odd issues, you can now run Kame Editor in no-msaa mode with a batch script, so you don't need command line for it. The .bat file is now included starting in 1.2.3 builds from the downloads page.

You can find more details about the color palette management in the documentation: https://gitlab.com/beelzy/kame-editor/wikis/home#palette-management

Translations are welcomed as always.

Last edited by Tychon,

Bluespheal

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I got a "Theme failed to deploy" message when trying to save the theme as a zip. what could've caused it?

Edit: ok, so I edited some Optional settings and it worked, excellent editor!, I really like it, the only thing I'd like to see changed if any is that it remembers where the color picker appears or have it appear in front of other windows, like the one who opened it.

Last edited by Bluespheal, , Reason: problem solved.

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the feedback.

I've tried my best to make the color picker appear somewhere reasonable, so primarily not covering the preview, but that's a bit hard to do properly on smaller screens. If people prefer the picker to just appear in one place, I can look into seeing how to do that.

Unfortunately, I can't say when the next Windows version will be released, as I don't make those builds. You can try to contact Luigoalma on the Nintendo Homebrew Discord about it though.

Reactions: Bluespheal

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Good news, Kame Editor is now at 1.2.5. There's a major change, and if you update kame-tools as well, you can now import themes from zip archives.

Another nice feature is that the color picker now has an additional section that keeps track of all the colors you've recently used. It's shared between all the different color pickers, so you can re-use the colors.

Builds: https://bitbucket.org/beelzy/kame-editor/downloads/
* Make import dialog file/folder select buttons green
* Add recently used color swatches to color picker
* Add core qt5 translations for standard buttons
* Fix audio looping bug so that seek doesn't land in the middle of a sample byte
* Display tooltips for selected files/folders in the import dialog

1.2.4 changes
* Enable theme archive importing with kame-tools v1.3.2+
* Fix bugs related to hiding game text when disabled

You may notice that the import feature has been available since 1.2.4, but we didn't announce it because there was no Windows build.

Translations are as always still welcomed.

D

Deleted User

It looks beautiful and I love the features, but I'm finding the app is very picky with image dimensions. I have a perfectly 512x256 image but it refuses to take it. Even a smaller sized image won't be taken.

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
It looks beautiful and I love the features, but I'm finding the app is very picky with image dimensions. I have a perfectly 512x256 image but it refuses to take it. Even a smaller sized image won't be taken.
I've been unable to reproduce that issue, unfortunately. I did have someone else report a similar problem, but I can't remember if the no-msaa version worked or not. You're welcome to try it though; if you're on a Unix system, run kame-editor with the --no-msaa flag. If you're on Windows, try the .bat file that comes with it.

If that still doesn't work, you can at least send me the image you used so that I can try to reproduce it on my end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol