Homebrew [Release] Handy 3DS - Atari Lynx Emulator

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Nice release! This is the best so far! Sound is great! Menu is nice. It still freeze after around 10 minutes. But that is much better than 1 minute ;)

I noticed that the emulator got huge issues when you put in earphones during the emulator is running. Nothing that important, but it could perhaps help you find out more bugs :)

Thanx again for your work with this!

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I noticed that the emulator got huge issues when you put in earphones during the emulator is running. Nothing that important, but it could perhaps help you find out more bugs :)

I don't use earphones, but i'll test it. How is the sound? Are there some sound glitches like on o3ds? the o3DS syncs framerate timing every 12 frames while n3ds does it every single frame, so maybe n3ds never lose the sync. Let me know please.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could someone compile the sources on my github and check if the emulator freezes?

I can't solve the problem and I need to know if there is someting wrong with my toolchain because I have the same problem with Pokemini.

The two emulators share only this code:
- Sf2dlib
- Ctrulib
- How app state events are handled (I'm checking this part, but shouldn't be the cause of the freeze)

I tested old versions of ctrulib back to May without any change. Now I'm updating both ctrulib and sfdlib to this week versions, but I don't expect differences.

This week end I'll try to eliminate sf2dlib code drawing directly to fb, but if I don't find anything I don't know what else I coul do.

Reactions: SLiV3R

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone compile the sources on my github and check if the emulator freezes?

I can't solve the problem and I need to know if there is someting wrong with my toolchain because I have the same problem with Pokemini.

The two emulators share only this code:
- Sf2dlib
- Ctrulib
- How app state events are handled (I'm checking this part, but shouldn't be the cause of the freeze)

I tested old versions of ctrulib back to May without any change. Now I'm updating both ctrulib and sfdlib to this week versions, but I don't expect differences.

This week end I'll try to eliminate sf2dlib code drawing directly to fb, but if I don't find anything I don't know what else I coul do.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to compiling, but if you want to talk me through it I'd be more than happy to help out ...I've been wanting to figure out the whole compiling thing anyway.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm a complete n00b when it comes to compiling, but if you want to talk me through it I'd be more than happy to help out ...I've been wanting to figure out the whole compiling thing anyway.

It's better if you start with something else. There are too many libraries to compile and install to build this emulator.

But you can help making some test for me. I noticed that when not using zoom (i.e. 1x small screen) the emulator is more stable.

I need to know from different users how much time the emulator can run without freezing with 1x screen on o3ds and n3ds. I f you have time please make several test (2 or 3).

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's better if you start with something else. There are too many libraries to compile and install to build this emulator.

But you can help making some test for me. I noticed that when not using zoom (i.e. 1x small screen) the emulator is more stable.

I need to know from different users how much time the emulator can run without freezing with 1x screen on o3ds and n3ds. I f you have time please make several test (2 or 3).

No problem. I'm happy to help in anyway I can, if for no other reason than to just show gratitude for your efforts in giving the 3ds scene these great emulators.
I'll start with o3ds running Handy from cia, then from 3dsx, then n3ds using 3dsx. I'll post results soon.

edit 1st result
I've just had the emulator running for over 2 hrs on my o3ds, with no freeze/crash.
Played Warbirds, Battlezone and Qix for about 45mins each without exiting the emulator. Fiddled with some config settings in between games to see if I could get it to crash, but with the screen set at x1 it's really, really stable. Decided that as it hadn't crashed and I'd been running it in excess of 2hrs (and I'd beaten my hi-score on Qix) that I'd call it a day and move on to testing it on my n3dsxl.
For the record; x1 screen, background on, limited framerate, sound on, fps off, lower screen on. Cia version.

edit 2nd result
N3dsxl, Homebrew version - First boot crashed before it even let me set the screen size to x1. Second attempt; after setting the config to the same as the settings I used on my o3ds I booted up Qix and it froze/crashed after 5mins. Third try, froze/crashed after 10 mins.
Also, I noticed that although it was set to not show framerate it still displayed 60fps on the lower screen. Something else that struck me was how much faster and smoother Qix ran on the n3ds than the old 3ds. Despite both of them limiting to 60fps, it seemed to run about 50% faster on the n3ds.

I'll test it some more over the weekend.

Last edited by duwen,

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had it crash in the rom select menu (o3ds, 2x). I know it sometimes crashes, but this shows that the crash isn't just in the emulation (unless the game is still running when paused).

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just had it crash in the rom select menu (o3ds, 2x). I know it sometimes crashes, but this shows that the crash isn't just in the emulation (unless the game is still running when paused).

Thank you, I already knew it. I did a lot of testing this week.

The emulator not crashing with video at 1x gave me an hint and I think I have the solution now.

With an increased size for the GPUCMD and for the TEMPPOOL buffers (4x) I'm not experiencing freezes anymore. this moening after two hours of chip's challenge intro, Handy is still running and yesterday I played a Pokemon Tetris on pokemini without problems (both at fullscreen).

But before a new release I'm waiting for the test with video at 1x on n3ds.

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thank you, I already knew it. I did a lot of testing this week.

The emulator not crashing with video at 1x gave me an hint and I think I have the solution now.

With an increased size for the GPUCMD and for the TEMPPOOL buffers (4x) I'm not experiencing freezes anymore. this moening after two hours of chip's challenge intro, Handy is still running and yesterday I played a Pokemon Tetris on pokemini without problems (both at fullscreen).

Will you work in other emulators after this? the people is working in ports but they won't be enjoyable in O3DS because those are ports lol

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Will you work in other emulators after this? the people is working in ports but they won't be enjoyable in O3DS because those are ports lol

Now I'm busy with work and family. I can code on 3ds fulltime only during holidays so now I need more time for give you other releases.

Anyay I have the 2600 port almost completed and from yesterday also compiling. Don't know how much faster I can go, In August I would have completed it in two days, now I need at least one or two week for the first alpha without sound.

In the future I would like to complete the NeoPop emulator released a year ago introducing a gui, wideo zoom and sound.

I also studied the code of SMS and would like to try some experiments on Danielps R3Ddragon. But not before Xmas holidays :lol:.

Last edited by nop90,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bad news.

After 140 minutes Handy crashed. Now I'm doing another test. It's very frustrating.

If it's confirmed that the running time is longer I could make the buff size a little bigger.

If you want to test it, you can find the modded version attached (only the 3dsx file). Test it on n3ds please.

Attachments

• Handy3ds.zip
    802.8 KB · Views: 134

lordgoober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this is the place to ask about this but is there any way to rotate the screen on this? Some games are played with the Lynx vertical which is kind of hard to do on a 3ds ^_^.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I posted my n3ds results in my second edit to my last post; Ran it twice at x1 screen - crashed at 5mins and 10mins.

If you want to test it, you can find the modded version attached (only the 3dsx file). Test it on n3ds please.

I'll try this modified version today.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First run of new version crashed after less than 30 seconds on n3ds.
Second run went for over an hour, but I can't say exactly how long it lasted as I had guests round and didn't notice exactly when it crashed - if I had to guess, I'd say it was around 2 hrs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@