pcs3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
@d0k3 got it to crash. entering a folder with a corrupted file/folder did it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 358

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@d0k3
I just wanted to thank you for the new bootloader mode, looks so professional and works pretty smooth, I don't think I will ever return ti B9S :)
Btw I also wanted to ask you for 2 new features (only if you want to add them):

1.- Add script's folder sorting to get scripts organized by categories.
2.- Add a fuction to gm9 scripts to prompt the list of titles installed, just to get the rid of the TID on scripts.
Thanks, glad you like it! Scripts folder sorting should already work. You can create subfolders inside 0:/gm9/scripts, which will then also be shown. As for the second thing - yeah, doesn't sound too bad, but can you give me a use case?

@d0k3 got it to crash. entering a folder with a corrupted file/folder did it...
Get the recent release, @pcs3rd, test if it still happens. This is a Luma exception, GM9 now (since a few versions) has it's own exception handler.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK. I've got it. Sorry for taking so long, but, I went to snap the picture and got the battery critical warning. So I had to let it charge, got watching something, dozed off, etc. I made them archives so they wouldn't clutter the page.
Thanks! Just a quick note (in my professional work I deal in compression, thus forgive the nitpicking) - it's not really worth it compressing JPEG via 7z or ZIP. The incnonvenience of another container outweighs the small gains achieved by compression. If you really want to compress JPEG, you'd look for some tool like packJPG or PAQ8, but then you'd generate files no one has the tools for. So, tl;dr, don't compress JPEG :).

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Just a quick note (in my professional work I deal in compression, thus forgive the nitpicking) - it's not really worth it compressing JPEG via 7z or ZIP. The incnonvenience of another container outweighs the small gains achieved by compression. If you really want to compress JPEG, you'd look for some tool like packJPG or PAQ8, but then you'd generate files no one has the tools for. So, tl;dr, don't compress JPEG :).

I'm aware of this. I just archived them for the hash checks. I suppose I could have just included MD5 hashes, but I'm lazy. I should have chosen the store option, though. But I didn't have my mind entirely on the project at hand. You see, I inadvertently discovered a massive bulge in my cell phone's battery (I noticed the case felt strange) when taking the pictures. So, I'm sure you can probably imagine how finding this thing in such an unstable state might have interrupted my focus somewhat. It literally looks like it was one charge away from exploding on me. Fortunately it's Lithium Ion, so, it's probably not going to catch fire just sitting here. If it was Lithium Polymer, though, I'd have found the nearest metal dumpster to throw it into already (better that catches fire than my house).

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just want to thank d0k3 for this incredible tool - and others that were invaluable in my early days of experimenting with 3DS homebrew (CtrXplorer especially).

Honestly, not enough praise and appreciation is due. I mean, this past weekend - thanks to GM9 - I managed to fix a friend's N3DS that had all kinds of weird stuff wrong with it. I finished off off putting (hiding) a fixed, compressed NAND backup into his special secret bonus drive for additional safe keeping. Let me just repeat that again: GM9 let me store a 550MB NAND backup deep inside part of the machine that ordinarily wouldn't have been visible - let alone accessible. At some point this tool became something else, something much bigger than merely an 'advanced hacking tool / file manager'.

Thank you so much.

pcs3rd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
@d0k3 .lnk (Microsoft app links) tend to cause a lot of trouble. it forces me to have to remount the SD card a few times before I stop getting (invalid directory object). but it will actually enter the directory containing the links and go up a dir successfully. other times, it complains about invalid directory object when trying to go up. not that much of a problem for me, but whatever.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it takes a few tries.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Wolfvak: I noticed the commit. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work. Thanks for trying though. At least the larger RAM drive will be useful. MicroSD Management won't put me over on space now.

@d0k3: I've been playing with GM9 as a firm (I'm including the ability to pick a firm when installing Sighax in my AIO's next update). The bootloader is very nice, though it's a bit slower than B9S. Any chance you could disable the feature that pauses the splash screen when buttons are held down when it is being used as a firm? Or at least make it a compile option? As it is, if you hit the hotkey too early, it delays the boot process. I get that the idea is to replace the need for a payload-based chainloader, but I still like my BootCTR9.

How do I set up the 8: Drive?

The "8: drive" specifically isn't something you setup. It is used as needed. If you mount a NAND image, it will be used to show the TWLN partition. Now, you can setup a bonus drive from the home menu (hit the "home" button to access it) using your NAND's extra space (if it has any -- Toshiba O3DS and Samsung N3DS owners probably will not have this option, though I wouldn't know, because I don't own either combination). If you do, that will use drive 8. Though it won't get you much extra storage unless you have an N3DS with a Toshiba NAND. Even then, storage is all it is. You can't run games or apps from it, play music from it, etc.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "8: drive" specifically isn't something you setup. It is used as needed. If you mount a NAND image, it will be used to show the TWLN partition. Now, you can setup a bonus drive from the home menu (hit the "home" button to access it) using your NAND's extra space (if it has any -- Toshiba O3DS and Samsung N3DS owners probably will not have this option, though I wouldn't know, because I don't own either combination). If you do, that will use drive 8. Though it won't get you much extra storage unless you have an N3DS with a Toshiba NAND. Even then, storage is all it is. You can't run games or apps from it, play music from it, etc.
Ahh, I see. And also, there is an SD Format Menu for EmuNand. Does this set up an EmuNand, or only prepare your SD for an EmuNand? Also, what's the difference between EmuNand and RedNand? I know that they have subtle differences, but what exactly are these differences?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, I see. And also, there is an SD Format Menu for EmuNand. Does this set up an EmuNand, or only prepare your SD for an EmuNand? Also, what's the difference between EmuNand and RedNand? I know that they have subtle differences, but what exactly are these differences?

I believe it does create one from SysNAND. I've never seen any EmuNAND format tool not do so. The difference between the EmuNAND and RedNAND layouts is that the EmuNAND layout places the first sector containing the "NCSD" string at the end, so that the header doesn't displace the other sectors. Aside from reads/writes to the first sector, addresses do not need to be modified. This is the only format that will work with Gateway. RedNAND simply adds the header and pushes all addresses 512 bytes forward. Most CFWs support either. However, size can cause incompatibilities. Cakes and ReiNAND won't recognize an EmuNAND that's minimum size. They apparently can't find the "NCSD" string at that location.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it does create one from SysNAND. I've never seen any EmuNAND format tool not do so. The difference between the EmuNAND and RedNAND layouts is that the EmuNAND layout places the first sector containing the "NCSD" string at the end, so that the header doesn't displace the other sectors. Aside from reads/writes to the first sector, addresses do not need to be modified. This is the only format that will work with Gateway. RedNAND simply adds the header and pushes all addresses 512 bytes forward. Most CFWs support either. However, size can cause incompatibilities. Cakes and ReiNAND won't recognize an EmuNAND that's minimum size. They apparently can't find the "NCSD" string at that location.
(Reposting to get your attention.)
I see. Can I create a 9.2 EmuNand/RedNand if my SysNand is on 11.6?
SORRY FOR REPOSTING! I just feel like if I don't quote you you will never hear me.

Last edited by SirNapkin1334,

windows_server_2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It crashes when fast scroll (R + Down) in textviewer with the file ("godmode.txt"). Yes, the file is the old godmode's source code. It happens even on newest (commit: 753) test build. I tried changing the file name, but it wasn't resolved. I tried with another file which has the bigger size than "godmode.txt", but it doesn't crashes.
"godmode9.txt" and exception dump file is in the zip file.
old 2ds , running from b9s v1.2

Attachments

• temp.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 204

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Reposting to get your attention.)
I see. Can I create a 9.2 EmuNand/RedNand if my SysNand is on 11.6?
SORRY FOR REPOSTING! I just feel like if I don't quote you you will never hear me.

I'm in several places, but, I do check this thread regularly. Yes. You will need the 9.2 update CIAs. I'm not sure if 3DNUS can grab 9.2 like it can 11.2 though. I know Nintendo has removed some older versions but I forget how far back. A certain iso site should have them, though. You just copy the CIAs to a folder on the card named "updates" and run SysUpdater while booted into the EmuNAND. Then hit the "downgrade" option.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in several places, but, I do check this thread regularly. Yes. You will need the 9.2 update CIAs. I'm not sure if 3DNUS can grab 9.2 like it can 11.2 though. I know Nintendo has removed some older versions but I forget how far back. A certain iso site should have them, though. You just copy the CIAs to a folder on the card named "updates" and run SysUpdater while booted into the EmuNAND. Then hit the "downgrade" option.
So, you're sure that downgrading from 11.6 is possible? And I can make an EmuNand if my SysNand is on 11.6? Because a lot of people say both of theses things are not possible on 11.6. Also, if I were to attempt a downgrade, would it do anything to my Boot9Strap Installation? Maybe let's get into a private conversation so I don't have to pelt you with questions here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: You are already bred! +1