[release]game hacking for Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by enler, Aug 14, 2017.

1. enler
    OP

enler Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2014
    China
    Hello, everyone I make a game-hacking for Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure
    This hacking includes AP patch, Save fix, Wi-Fi keyboard, take screenshot of top screen
    save fix:
    You can save or load the game progress on flashcarts and simulation (work well for no$gba and desmume)
    important: you must create a save file with all zero-filled before you start the game!
    or you can download 'initial.sav' from the release page, then rename it.

Wi-Fi keyboard:

You can play this game with your computer keyboard via Wi-Fi connection

Take screenshots:
    You can take screenshots of top screen by using prtscr key if you connect to the game.
    Taking screenshots will take several seconds, the screenshots will be saved to the PC.

You can see this video for more informations

source code:
    https://github.com/enler/PokemonTypingDSHacking

3ps files (you can use 3ps files and 3dstool to patch your rom):
    https://github.com/enler/PokemonTypingDSHacking/tree/master/Release

client (only for windows, requires python 2.7, pyHook and pyPng):
    https://github.com/enler/PokemonTypingDSHacking/tree/master/WirelessKeyboard/client

Stephen Stair (developer of dswifi library)
    retrogamefan (for AP patch, see here https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/)

If you have any questions or want to report a bug, you can send a post in this thread.
    Enjoy, have fun!

Last edited by enler, Aug 14, 2017
    Coto, maodatou, Februarysn0w and 9 others like this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    A pokemon themed typing trainer is not my first choice of game but it looks like some cool hacking work happened to make this. I will see about getting this on the portal before too long.

" important: you must create a save file with all zero-filled before you start the game!"
    You might want to do that and add it to the download. You or I might find it trivial but at various points in the past certain flash carts and emulators wanted that and tried to get people to make their own... it was hard going those days and it is not like windows includes a hex editor or easy command line operation to do it for you.

migles and pandavova like this.
  3. LITTOMA

LITTOMA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    You are pretty good! You just make my dream come to live!

4. maodatou

maodatou Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2012
    Switzerland
    Hope to light the icon of keyboard~(°∀°)ノ

5. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    Wow, this looks really cool! I'm interested I that screenshot function.... Would it be possible to implement this in other ds games?

6. Coto

Coto -

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    the Datagram format to send commands in UDP packets looks familiar with how nesDS connects each other through netplay... hehe.

https://github.com/cotodevel/NesDS/blob/experimental-udp-netplay/arm9/source/multi.c#L311

Great work!

The DS has a screen capture hardware, separate from PPU engines, because the DS renders a whole picture in layers (including 3D). As long as there is code exec both homebrew and games can use it

7. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Could you do the opposite? Make the Bluetooth dongle connect to other devices?

8. cualquiercosa327

cualquiercosa327 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2009
    Great work!

9. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    wow, wifi input is great. Any chance we can use our gamepads connected to PC for button inputs? something like inputredirection on 3DS? That would be great even if per game patching is required.

to be more clear: This patch makes pc keyboard button presses sent over wifi to be converted to ds bluetooth keyboard inputs, i want pc keyboard button (or controller button, since lots of programs can convert both) presses sent over wifi to be converted to ds button inputs.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Not terribly easily or all that reliably.

As this game has bluetooth it likely already has handling for dropped frames (or whatever bluetooth uses). To redirect that to read off wifi is not a major annoyance compared to most games which read more internal things. I am sure you could have a wifi packet read and stuck wherever the game normally debounces the internal switches to, however I would expect some fallout as you pretty much always get that when you bring networking into the mix. Way back when there were some hacks to use the taito arkanoid controller (a small rotary controller that went in the GBA slot) on some other games than what it was designed for, obviously we have the various touchscreen-> dpad hacks (the zeldas and starfox being the big three) and possibly a remap hack or two somewhere.

I would sooner grab a sacrificial DS, fly out wires from the test points (see also all the automated controller and rapid fire mods as you are doing the same thing) and stick it into a teensy++, arduino or something on the end to act as a middleman. Alternatively this sort of mod is popular for various disabled peeps so they can play, I don't tend to go looking to see what they are doing but they might have something, certainly I have had discussions about doing such things.

11. pasc

pasc GBATemps GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Germany
    Germany
    And here I hoped that someone finally figured out a way to use this badboy with more programs/games whatever.
    Sure... not super useful, but for the browser...

12. noctis90210

noctis90210 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2013
    @enler can I play the game using the onscreen keyboard and not the PC keyboard? Thanks...

13. noctis90210

noctis90210 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by noctis90210, Dec 14, 2018