ROM Hack [release]game hacking for Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure

enler

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello, everyone I make a game-hacking for Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure
This hacking includes AP patch, Save fix, Wi-Fi keyboard, take screenshot of top screen
save fix:
You can save or load the game progress on flashcarts and simulation (work well for no$gba and desmume)
important: you must create a save file with all zero-filled before you start the game!
or you can download 'initial.sav' from the release page, then rename it.

Wi-Fi keyboard:

You can play this game with your computer keyboard via Wi-Fi connection

Take screenshots:
You can take screenshots of top screen by using prtscr key if you connect to the game.
Taking screenshots will take several seconds, the screenshots will be saved to the PC.

You can see this video for more informations

source code:
https://github.com/enler/PokemonTypingDSHacking

3ps files (you can use 3ps files and 3dstool to patch your rom):
https://github.com/enler/PokemonTypingDSHacking/tree/master/Release

client (only for windows, requires python 2.7, pyHook and pyPng):
https://github.com/enler/PokemonTypingDSHacking/tree/master/WirelessKeyboard/client

Stephen Stair (developer of dswifi library)
retrogamefan (for AP patch, see here https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/)

If you have any questions or want to report a bug, you can send a post in this thread.
Enjoy, have fun!

Last edited by enler,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A pokemon themed typing trainer is not my first choice of game but it looks like some cool hacking work happened to make this. I will see about getting this on the portal before too long.

" important: you must create a save file with all zero-filled before you start the game!"
You might want to do that and add it to the download. You or I might find it trivial but at various points in the past certain flash carts and emulators wanted that and tried to get people to make their own... it was hard going those days and it is not like windows includes a hex editor or easy command line operation to do it for you.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
the Datagram format to send commands in UDP packets looks familiar with how nesDS connects each other through netplay... hehe.

https://github.com/cotodevel/NesDS/blob/experimental-udp-netplay/arm9/source/multi.c#L311

Great work!

Wow, this looks really cool! I'm interested I that screenshot function.... Would it be possible to implement this in other ds games?

The DS has a screen capture hardware, separate from PPU engines, because the DS renders a whole picture in layers (including 3D). As long as there is code exec both homebrew and games can use it

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
wow, wifi input is great. Any chance we can use our gamepads connected to PC for button inputs? something like inputredirection on 3DS? That would be great even if per game patching is required.

to be more clear: This patch makes pc keyboard button presses sent over wifi to be converted to ds bluetooth keyboard inputs, i want pc keyboard button (or controller button, since lots of programs can convert both) presses sent over wifi to be converted to ds button inputs.

Reactions: Tarmfot

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not terribly easily or all that reliably.

As this game has bluetooth it likely already has handling for dropped frames (or whatever bluetooth uses). To redirect that to read off wifi is not a major annoyance compared to most games which read more internal things. I am sure you could have a wifi packet read and stuck wherever the game normally debounces the internal switches to, however I would expect some fallout as you pretty much always get that when you bring networking into the mix. Way back when there were some hacks to use the taito arkanoid controller (a small rotary controller that went in the GBA slot) on some other games than what it was designed for, obviously we have the various touchscreen-> dpad hacks (the zeldas and starfox being the big three) and possibly a remap hack or two somewhere.

I would sooner grab a sacrificial DS, fly out wires from the test points (see also all the automated controller and rapid fire mods as you are doing the same thing) and stick it into a teensy++, arduino or something on the end to act as a middleman. Alternatively this sort of mod is popular for various disabled peeps so they can play, I don't tend to go looking to see what they are doing but they might have something, certainly I have had discussions about doing such things.

P

pasc

And here I hoped that someone finally figured out a way to use this badboy with more programs/games whatever.
Sure... not super useful, but for the browser...

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
Could you do the opposite? Make the Bluetooth dongle connect to other devices?

I bought this game because of bluetooth keyboard but I agree. Bluetooth for ds!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@enler can I play the game using the onscreen keyboard and not the PC keyboard? Thanks...

Too late but you can play using onscreen keyboard's game.

Last edited by Tarmfot,
Reactions: noctis90210

Dahlia098

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've patched my rom, but I only get white screen when starting it.
I'm trying to play this with TwilightMenu++ on a DSi.

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hi is there someone that has a prepatched rom because im a total noob when it comes to this
also if it's not too much to ask possible to have it in the french version if not. if someone just could send me a tutorial because i didnt found any documentation for how to patch (on windows) and also on how to use dswifi library on desume

thanks in advance !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: