Homebrew [Release] freeShop - open source eShop alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This never happens to me. I'm using a CHMM installed theme. Are you guys using installed .cia ones?

You compile all the themes you want into a .cia file, including legit themes and custom themes and then install them all through a .cia installer. I then use the theme shuffler to utilize my current 10 favorite themes at that time, given that that fluctuates, my .cia file is about 70 themes or so right now, which makes for a .cia file that isn't huge, but still becomes something of a small inconvenience to have to reinstall if you ever enter and then leave the eshop. It's the only application that cause the themes to disappear in that way, so really not a big deal, ESPECIALLY if you never even have to enter the eshop again.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You compile all the themes you want into a .cia file, including legit themes and custom themes and then install them all through a .cia installer. I then use the theme shuffler to utilize my current 10 favorite themes at that time, given that that fluctuates, my .cia file is about 70 themes or so right now, which makes for a .cia file that isn't huge, but still becomes something of a small inconvenience to have to reinstall if you ever enter and then leave the eshop. It's the only application that cause the themes to disappear in that way, so really not a big deal, ESPECIALLY if you never even have to enter the eshop again.

Why not just throw your 70 themes inside your SD card and choose which one you want with CHMM? I don't get it. It's the same result.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I see, I read the phrase of "I'm just installing tickets with CIAngel (takes seconds) and downloading straight from the eShop" to mean that he first installs the tickets with CIAngel (an application I've admittedly not touched) and then goes to the eShop to download those tickets, I didn't realize that CIAngel itself is downloading straight from the eshop. If that's the case, then yeah, just do that I guess. I'm not sure what the interface for CIAngel is like nor if you can download the tickets directly through the program or if you still have to put those on your sd card and then install them through the program, but if it can all be handled in the program and its got a nice interface, then yeah, by all means I'd agree, just use that, no need (for those that are) to whine about the wait.
CIAngel has 3 functions, Install Mode (Directly download/install from Nintendo's CDN, no eShop usage at all), Download Mode (Directly download and create a CIA file from Nintendo's CDN, no eShop usage at all), and Install Ticket Mode (Just create/install a ticket, for later use in downloading stuff using the eShop app). As for the UI, it's console/menu based, nothing fancy, my time mostly goes into features/bug fixes, not prettying it up.

This never happens to me. I'm just pulling everything from the eShop and my theme's always fine. I don't like installing FROM CIAngel because it doesn't let me pause/resume. I'm using a CHMM installed theme. Are you guys using installed .cia ones?
I use CHHM2, but lots of people have issues with CIA installed themes and certain DLC when accessing the eShop.

So that solves it then. Just install your theme using CHMM guys, and use the eShop. It's great. It'll even let you resume huge downloads after turning off your 3DS.
Eh, I'm not a fan of the "use ticket + eShop" method, as it's currently unknown what information Nintendo sends back to themselves when installing games through the eShop.

Reactions: Xenosaiga

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
-snip-
Why is it inferior when the result is the same...? You just want to apply a theme. It doesn't matter what you use. Also make your text green if you wanna use meme arrows.

it's currently unknown what information Nintendo sends back to themselves when installing games through the eShop.
They send nothing. Stop being paranoid.

The only useful thing the eshop does that cannot currently be duplicated is downloading while sleeping. Once that's known, there will be little reason to use it beyond purchasing games.
Yeah. Can you also make it so freeShop resumes downloads even after turning off your console? That'd completely replace it.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just throw your 70 themes inside your SD card and choose which one you want with CHMM? I don't get it. It's the same result.

Can CHMM use legit themes as well as custom themes? My understanding was that it only allowed for custom themes and none of the legit ones, but by all means, let me know if I'm wrong.

Having said that, even if CHMM can handle legit themes as well; at this point, I kind of have to wonder, why bother; the only application that gives me issues with themes is the eshop and thats something I hardly even use anyway, and when this is released within the next day or whatever, I'll never have a need to use the eshop again anyway. It really wouldn't even make sense at this point to go through the effort of finding the files for all those themes again.

Last edited by duffmmann,

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can CHMM use legit themes as well as custom themes? My understanding was that it only allowed for custom themes and none of the legit ones, but by all means, let me know if I'm wrong.
Yeah, I don't use custom themes. I use official themes. They can be decrypted to use with CHMM. I downloaded a huge pack of official Nintendo themes on "that ISO site" and threw them on my SD card.

Great!

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't use custom themes. I use official themes. They can be decrypted to use with CHMM. I downloaded a huge pack of official Nintendo themes.

Well that's cool. If this wasn't so close to being released, I'd consider using CHMM, but as I said, at this point, its just not even worth the effort and hassle to find all the theme files I like again (both legit and custom).

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So that solves it then. Just install your theme using CHMM guys, and use the eShop. It's great. It'll even let you resume huge downloads after turning off your 3DS.
It's risky. That way, they could ban you if they wan't, but not this way. Also, the more options the better. Just say "use this" don't solve anything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Current alternatives will probably be better than the first few versions of freeShop (in terms of stability). But as it continues to improve it will become the very best, like no one ever was.

I'm going to go ahead and add an auto-updater to the first release. Then people won't have to worry about updating multiple times over the next week as I inevitably fix/add things. Of course, unless there's a bug in the auto-updater I code, then you will lol.
Oh and also this would be the best. I'll really like it.

alex61194

Trophies
XP
Country
Por favor, habla en inglés. Aunque veas que yo soy castellano, la comunidad no lo es. La gente debe poder leerte.
Please, speak in eanglish. Besides I'm spanish, the community is not. The people should can read you the same way I do.
gotcha maybe hiro is here too?

Rioluwott

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Looking forward this
i hope it has a nice presentation like PHbank that looks better than the original
nice work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes Jeff Butts a reporter you can trust