Homebrew Emulator [Release]fMSX3DS(MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ emulator with new feature for 3DS)

Tomioka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
fMSX is the MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ emulator by Marat Fayzullin.
It runs MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ software with very fast on many different platforms including Windows, MacOS, Unix,
MSDOS, AmigaOS, etc.

fMSX3DS is the port of fMSX for Nintendo3DS(New 3DS/New 2DS/Old 3DS/Old 2DS).
In additional, it add audio emulation by Mitsutaka Okazaki(emu2413.c etc.) with latest version.
It's not the legacy version of over 20 year ago that many emulator uses, but latest(2022) one.
In additional, it add MSXTurobR and MSX0 emulation.
Also, it add various improvements based on recently analize of MSX hardware
include analize in Japan that is unknown in world wide.
Read "What's new.txt" to see more detail.

fMSX3DS001.png
fMSx3DS002.png

Post automatically merged:

v1.00(First Release)
-Add support for +PCM (ADPCM Voice Sampling hardware).fMSX3DS is the first emulator to support this.
No commercial game support this hardware. but, some japanese homebrew/doujin game support this.
Especially noteworthy, Pleasure Hearts (the legendary homebrew made by author of Judgement Silversword, ESCHATOS)
support this!
To use this, Choose "[Option]" item in the fMSX3DS system menu,
and change option item "<Input/Output Hardware Option>/Printer Port" to "PCM+".

-Add support for the Voice Box (PCM Voice Sampling hardware).fMSX3DS is the first emulator to support this.
As to commercial games, Only one game (Isseki ni kakeru Seishun by LOG) support this hardware.
and change option item "<Input/Output Hardware Option>/Printer Port" to "Voice Box".

-Add support for Nintendo3DS's 800px wide mode. In Addition, add suport for interlace mode.
So, fMSX3DS can emulate games pixel perfect that use 512x424 resolution mode.

-Implement audio emulation by Mitsutaka Okazaki(emu2413.c etc.) with latest version.
It's not the legacy version of over 20 year ago that many emulator uses, but latest(2022) one.
In Addition, import some features from LibKSS such as Audio filtering, Konami SCC detect.

-Added horizontal hardware scroll emulation for MSX2+

-Improve YJK 19268 color mode for MSX2+.

-Add ability to show MSX2+ boot screen.(Need Kanji Basic ROM(MSXKANJI.rom or KNJDRV.ROM or A1WXKDR.ROM).)

-Add support for VDP command ops in Screen 0-4 for MSX2+.

-Improve Konami SCC and SCC-I detection and add ability to load virtual SCC-I ROM cartridge.
Support SD Snatcher, Snatcher, Konami Game Collection, many kids of SCC hacked ROMs etc.
Also support SCC and SCC-I for many kinds of music driver used for many Disk magazine
or Music Disks(NV magazine, Disk Mail Magazine, etc.).

-Improve Disk Read.This brings many disks to work.
(Ys 1: Ancient Ys Vanished, Konami Game Collection Disk Station's Art Gallary,
Many shumps made by Yoshida Kensetsu(Twinkle Star, Sea Sardine etc.) Anma's Relax, etc.)

-Improve VDP timing, This fixes many graphic glitch and adjast speed for many games.
AshGuine2, Undeadline, The Fantasm Soldier Valis II(Intro timming), MegaDoom, etc.
And this brings many games to wrork(Rune Master II etc.).

-Add support for voice sampling in many games such as Madou Monogatari 1-2-3, Aleste2, Princess maker,
Laydock, Super Laydock, Laydock 2, Ninja Kage, Bosconian etc.

-Improve Save State.
(Now you can State save in Space Manbow intro, YS II intro etc.)

-Improve Sprite collision(Manbow2, 10lines hero, Pooyan New、Litter Box(MSXdev'20), URDIUM(MSXdev2014),
Waves demo (by Dvik & Joyrex) and many kinds of games especially made by BASIC works correctly now).

-Improve cycles of z80 CPU instructions(Seleniak(MSXdev'04), Retaliot(MSXdev'09) become working.
The title screen of Bosconian shows correct image).

-Improve Z80 CPU emulation.(Sweet Acorn, MSX-FAN Appendix Disk etc.)
(taken from FreeMSX/FreeM)
Now ZEXALL test all OK.

-Improve transparent color of sprites(Shin Maou Golvellius(Golvellius 2) etc).

-Improve VDP emulation with 128KB VRAM to manage as 2 x 64KB not one block of 128KB.
This fixes graphic glitches of many games.(F-1 Spirits 3D Special, Laydock2(intro), Breakers,
Feedback(intro) etc.)

-Improve Screen 8 sprite coolors(Ikari Warrior, Rick & Mick's Adventure etc)

-Support many MegaROM Mapper such as R-Type, many kinds of KOEI games
(Sangokushi(Romance of the Three Kingdoms) series, Nobunaga no yabou(Nobunaga's Ambition) series,
Genghis Khan series etc), Wizardry, Manbow2, Super Lode Runner, Wing Warriors(2021 version) etc.

-Improve MegaROM Mapper such as Hole In One Special(ASCII16) etc.

-Improve MegaROM detection and add ability to load ROM database "CARTS32.CSV" of msxDS.

-Improve Japanese keyboard input. fMSX3DS supports every Keys of Japanese keyboard.

-Add supprt for 2nd level kanji in Kanji ROM.

-Support zip compressed files with multiple disk/ROM in the one zip file. and support 2byte charactor
filename like Japanese.

-Support mouse emulaton and Arkanoid Paddle/ Paddle device emulation with touch screen for 3DS.

-Added the Software Keyboard with the touch screen for 3DS.

-Show graph characters in the Software Keyboard when you press graph key.

-Add ability to show the reference image in the bottom screen of 3DS.

-Support homebrew ROM cartridges that has too small or uncommon ROM size.

-Add ability to insert FM-PAC ROM cartridge in SLOT-2 automatelly when you play R-Type.

-Add ability to change memory Slot automatelly when you play YAKSA to get rid of bugs.

Attachments

• fMSX3DS-1.31.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • fMSX3DS-1.31Source.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited by Tomioka,

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Glad to see a new homebrew on the 3ds scene.
I've tested it for a few hours. So far, no big issues.
If anything, the menu is a bit too sensitive to dpad. Many times, it reads two presses instead of one.
An option to remember the last used directory would be handy, too. There is the a recently opened rom list, but it's not the same. Alternatively, a way to set the default directory, instead of sd root, would be fine.
The wide 800px option is a bit weird in 2ds systems. If you mess with it, you'll get a wiiiiide display wich doesn't fit. Yeah it's not mean for 2ds.
Sometimes, when opening a zip file, it asks for which file inside to load. If you cancel, the console crashes. Not always reproducible.

Last edited by ber71,
Reactions: anotherthing

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im so happy to finally get an easy way to play most msx games on old 3ds. Im curious, are you planning on adding turbo r ?

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is so exciting! I really wanted to play the original Metal Gear games, and any further emulators on the 3DS is always welcome. We should be able to make VCI's with this correct?

Tomioka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
fMSX3DS1.1-02.png
fMSX3DS1.1-01.png

Update to v1.1
v1.1
-Add support for stereoscopic 3D.Some MSX games and test programs use stereoscopic 3D.
For example, Dim X(Kai Magazine) support this.
fMSX3DS emulate this with Nintendo3DS's stereoscopic 3D.
To use this, First, Move 3D depth slider up to enable Nintendo 3DS's stereoscopic 3D,
then, choose "[Option]" item in the fMSX3DS system menu,
and change option item "<Graphic Setting/Use 3D Stereoscopic> to select stereoscopic 3D mode.
Currently,you can select only anaglyph 3D and anaglyph 3D(Color) for now.

-Add support for ESE-SCC.ESE-SCC is the special cartridge by ESE-Artists' Factory
That has 512kB S-RAM and SCC sound chip.
Especially noteworthy, Dragon Quest 3 Simulator use this!
To play Dragon Quest 3 Simulator,download "msxdq3plus.zip" and extract "MSXDQ3.exe" file.
and rename Dragon Quest 3 NES ROM to "DQ3.nes" and drag and drop that files to "MSXDQ3.exe".
Then you can find "esescc512A.sram" file. place this to "/FMSX3DS/SRAM" folder of SD card.
Then you can play Dragon Quest 3 Simulator with selecting menu item "[Load Ese SCC 512k ROM]" in the fMSX3DS's system menu.

-Add SIMPL/Covox hardware.
That is voice sampling hardware that use printer port.
and change option item "<Input/Output Hardware Option>/Printer Port" to "COVOX".

-Add support for Konami's Synthesizer.

-Improve voice sampling emulation of Hai no Majutsushi.

-Add new option item "Menu select speed".If you feel menu is sesitive to D-Pad, you can adjast that with this.

-Add new menu item "[frequetly used folder]".It remember recently used directory, and you can quickly access that.

-Improve menu GUI of change option to move cursor to currently selected setting automatelly.

just wish games with fm didnt slow down on o3ds
I think it outperforming Old 3DS.
Anyway i'll try.

Attachments

• fMSX3DS-1.1.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
  • fMSX3DS-1.1Source.zip
    920.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by Tomioka,

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 388792View attachment 388793
Update to v1.1
v1.1
-Add support for stereoscopic 3D.Some MSX games and test programs use stereoscopic 3D.
For example, Dim X(Kai Magazine) support this.
fMSX3DS emulate this with Nintendo3DS's stereoscopic 3D.
To use this, First, Move 3D depth slider up to enable Nintendo 3DS's stereoscopic 3D,
then, choose "[Option]" item in the fMSX3DS system menu,
and change option item "<Graphic Setting/Use 3D Stereoscopic> to select stereoscopic 3D mode.
Currently,you can select only anaglyph 3D and anaglyph 3D(Color) for now.

-Add support for ESE-SCC.ESE-SCC is the special cartridge by ESE-Artists' Factory
That has 512kB S-RAM and SCC sound chip.
Especially noteworthy, Dragon Quest 3 Simulator use this!
To play Dragon Quest 3 Simulator,download "msxdq3plus.zip" and extract "MSXDQ3.exe" file.
and rename Dragon Quest 3 NES ROM to "DQ3.nes" and drag and drop that files to "MSXDQ3.exe".
Then you can find "esescc512A.sram" file. place this to "/FMSX3DS/SRAM" folder of SD card.
Then you can play Dragon Quest 3 Simulator with selecting menu item "[Load Ese SCC 512k ROM]" in the fMSX3DS's system menu.

-Add SIMPL/Covox hardware.
That is voice sampling hardware that use printer port.
and change option item "<Input/Output Hardware Option>/Printer Port" to "COVOX".

-Add support for Konami's Synthesizer.

-Improve voice sampling emulation of Hai no Majutsushi.

-Add new option item "Menu select speed".If you feel menu is sesitive to D-Pad, you can adjast that with this.

-Add new menu item "[frequetly used folder]".It remember recently used directory, and you can quickly access that.

-Improve menu GUI of change option to move cursor to currently selected setting automatelly.

I think it outperforming Old 3DS.
Anyway i'll try.
thanks man, your work is great. Keep it up

solidgui3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry If This is a dumb question but ..how to I boot snatcher?
Ive tried inserting all 4 files and none boot,they just give me the blue screen

Datbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fan Translation one,and the emulator is in the 1.1
while I have yet to test out snatcher on 1.1, I read in the readme that you need to select below load a cart, in the option menu, Load konami Scc+ Rom. Im not sure if their an order to it or you can load it at any time. I was able to boot snatcher on 1.0 I think withot doing this but idk. I think I used file open instead of open disk or cart.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The wide 800px option is a bit weird in 2ds systems. If you mess with it, you'll get a wiiiiide display wich doesn't fit. Yeah it's not mean for 2ds.
The O2DS isn't compatible with HoriHD. Oddly enough, the N2DS is, despite it being an abuse of the 3D capabiliies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0