• Likes 87

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is EmuNAND9 compatible with emuNANDtool (PC app) dumps?
I put an emuNAND.bin backup I extracted from an old 8gb card with emuNANDtool onto a new 32gb SD card but application says unable to open emunand.bin? Also I formatted the SD card and created the emuNAND partition with EmuNAND9 with no problems.
Would it be possible? Thanks, SM
Where did you put your emuNAND.bin? It has to go into the work folder (/EmuNAND9, also contains starter.bin by default).

Could someone, in short, please list the steps necessary to format Emunand? I would really like to implement that in my tutorial, replacing Cubic Ninja and Gateway, but as I don't want to set up my device again I can't just do it myself. I would need the names of the options and what to choose to set up Emunand. Thanks!
I already listed the steps here, but I'm sure that can be done better. Do you have an unused Micro SD card laying around? The one that came with your 3DS maybe? You could just try setting up an EmuNAND with that, that's how I did it. This will also have no effect on your current setup of course, because all changes are on the SD card only.

Reactions: SMVB64

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I already tried the app. If you have time, you could throw a look at my tutorial under Step 2 and check if I described it correctly? That would be nice.

Basically I don't use the starter pack because I advise to use Smea's starter pack, and just ignore the warning in emunand9 that it's missing. Afterwards the Emunand Format should start, right? Is there anything else to set up, confirm or something like that or will it just format and be done?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks, I already tried the app. If you have time, you could throw a look at my tutorial under Step 2 and check if I described it correctly? That would be nice.

Basically I don't use the starter pack because I advise to use Smea's starter pack, and just ignore the warning in emunand9 that it's missing. Afterwards the Emunand Format should start, right? Is there anything else to set up, confirm or something like that or will it just format and be done?
I took a look, and I'd propose two (and a half) changes:
  • Why not set the EmuNAND up before doing anything else? Setting it up will not put your SysNAND at risk (you can do that backup later), and doing that as the first step will reduce the size of the stuff your users have to copy around.
  • Also, you could make things a lot easier for your users by providing your own starter pack and letting EmuNAND9 set that up. There's a batch script included for creating it from any ZIP file. Also note that my extended starter pack already contains everything from Smeas starter pack plus Pasta CFW plus FBI.
  • That's a little much text. You could use EmuNAND9's hidden screenshot feature (X) to make screenshots.
As for the first bullet point: EmuNAND9 does not have SysNAND writing capabilities. It simply is not possible to mess the SysNAND up with it.

Edit: you can also add anything you want to your personal starter pack. CIAs for example.

Last edited by d0k3,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought about using the starter pack, but, what I don't see at the moment is, how will you even run emunand9 without smea's Homebrew Launcher 3dsx? That Homebrew Launcher needs to be on microsd already, needn't it? While at that one can also just copy the starter pack over already at that step, doesn't make that much of a difference.

But yes, I see your point. Only copy homebrewlauncher boot.3dsx to root have emuNAND9 setup the starter pack. But that would mean not having FBI.cia on the device already and it needs to be there before formatting emuNAND or it won't be copied over, meaning injecting into H&S would be needed again. That's jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, basically.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I thought about using the starter pack, but, what I don't see at the moment is, how will you even run emunand9 without smea's Homebrew Launcher 3dsx? That Homebrew Launcher needs to be on microsd already, needn't it? While at that one can also just copy the starter pack over already at that step, doesn't make that much of a difference.

But yes, I see your point. I could change the tutorial so that only the boot.3dsx gets on root and have emuNAND9 setup the starter pack. Then install FBI and unlink, done. Saves maybe five minutes.
The homebrew launcher is not the only way of starting EmuNAND9, but, yup, that's correct. Somewhat of a chicken egg problem. The main upside with providing your own starter pack would be that you could make sure that the users have the exact right files, in the exact right structure, on their SD cards after running Ninjhax. Slightly unrelated, but also note that you are not forced to run EmuNAND9 from the same SD card that will be set up for EmuNAND.

You also asked if EmuNAND9 asks for more confirmations... I'd advice you to try yourself, but, yes. If the starter.bin is missing, you will be asked if you want to continue. Then you will be asked to confirm that the SD card should be formatted (you can also switch SD cards in that step), this step requires inputting a button sequence (safety first). Then you will be given a summary of the inserted SD card, which you already have to confirm. Afterwards it sets everything up.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One big upside of linking to the tools individually is that users following my guide will always use the most current version. If I provide my own starter pack, I would either be required to constantly update it with new program versions or just let it be and have users use outdated tools.

Well and to my tutorial being very text-heavy, I know it is. But I also know how shitty it is to just have short bulletpoints without any explanation, as this will inevitably lead to people asking questions. My tutorial just needs to be followed sentence by sentence, and stuff will work. :D

SMVB64

Now your playing with power! Super power!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where did you put your emuNAND.bin? It has to go into the work folder (/EmuNAND9, also contains starter.bin by default).
Ah, I put the emuNand.bin on to root of the SD card. It worked right after I put the file in the /EmuNAND9 folder. Thanks!

jonesbalada

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Man, congrats, I am glad to see you (and some others) exposing the code. I am particularly involved with open source software here in Brazil and when I join the 3ds scene, I missed the source code from some solutions.

I am programmer (mostly java) and have a o3ds with sysNAND 9.8.0-25u to make some test if you need.

Edit: acctualy my o3ds is more updated than I want.

Last edited by jonesbalada,
Reactions: d0k3

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So if I were to create a New3DS EmuNAND with EmuNAND9, can I use EmuNAND Tool to inject a backed up EmuNAND previously and will it work?
Yes, that will work. In that case use the SD Format options to only format it without setting up the EmuNAND. You can also use EmuNAND9 to inject the old EmuNAND backup, though.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm not entirely sure I've got that right... you don't get EmuNAND9Tool to run on one O3DS, so you now want to inject emuNAND.bin from another O3DS, correct? The problem here is, you also need a valid SysNAND dump from the non working O3DS, you can't just take one from the other one. So, you need to sort the problem with the access point out.
I meant, since I could not use EmuNAND9Tool on 4.5.0-10J because CakeHax & Spider didn't work, I could only:
(1) Create an emuNAND partition on a 9.2.0-20J O3DS by booting EmuNAND9Tool with MenuHax
(2) Inject the emuNAND image from 4.5.0-10J into the new created emuNAND.
But 9.2.0-20J's NAND size should match 4.5.0-10J's emuNAND size.

The NAND size difference isn't between system versions, there's two different NAND chips that they used in the 3ds, one has a constant 943 MB and the other has a constant 954 MB, regardless of system version
Yes I know one is Toshiba and the other is Samsung.
Just to say that, if using another 3DS to create an emuNAND partition and inject your emuNAND image inside it, both size should match.

BTW, if system-transfered 3DS-A to 3DS-B emuNAND, then 3DS-B emuNAND may have a different size from 3DS-B SysNAND.

Last edited by MelonGx,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant, since I could not use EmuNAND9Tool on 4.5.0-10J because CakeHax & Spider didn't work, I could only:
(1) Create an emuNAND on a 9.2.0-20J O3DS by booting EmuNAND9Tool with MenuHax
(2) Inject the emuNAND from 4.5.0-10J to the new created emuNAND.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just to say that, if you use another 3DS to create an emuNAND partition and inject your emuNAND image inside it, both size should match.
I see what you're saying now... Also welcome back, you missed all of the hype :P

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I see what you're saying now... Also welcome back, you missed all of the hype :P
OK.....I travelled Tokyo more than a week ago so I didn't know what happened recently.
But that's fine since "creating partition on another 3DS -> inject image" worked.

EmuNAND9's best feature for myself is that it saves SD space, especially for 1.21GB N3DSes.
But this also makes the emuNAND unable to be exported by other tools.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK.....I travelled Tokyo more than a week ago so I didn't know what happened recently.
But that's fine since "creating partition on another 3DS -> inject image" worked.

EmuNAND9's best feature for myself is that it saves SD space, especially for 1.21GB N3DSes.
Those other tools just need to get with the times haha, D9 and this FTW!

Reactions: MelonGx

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, this will get long... :)

I am getting the error Could Not create NAND.bin!
What is that about?
I need more details. Is this on a very small SD card? Is the SD card properly formatted? You can check the SD card in the Windows command prompt via chkdsk.

add memchunkhax2 support?then we might be able to backup nand before we do 9.3+ downgrade
Well, once that is stable, once I know how it works, of course. In the meantime, helpful hints are appreciated.

(1) Create an emuNAND partition on a 9.2.0-20J O3DS by booting EmuNAND9Tool with MenuHax
(2) Inject the emuNAND image from 4.5.0-10J into the new created emuNAND.

Just to say that, if using another 3DS to create an emuNAND partition and inject your emuNAND image inside it, both size should match.

BTW, if system-transfered 3DS-A to 3DS-B emuNAND, then 3DS-B emuNAND may have a different size from 3DS-B SysNAND.
Alright, still not sure if I got that right :). You can only do a Nintendo (home menu) System Transfer once the NAND is already set up, but that is not what you mean, right? So, you transfered the backup from 3DS-A to 3DS-B? For all that I know right now, that should not work at all. The first barrier would be the different encryption (fixable), but that is not everything that stands in the way.

Well, the EmuNAND size is decided the same way everyone else does it now (CakesFW, rxTools, ... even GW). EmuNAND9 is different from GW in that GW just decides to use a big chunk of your SD card (big enough to handle any size), while EmuNAND9 chooses the size based on the actual flash memory size. The EmuNAND created by EmuNAND9 should still be exportable by any other tool. Could you specifiy or give an example?

By the way, while the flash memory sizes differ, the actual NAND size does not. EmuNAND / SysNAND backups can easily be fixed to work on any flash memory size by truncating / padding. I could even build this right into EmuNAND9 (and yes, we could even save more memory). I need more details, though.

Hi @d0k3, i do also wonder if arm11 exploit would be enough to backup nand ? (i don't think so but i didn't take a closer look)
No, for SysNAND you need direct and full access to the NAND for this to work. This (access to SysNAND) is actually the only reason why EmuNAND9 needs ARM9 access.

can i clone my emunand from my o3ds to work with my n3ds
No. You might be able to take over some stuff, tough, once you have set up your N3DS EmuNAND. I suggest you do a new thread for this.

Reactions: Syphurith

cpasjuste

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, this will get long... :)

I need more details. Is this on a very small SD card? Is the SD card properly formatted? You can check the SD card in the Windows command prompt via chkdsk.

Well, once that is stable, once I know how it works, of course. In the meantime, helpful hints are appreciated.

Alright, still not sure if I got that right :). You can only do a Nintendo (home menu) System Transfer once the NAND is already set up, but that is not what you mean, right? So, you transfered the backup from 3DS-A to 3DS-B? For all that I know right now, that should not work at all. The first barrier would be the different encryption (fixable), but that is not everything that stands in the way.

Well, the EmuNAND size is decided the same way everyone else does it now (CakesFW, rxTools, ... even GW). EmuNAND9 is different from GW in that GW just decides to use a big chunk of your SD card (big enough to handle any size), while EmuNAND9 chooses the size based on the actual flash memory size. The EmuNAND created by EmuNAND9 should still be exportable by any other tool. Could you specifiy or give an example?

By the way, while the flash memory sizes differ, the actual NAND size does not. EmuNAND / SysNAND backups can easily be fixed to work on any flash memory size by truncating / padding. I could even build this right into EmuNAND9 (and yes, we could even save more memory). I need more details, though.

No, for SysNAND you need direct and full access to the NAND for this to work. This (access to SysNAND) is actually the only reason why EmuNAND9 needs ARM9 access.

No. You might be able to take over some stuff, tough, once you have set up your N3DS EmuNAND. I suggest you do a new thread for this.

Thanks for the reply. This means memchunkhax2 wont be usefull here :x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte