• Likes 87

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recently got a N3DS with 8.1.0-0J, and before I try to get to 9.2 (either by update/downgrade or by using this guide and a private update server), I wanted to make a backup of my sysNAND. Since I don't have a browser, I don't have any entrypoints for homebrew. I do have a sky3DS with Cubic Ninja(J), though. Can I use your launcher.dat in place of the Gateway launcher.dat file and use Gateway's QR code to use this tool?
Doesn't Ninjhax 1.x work with 8.1J? If you don't have a browser, that might be your only option. If that does not work, just use the GW software to backup the SysNAND. I wouldn't normally recommend using GW software, but the SysNAND created by this will also work in EmuNAND9.

bro i created custom starter bin just like you said and i placed it in the emunand9 folder :) replaced the one that was currently in there !

my question is , is this how this sweet tool works >>> Run HB start emuNAND9 there and format emuNAND (Whilst formatting it copies the files from folder emunand9 folder that contains the starter.bin into the SD) Yes?!
Yes. You can choose "Complete EmuNAND Setup" to do everything (format, set up starter pack, set up EmuNAND) in one step.

Does the clone sysnand option to emunand allows you to pass the games and saves linked to nnid?
Yes and no. This option only clones your SysNAND (and everything within) to the EmuNAND. Saves and games are stored in the Nintendo 3DS folder on your SD card. Because your NANDs will be linked after a SysNAND clone, your EmuNAND will use the same folder (and same data) as SysNAND, meaning everything will be there. Just don't delete the Nintendo 3DS folder.

andrexd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes and no. This option only clones your SysNAND (and everything within) to the EmuNAND. Saves and games are stored in the Nintendo 3DS folder on your SD card. Because your NANDs will be linked after a SysNAND clone, your EmuNAND will use the same folder (and same data) as SysNAND, meaning everything will be there. Just don't delete the Nintendo 3DS folder.
So, i first create an emunand, then i format emunand and link my nnid, then i can clone my sysnand to emunand and unlink my sysnand right?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, i first create an emunand, then i format emunand and link my nnid, then i can clone my sysnand to emunand and unlink my sysnand right?
Unlinking is a separate step, but "Complete EmuNAND Setup" should take care of everything else in one step. Make backups just in case. Your SysNAND will be untouched by the whole process anyways.

Cap'n Josh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't Ninjhax 1.x work with 8.1J? If you don't have a browser, that might be your only option. If that does not work, just use the GW software to backup the SysNAND. I wouldn't normally recommend using GW software, but the SysNAND created by this will also work in EmuNAND9.
No. Unfortunately Ninjhax uses the browser as part of the ROP, according to
sounds like a lie. ninjhax needs the browser (either spider or SKATER) to run at all, not just for installing. it won't work, sorry.
I don't really like using the GW software either, but I guess I'll have to this time. I just need a sysNAND backup in case I screw up and have to add in a hardmod later. Thanks for the quick response!

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Unfortunately Ninjhax uses the browser as part of the ROP, according to

I don't really like using the GW software either, but I guess I'll have to this time. I just need a sysNAND backup in case I screw up and have to add in a hardmod later. Thanks for the quick response!
Just a heads up, since you can now downgrade from >9.2 you can get/borrow a cart that has an update on it, upgrade, then downgrade to 9.2 from there... That quote from smea also only applies to ninjhax 1.x the newer hax, (which only work on 9.0+) do not use the browser in any way (except for browserhax ofc). Also everyone, keep in mind that since firmlaunchax wasn't fixed until 9.5, 9.3 and 9.4 are now just as vulnerable as 9.2 is :)

Reactions: peteruk

Cap'n Josh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up, since you can now downgrade from >9.2 you can get/borrow a cart that has an update on it, upgrade, then downgrade to 9.2 from there... That quote from smea also only applies to ninjhax 1.x the newer hax, (which only work on 9.0+) do not use the browser in any way (except for browserhax ofc). Also everyone, keep in mind that since firmlaunchax wasn't fixed until 9.5, 9.3 and 9.4 are now just as vulnerable as 9.2 is :)

IIRC, cartridge updates do not include the browser (from one of the many threads on updating an 8.1J unit). I'm not too worried about getting to an exploitable firmware necessarily, I can still just update all the way to 10.3 the old-fashioned way before downgrading. I just want to make sure I have a NAND backup in case things go wrong. I've hardbricked a 3DS or two before, so I know how important it is to keep a NAND backup handy. I could also just install the hardmod now and take a NAND backup directly, but I'd rather not deal with having to remove the entire motherboard unless I have to (I hate ribbon cables).

Regardless, the whole 8.1J upgrade thing is another topic for another time. I was just hoping I could boot into EmuNAND9 with a browserless method.

Last edited by Cap'n Josh,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, cartridge updates do not include the browser (from one of the many threads on updating an 8.1J unit). I'm not too worried about getting to an exploitable firmware necessarily, I can still just update all the way to 10.3 the old-fashioned way before downgrading. I just want to make sure I have a NAND backup in case things go wrong. I've hardbricked a 3DS or two before, so I know how important it is to keep a NAND backup handy. I could also just install the hardmod now and take a NAND backup directly, but I'd rather not deal with having to remove the entire motherboard unless I have to (I hate ribbon cables).
You'd be right on the cart updates not including browser, but, as I noted above, hax 2.x don't use the browser for ROP (ninjhax 1.x did though) several users have confirmed this :) anyways, yeah always good to have a NAND backup... Though I think you need a DS mode flashcart to use GW and the 8.1 MSET ROP only works on n3ds... So your only option might be to do a hardmod

Last edited by dark_samus3,

andrexd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Unlinking is a separate step, but "Complete EmuNAND Setup" should take care of everything else in one step. Make backups just in case. Your SysNAND will be untouched by the whole process anyways.
The problem is when i create emunand the games that i have on the 3ds folder dont appear anymore in the menu, sys or emu...

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I made an account just to ask a couple of questions so I can make sure.

So I did everything right, ending with my Nands unlinked and all, which meant a fresh start for me, no Streetpass data, no miis, no anything.
At first I was ok with that since I could pirate everything anyways, but I came to miss my Streetpass and Miis.

This is my question.
If I already configured the fresh emuNAND (creating a profile, new streetpass plaza data, etc) if I clone my sysNAND will it fuck up my emuNAND or it'll just overwrite it without risk of breaking something while still keeping emuNAND safe and unlinked?

What about my pirated games and DLC? Will I have to install those CIAs again or cloning the sysNAND into the unlinked emuNAND will just transfer my old data without ruining the CFW in emu?

andrexd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if you backed your SD card up first then you could simply restore the backup. If not you lost everything, sorry.
ive restored my nand, and i put the backed up card there and all games appear, but whe i create emunand all games dont appear anymore.

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
Hi d0k3, I've read the thread and I needed a little more clarification about the cloning of the sysnand to emunand.
First, setting up the emunand and cloning the sysnand would allow me to use my NNID in emunand, as well as keeping my friend list (among other things), right?
Then, after doing the process, I could format my sysnand to unlink the nands and keep only my emunand with my previous data. Afterwards, If I were to transfer my Nintendo 3ds folder to the SD card with the emunand, I should be able to see the games installed and their saves.

Bottomline, I should be able to use my emunand as it were my sysnand, if I use this tool and then copy some files.
I just wanted to be certain of this before I do the process. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer all the replies!

andrexd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
restore your backup again, your games should appear
When i restore my nand.bin and put all sd card files that ive backed up the games appear, but then i cant create emunand because then all games stop from appearing even if i put the same sd card files...

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i restore my nand.bin and put all sd card files that ive backed up the games appear, but then i cant create emunand because then all games stop from appearing even if i put the same sd card files...
If you already have an emuNAND created then restore your backup and don't do anything else, your games should appear and since you set it up once you'll still have emuNAND on the card, you can then use your games normally as well as your emuNAND (which stays no matter what files you have on the card as it's in it's own hidden space on the card) so basically, don't restore NAND.bin, restore the files to the SD card, since you set emuNAND up you should be all set

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I made an account just to ask a couple of questions so I can make sure.

So I did everything right, ending with my Nands unlinked and all, which meant a fresh start for me, no Streetpass data, no miis, no anything.
At first I was ok with that since I could pirate everything anyways, but I came to miss my Streetpass and Miis.

This is my question.
If I already configured the fresh emuNAND (creating a profile, new streetpass plaza data, etc) if I clone my sysNAND will it fuck up my emuNAND or it'll just overwrite it without risk of breaking something while still keeping emuNAND safe and unlinked?

What about my pirated games and DLC? Will I have to install those CIAs again or cloning the sysNAND into the unlinked emuNAND will just transfer my old data without ruining the CFW in emu?
If you clone from SysNAND, both NANDs will be linked again. That also means that everything installed to the unlinked EmuNAND will be gone (while everything installed to the SysNAND will be there). CFW won't be affected in any other way.

Hi d0k3, I've read the thread and I needed a little more clarification about the cloning of the sysnand to emunand.
First, setting up the emunand and cloning the sysnand would allow me to use my NNID in emunand, as well as keeping my friend list (among other things), right?
Then, after doing the process, I could format my sysnand to unlink the nands and keep only my emunand with my previous data. Afterwards, If I were to transfer my Nintendo 3ds folder to the SD card with the emunand, I should be able to see the games installed and their saves.

Bottomline, I should be able to use my emunand as it were my sysnand, if I use this tool and then copy some files.
I just wanted to be certain of this before I do the process. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer all the replies!
Exactly, you got it right. Your new EmuNAND will be the same as your SysNAND. After unlinking (meaning formatting the SysNAND), your SysNAND will be fresh and your EmuNAND still the same. Keep backups of everything (SysNAND, contents of SD card, EmuNAND) just to be safe!

Reactions: kiwiis and Geren

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1