Release date for 'System Shock' remake announced

system shock.png

The much-delayed System Shock remake by Nightdive Studios finally has a proper release date. The developer announced that the sci-fi title will launch this May 30 on PC. While no new trailer was aired at the time of writing, the trailer below from the PC Gaming Show 2022 can provide a peek at what to expect:

The System Shock remake will be available on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Game Store for $39.99 USD. An Xbox One, Series S|X, PS4 and PS5 version is also set for a release later, with a concrete date to be announced later.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It’s for occasions like this (and Gamepass, and Xbox BC) that I have a Series X standing right next to my main girl the PS5. This boy right here ain’t waiting, looks like I’ll be playing System Shock on Xbox.

RunePhantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s for occasions like this (and Gamepass, and Xbox BC) that I have a Series X standing right next to my main girl the PS5. This boy right here ain’t waiting, looks like I’ll be playing System Shock on Xbox.
Honestly, and maybe it's because of my age, I've never been able to finish the first System Shock. The controls were awful, but a remake with better controls is all I need in life. 2 was an incredible game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Honestly, and maybe it's because of my age, I've never been able to finish the first System Shock. The controls were awful, but a remake with better controls is all I need in life. 2 was an incredible game.
I much prefer the second game as that’s the one I played first. I got to play the original much later in life and I don’t remember if I completed it or not - I vaguely remember encountering some glitch or something that prevented progression. It’s admittedly a very dated piece of software and the Technicolor aesthetic isn’t to everyone’s liking, it’s perfect fodder for a remake in all honesty. That being said, I’m looking forward to the sequel even more, but I believe that’s handled by a different company and we haven’t seen or heard much about it for a while.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first game looked like pixellated rainbow vomit, but I liked it even though I only ever played it for a few hours. I remember there was some controversy with the remake when they decided to switch from Unity to UE4 or something, and everyone got pissed because the new graphics looked bland and generic compared to the previous demo. As an outsider to the series with a love for immersive sims though, that trailer does look awesome.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
people were getting worried about the lack of release date.
guess they saw the posts and tweets because a day later they revealed them.

MaskedRed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit, It's almost here. I haven't played the original but I have played the second one for a decent amount and I loved what I played, I just haven't finished it. I'm really hoping the remake lives up to the hype since system shock is beloved, can't wait to play it!

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've been looking forward to this and wish the team behind it the best of luck especially seeing how they've been stuck in development hell.

Naster

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
First time I played it in 2017. And fell in love with it since. SS2 I like less bc it wasn’t even supposed to be a SS game.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The demo's been ok, but this game has been in development hell for the past few yrs. Wtf has Nightdive Studios been doing all of this time?

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was creepy to me as a young lad but this video is leading me to believe it will be a little more creepy at an adult in the world we're currently living in :blink:... Cool :rofl2:

Shape

Trophies
Website
codenametiger.com
XP
Country
United States
The demo's been ok, but this game has been in development hell for the past few yrs. Wtf has Nightdive Studios been doing all of this time?
They're probably putting a lot of budget and effort into developing gameplay systems and imagery that will stand apart from it's genre contemporaries... so I would imagine they have been prototyping and then scrapping the whole thing, over and over and over.

After games such as, say, the Dead Space series, the REmakes, it's going to take a lot of imagination and creativity to do System Shock 2 justice. I'm excited because the game has *not* aged gracefully, but probably they should have left the starship von braun alone because something has gone very very wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night