Homebrew [Release] CIAngel - download GOOD cias right on your 3ds :)

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm assuming it had something to do with the CIA I was installing (Ironfall Invasion USA) being bigger than I had free space in my card for, as I had previously installed ASRT 3DS and I knew I only had at most 1 GB of storage space left before I installed ASRT.
That should result in an out of space error, not an MCU lockup.
CIAngel doesn't currently have a free space check. Most likely the free space on the SD card hit 0, and thus the 3ds couldn't boot. Unhooking the battery for a short while probably cleared some cached data on next boot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How do you use the 3dsx version of this to install keys?
Kernel access is required for ticket installation. The 3dsx version can only create CIA files

SEAgreen206

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Drakia If I use the create cia file function will the cia created have the current game updates with it? In other words, would the created Mario Kart cia have update 1.1 pre-patched? Thanks!

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
@Drakia If I use the create cia file function will the cia created have the current game updates with it? In other words, would the created Mario Kart cia have update 1.1 pre-patched? Thanks!
specifically for mario kart 7, the game already comes with 1.1 built in. but no, 99% of games need a separate update.

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I reinstalled the latest Hyrule Warriors DLC via CIAngel hoping for a "legit" installation, but it still gets deleted when I enter the eshop. (I messed up my ticket some time ago when I entered the DLC shop before installing the pirated DLC).

Is CIAngel not able to fix bad DLC tickets?

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I reinstalled the latest Hyrule Warriors DLC via CIAngel hoping for a "legit" installation, but it still gets deleted when I enter the eshop. (I messed up my ticket some time ago when I entered the DLC shop before installing the pirated DLC).

it basically always happens with dlc. we cannot help that, unless a dev does something in cfw to prevent the deletion.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

The server detects that you don't own it, so it's deleted. I don't see how that could ever be fixed given we can't change things on the server. But if cearp thinks it's possible then believe him :-)

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
The server detects that you don't own it, so it's deleted. I don't see how that could ever be fixed given we can't change things on the server. But if cearp thinks it's possible then believe him :-)
well i mean, technically it is possible sure - for example, the ps3 has something a bit similar, the console tries to delete your activation file under some circumstances, and basically all cfws prevent this.
i'm sure some 3ds dev could do something similar, so that the eshop/system can't delete our stuff. no matter what check is done server side, surely we can blank out that 'delete' function call somehow.
but i doubt that a dev will work on this, at least, i don't think anyone who has the ability has looked into it. so, don't expect anything lol

Reactions: Quantumcat

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it basically always happens with dlc. we cannot help that, unless a dev does something in cfw to prevent the deletion.
Okay, I guess DLC is a special case then, thanks for your reply!

But: I think this is not entirely true. My Streetpass Mii Plaza, Super Smash Bros. and Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies DLC never get deleted, no matter what I do. I installed those DLCs on my N3DS when I was bound to 9.5 EmuNAND and couldn't enter the eshop - I think that's why they remain.

This is an interesting post on that matter:

So, from what evidence has been gathered, this is how it breaks down.

1. Purchasing or downloading any free DLC (themes) installs a ticket.
  2. Visiting the DLC section in games installs an empty ticket.
  3. Installing DLC CIAs installs a ticket but will not overwrite an existing one.
  4. Your NNID will check your tickets when it's used to login to either the eShop, Theme Shop, downloading game updates or DLC shops.
  5. If your Title has a legit ticket, your DLC gets rolled back to what that ticket contains. If it has a non-legit ticket it stays.

Result and meaning: If you install a DLC CIA very first thing, before even opening or looking at DLC shops or options or getting any free kind of content or redeeming any DLC codes, you won't lose your DLC. If you did any of the above before installing your CIA, you'll lose it and need to re-install it. There is currently no known way to completely remove the legitimate DLC ticket to replace it with a CIA one. Though you can remove your NNID from your system and that stops the check when accessing eShop, Theme Shop, Updates or DLC shops.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
@bjaxx87 - yeah that is why i said basically :)
it seems if you never once entered the in game dlc shop for a game, then pirate the dlc and get the ticket, that dlc won't be deleted ever.
but if we don't have any ticket on our system and nintendo gives us the ticket, they register that on their server. and every time we go to the shop after that, it checks what is registered on their server and if it doesn't match up it deletes it. but yes, if nintendo never gave us a ticket, it doesn't know to check, so no deletion. that is just my understanding, but we can't really tell if it is accurate.
but the problem is not just tickets, because even if we delete all instances of the dlc ctickets on the system with something like fbi, the dlc can still get deleted.
no matter what we do, we can't remove that link on nintendo's servers. unless of course we get a new nnid i'm sure.

Last edited by cearp,

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@bjaxx87 - yeah that is why i said basically :)
it seems if you never once entered the in game dlc shop for a game, then pirate the dlc and get the ticket, that dlc won't be deleted ever.
but if we don't have any ticket on our system and nintendo gives us the ticket, they register that on their server. and every time we go to the shop after that, it checks what is registered on their server and if it doesn't match up it deletes it. but yes, if nintendo never gave us a ticket, it doesn't know to check, so no deletion. that is just my understanding, but we can't really tell if it is accurate.
but the problem is not just tickets, because even if we delete all instances of the dlc ctickets on the system with something like fbi, the dlc can still get deleted.
no matter what we do, we can't remove that link on nintendo's servers. unless of course we get a new nnid i'm sure.
Thanks for elaborating, this makes a lot of sense. No matter how "legit" an installed DLC is - if it differs from the information Nintendo saved on their server, it will disappear.

So there are only 3 solutions:
- Immediately install the pirated DLC to beat Nintendo in installing a ticket
- Set up a new NNID
- Buy the DLC legally via eshop

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So there are only 3 solutions:
- Immediately install the pirated DLC to beat Nintendo in installing a ticket
- Set up a new NNID
- Buy the DLC legally via eshop
about the bolded part if - you never go into the in game dlc store, i don't believe there will ever be a problem. because that is how nintendo gives us the ticket/mark on their server.:)

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

xrM

Trophies
XP
Country
If the download gets cancelled or CIAngel crashes halfway, does the partially downloaded file get removed from the sd or does it remain there corrupted?

Fixix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the CIA & searched a few games with my internet connection enabled, however I always get zero results, even with common games. Is there something more that must be done besides installing the CIA file, enabling your internet, and performing searches for game titles?
I see some mention about installing a ticket, is this the reason I get zero results? If so, where is the ticket file that I must install? Perhaps the search should be less strict & a partial search would give a list of results? Or maybe just allow the option of listing available games for download without the need to search at all?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I installed the CIA & searched a few games with my internet connection enabled, however I always get zero results, even with common games. Is there something more that must be done besides installing the CIA file, enabling your internet, and performing searches for game titles?
I see some mention about installing a ticket, is this the reason I get zero results? If so, where is the ticket file that I must install? Perhaps the search should be less strict & a partial search would give a list of results? Or maybe just allow the option of listing available games for download without the need to search at all?
You need the json file - but I think there's an option from within CIAngel to download it.

Reactions: Xenosaiga

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof