Homebrew [RELEASE] BAX - Boot animations for your 3DS!

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
If I could I'd host the animations. Then again, maybe themeplaza.art could considering they host splash screens for Luma.
im not even sure if I managed to discuss it with the owner, there was a ton of drama going on at the time and it was decided the animation files were too large to be easily hosted anyway

not sure if that site is the one I talked to, either

I've got a better setup these days so it should be possible to do it myself, but don't hold your breath...

Shadouurufu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there's some research on how sound works (afaik csnd block only, no dsp support yet) that is used for open_agb_firm but the complexity of adding it here is waaay too high, plus whenever I look at my old code I cringe at some points, I'd have to rewrite the whole thing from scratch. might be doable but I haven't really looked at it, plus this is a really old project that 'just worked' as is.

yeah, half abandoned, not gonna lie, but I still check in from time to time. at first I had ideas to keep a server that'd host animations and stuff but then everyone lost interest in the 3DS and whatnot, not a huge deal anyway, its great to see people still actually using it
That's a shame but the customised boot screen itself is still pretty cool.

SAORIxMEGUMIN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting

Bug!
Anim Validate

with a string of numbers.

I can view the gif just fine and when I convert it to video I can view it fine. IDK what happens with the bax converter that causes it to do that. Every other one I did was fine.

Edit: I forgot that converting gifs with variable framerate changes the overall number of frames in video format.

Last edited by SAORIxMEGUMIN,

SAORIxMEGUMIN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone managed to do both screens? When I do them side by side at 720x240 (left side top and right side bottom) it displays them next to each other in the middle of both screens.

If I set it to 400 x 480 with the bottom 400x240 having a centered 320x240 image then it resizes the width from 400 and they don't fit either.

Edit: NVM I solved it. The script I was using wasn't doing it correctly so I just manually did it.

Last edited by SAORIxMEGUMIN,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone managed to do both screens? When I do them side by side at 720x240 (left side top and right side bottom) it displays them next to each other in the middle of both screens.

If I set it to 400 x 480 with the bottom 400x240 having a centered 320x240 image then it resizes the width from 400 and they don't fit either.

Edit: NVM I solved it. The script I was using wasn't doing it correctly so I just manually did it.
Yeah, mine is dual screen but I don't remember how I did it exactly, but it;'s possible to do.

SAORIxMEGUMIN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know how to use this to convert to both screens with BaxTool? The script doesn't move the screens as intended, though it keeps the quality of the mp4.

Converting to IVF from mp4 makes the quality less unless I index the gif before making it an mp4, which also lowers color quality.

SAORIxMEGUMIN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SAORIxMEGUMIN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use ffmpeg to convert to ivf.

Command:
ffmpeg -i <input file> -f ivf -b:v 3110400 <outputname.ivf>
I guess since that image doesn't have so many colors the quality still looks good. When I convert some of my images that way it looks much worse compared to using the BaxTool to convert from MP4. Problem is that the dual screen script for BaxConverter doesn't work right.

PeeJay Bonobo

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess since that image doesn't have so many colors the quality still looks good. When I convert some of my images that way it looks much worse compared to using the BaxTool to convert from MP4. Problem is that the dual screen script for BaxConverter doesn't work right.
You could increase the value of -b:v from 3110400 to whatever you like, to be honest, because I've learned it won't have any real effect on the filesize of the final .bax file. I can convert 8 seconds of footage with worse bitrate and still wind up with a 32MB .bax file. At the same time, I can convert the same footage with quadruple the suggested bitrate and still wind up with a 32MB .bax file.

Reactions: SAORIxMEGUMIN

SAORIxMEGUMIN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could increase the value of -b:v from 3110400 to whatever you like, to be honest, because I've learned it won't have any real effect on the filesize of the final .bax file. I can convert 8 seconds of footage with worse bitrate and still wind up with a 32MB .bax file. At the same time, I can convert the same footage with quadruple the suggested bitrate and still wind up with a 32MB .bax file.
This fixed the issue, Thnx.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Also, not to be picky or anything but really? No audio support? I know the IVF format as it is only allows video, but you really couldn't have based the BAX format off of say, h264 or even AVI instead? I know that'd complicate things a bunch, but even this old thing by WiiCrazy and Xflak can play videos from a Wii's SD card at boot! Now, I know there's a difference between a Dol and a FIRM, a Wii and a 3DS. But I also think someone should take BAX and make BootAnim11. With audio support, and maybe some kinda switch version if possible.

Reactions: SAORIxMEGUMIN

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Wolfvak Got a bit of a problem.

Ever since I installed BAX, everytime I leave a DS or DSiWare game, my 3DS freezes on a black screen.

In my "bax" folder are bax.firm, boot.firm, and all my boot animations.

Am I missing anything?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr