Homebrew [RELEASE] BAX - Boot animations for your 3DS!

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
ok,
I'm stuck and dont know how to use cmd

I'm a little slow.

i used avs video converter and converted a .mp4 to Intel Indeo iYUV 4:2:0 (.ivf) but it still says .avi.
because i couldnt convert it with ffmpeg. idk how. i ried typing in
Desktop\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe start ffmpeg -i "Mario Nintendo Logo Animation.mp4" -f ivf -vf scale=<400>:240,fps=<60> "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\BAX.firm"
and it says
"The system can not find the file specified"

same thing with makebax:

i got as far by typing in

Desktop\release\makebax-win64.exe start makebax-win64.exe "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\new - Copy.avi" "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\" [-s n] [-c l] [-b back_color] [-a "Author"] [-i "Info"]

i got an error saying
"Couldn't open "Start" for reading
aborted.

Last edited by LowEndC,

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
ok,
I'm stuck and dont know how to use cmd

I'm a little slow.

i used avs video converter and converted a .mp4 to Intel Indeo iYUV 4:2:0 (.ivf) but it still says .avi.
because i couldnt convert it with ffmpeg. idk how. i ried typing in
Desktop\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe start ffmpeg -i "Mario Nintendo Logo Animation.mp4" -f ivf -vf scale=<400>:240,fps=<60> "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\BAX.firm"
and it says
"The system can not find the file specified"

same thing with makebax:

i got as far by typing in

Desktop\release\makebax-win64.exe start makebax-win64.exe "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\new - Copy.avi" "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\" [-s n] [-c l] [-b back_color] [-a "Author"] [-i "Info"]

i got an error saying
"Couldn't open "Start" for reading
aborted.
Tht's not an IVF file, an IVF is just a super simple container for a VP8/VP9 stream.

And yeah, you're using the cmd completely wrong. You're not meant to put the <> in "<400>" and "<60>" in the ffmpeg command line. Same goes to the cmdline used for makebax: look carefully at what you're typing and you'll see what's wrong. Another hint is that all parameters between "[]" are optional, and makebax will pick sane default values for them if you don't provide any. Obviously, if you're gonna pass specific values don't enclose them in [ ].

Reactions: LowEndC

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
Tht's not an IVF file...

yup, looked at it again, I'm a tard. 乁(☯ツ☯)ㄏ

here's my BAX animations, between 3-10 secs. i will aim for shorter ones, per my derpyness...

top screen only.

here are 2 custom luma boot screens i made

this one is labeled 'luma cool boot'
Link

this one is in 77.zip
if anyone wants a professional logo boot screen like this let me know :)

Attachments

• BAXBoot DSyo.zip
    595.2 KB · Views: 213
  • dsiHenflipnote.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 238
  • Opening.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 277
  • 2d.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 170
  • 77.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 256
Last edited by LowEndC,

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
kinda kool. 23 seconds long, but worth it,
Keep in mind the format was designed with animations that are ~5 seconds long. Nobody is gonna sit through 23 seconds of animation every time they boot up their console, it's ridiculous.

Also, please try to keep everything in a single message.

Last edited by Wolfvak,

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
Keep in mind the format was designed with animations that are ~5 seconds long. Nobody is gonna sit through 23 seconds of animation every time they boot up their console, it's ridiculous.

Also, please try to keep everything in a single message.

my b.

Last edited by LowEndC,

heretic97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
when i put the files the video open correctly but this error appears
https://imgur.com/LVd15ae
Any help? Thanks

PD: i have an old 3ds with the last vertion, and luma 8.1
-------------------Solved--------------------------------------------
Now the thing is: my video animations always have a low quality in the o3ds
idk why, before the convert they show great on the flv player

Last edited by heretic97,

DracoMan671

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first of let me get this straight dude um idk what is a repo please give the definitions and if you want a pokemon boot animation just give me the link to whichever mp4 file it is and i'll make it for you as quick as i can! Plus have a God blessed da and if you reply back quick with a link to whichever short mp4 you want i'll try my best to get a bax made for you before my bedtime today (even though tommorrow will have a 99% of no work due to a snow day)!
Will do when i find an anim i like. (repo=repository)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Neclord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a couple of old animations I used to use with BootAnim9 and really like. They all have no file types and are just named "anim" and/or "bottom_anim". If possible can anyone please explain to me how to go about converting them for use with this instead. Bit of noob here and any help is much appreciated.

Soukai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did this for both screens and wanted to share this with you. Have fun with it. I only found the low res gif of luma3ds but it doesn't look that bad i think. Especially on the low res 3ds it isn't noticeable but still i would be happy if someone would have the higher res one. :)

ezgif-3-61d245eff08b.gif

Alternate one:

ezgif-3-926cb9230142.gif

Attachments

• Switch_like_boot_with_Luma_buttoned.rar
    1.6 MB · Views: 232
Last edited by Soukai,

CrazyMaxx

Stand-User
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've always been unsatisfied with the original BA9, it was kinda weird with specific environments, etc... so I did the only logical thing.
I rewrote it from scratch (more than once!).

The new BAX uses lossless compression (LZ4) and delta encoding to work around some of the issues like the low resolution of the 3DS screens and fundamental problems like MJPEG size.

It uses a 16 bit color space (RGB565) and lossless compression, which leads to (IMHO) great visual quality when the video source is properly encoded. This also allows the use of up to both screens running at 60fps, the target I aimed for with the original BA9.

Also included in the source is makebax, an utilty that can convert IVF files to a format usable by BAX. It can accept videos that are 400x240, 320x240 or 720x240, each corresponding to a different variation - top screen only, bottom screen only or both screens at the same time. Read this for more information.

I know at this point in time the 3DS is quickly dying and nobody cares too much about anything other than CFWs when it comes to baremetal development, but I thought it'd be better to make a proper thread for this thing rather than let it rot in some hidden repo. Sorry about the lack of flair or any premade content on this thread, but I just don't know how to write attractive text, I guess.

If you make any animations, feel free to post them as replies to this thread, and as always, feedback is very appreciated.

Latest release
Source

The latest release link dont work :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs