Homebrew [RELEASE] BAX - Boot animations for your 3DS!

D

Deleted User

Is there a collection of premade animations? Thats how I got around on bootanim9
No, not exactly. If you use this, then it is super easy to create animations. What I did was I went to that same bootanim9 thread and i downloaded the preview gifs. Then i just converted them using the tool i linked. It is super easy.

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, not exactly. If you use this, then it is super easy to create animations. What I did was I went to that same bootanim9 thread and i downloaded the preview gifs. Then i just converted them using the tool i linked. It is super easy.
One other question, Im not seeing anywhere what to do with the .bax file once made. There's a bax.firm file which seems to be what we need to rename to boot.firm. But what do we rename luma's .firm file to? And where does the .bax file go

D

Deleted User

One other question, Im not seeing anywhere what to do with the .bax file once made. There's a bax.firm file which seems to be what we need to rename to boot.firm. But what do we rename luma's .firm file to? And where does the .bax file go
DO NOT rename the boot.firm. The bax firm goes on the root of the sd card. The original boot.firm and the .bax animation go into the bax folder. Multiple animations can go in the bax folder. On start up BAX will just choose one at random. It should look like this:

Example setups:

B9S:

boot9strap installed on FIRM0.
BAX in sdmc:/boot.firm.
Luma3DS in sdmc:/bax/boot.firm.
Other FIRMs in sdmc:/luma/payloads.

Unless you run fastboot3ds (like me) in which it should run like this :

fastboot3DS installed on FIRM0.
BAX in sdmc:/firm/bax.firm (with fastboot3DS default bootslot pointing to this).
Other FIRMs in sdmc:/firm, selectable through fastboot3DS if desired.

Understand?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, if you need me to convert and animation for you just ask :)

Last edited by ,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT rename the boot.firm. The bax firm goes on the root of the sd card. The original boot.firm and the .bax animation go into the bax folder. Multiple animations can go in the bax folder. On start up BAX will just choose one at random. It should look like this:

Example setups:

B9S:

boot9strap installed on FIRM0.
BAX in sdmc:/boot.firm.
Other FIRMs in sdmc:/luma/payloads.

Unless you run fastboot3ds (like me) in which it should run like this :

fastboot3DS installed on FIRM0.
BAX in sdmc:/firm/bax.firm (with fastboot3DS default bootslot pointing to this).
Other FIRMs in sdmc:/firm, selectable through fastboot3DS if desired.

Understand?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, if you need me to convert and animation for you just ask :)
Thanks, that's a lot more info than what I could find on the main post. The only thing I see here is how to make animations, but not quite any info on actually using the bax firm. You explained it perfectly, I'm pretty excited to get back into animated boot screens. The fact that it randomly selects an animation makes it way better than splash screens! I will convert any future animations on my own, I just needed one to start off with.
Do the .gif or .mp4 files need to be in a certain size before converting, or will the makebax convert it for me to the right size?

D

Deleted User

Thanks, that's a lot more info than what I could find on the main post. The only thing I see here is how to make animations, but not quite any info on actually using the bax firm. You explained it perfectly, I'm pretty excited to get back into animated boot screens. The fact that it randomly selects an animation makes it way better than splash screens! I will convert any future animations on my own, I just needed one to start off with.
Do the .gif or .mp4 files need to be in a certain size before converting, or will the makebax convert it for me to the right size?
It will automatically do it. Also, you can use this with splash screens.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will automatically do it. Also, you can use this with splash screens.
Randomized splash screens?!? That's incredible! How would the file format look like when using multiple splash screens with top and bottom screen?
Same for bax animations, how does it know which one is a top screen or bottom screen animation?

This would be awesome to get a mix of animations and static splash screens!

D

Deleted User

Randomized splash screens?!? That's incredible! How would the file format look like when using multiple splash screens with top and bottom screen?
Same for bax animations, how does it know which one is a top screen or bottom screen animation?

This would be awesome to get a mix of animations and static splash screens!
No, what I meant was that you could have your random animations, and then have your ONE static splash screen right afterwards. For the tool I lent you, you can choose whether it is bottom or top screen. Both screens is a little weird in the fact that it will cut the one aniation in half and play it on both screens.
5eoHXhR.png

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

You really should read the README.md and README_makebax.md files - they're there for a reason...

Quoted straight from README.md:
### How do I use it?

Download the BAX FIRM from the release archive, and set up your bootloader so that it's the first thing that gets loaded (or at least as early as possible).

Copy any BAX animation files to `sdmc:/bax/` ("bax" folder on the SD card). BAX will randomly choose one animation from all animations found in the folder.

Put the FIRM to be loaded afterwards (CFW, secondary bootloader, Linux, etc) on `sdmc:/bax/boot.firm`. If for some reason you want to keep the FIRM elsewhere (easier to maintain/update, etc) you can also create a file `sdmc:/bax/boot.txt` that contains the plaintext ASCII path to the FIRM (f.e. `boot.txt` can contain the text `"sdmc:/firm/cfw.firm"` without the quotes). Compatibility appears to be perfect, although further testing is required.

Is there a collection of premade animations? Thats how I got around on bootanim9
Sadly, no, I haven't even begun researching how to make a proper web service that takes BAX uploads to be shared. The best I can offer is to look around on this thread for animations others and I have uploaded.

[..]Both screens is a little weird in the fact that it will cut the one aniation in half and play it on both screens.
What? That can only happen if you did something terribly wrong, at least when using makebax.

Also, something I just realized by looking over GM9 is that on Friday BA9 turns two years old. I hope to make at least a demo of what could be the service I just mentioned.

D

Deleted User

You really should read the README.md and README_makebax.md files - they're there for a reason...

What? That can only happen if you did something terribly wrong, at least when using makebax.

I didn't use makebax to make my animations. I used the script posted in the thread earlier.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I didn't use makebax to make my animations. I used the script posted in the thread earlier.
Are you using the correct screen size? Because I've seen some people that select the "dual screen" option just by scaling any video to 720x240 - that is *very* wrong.

The dual screen option should only be used if you have a proper 720x240 video that's split into two (non-equal) sections: one that's 400x240 and another that's 320x240, each one of these represent what will appear on each screen.

Here's a pretty badly-drawn thing that lays out how it should look:
ex.png

Reactions: SoraJr

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, what I meant was that you could have your random animations, and then have your ONE static splash screen right afterwards. For the tool I lent you, you can choose whether it is bottom or top screen. Both screens is a little weird in the fact that it will cut the one aniation in half and play it on both screens.
5eoHXhR.png
Hey I just tried bax. The animation works fine but when it ends, it shows white static on the left side then goes black and nothing happens. I have luma's boot.firm in the bax folder on root. I really don't know what to do to troubleshoot this so for now I'll have to jump back to the regular luma setup. I literally copied the boot.firm from the bax folder to the root and it boots normally now, so it shows I did have the luma boot.firm in the bax folder.

Last edited by MattKimura,

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hey I just tried bax. The animation works fine but when it ends, it shows white static on the left side then goes black and nothing happens. I have luma's boot.firm in the bax folder on root. I really don't know what to do to troubleshoot this so for now I'll have to jump back to the regular luma setup. I literally copied the boot.firm from the bax folder to the root and it boots normally now, so it shows I did have the luma boot.firm in the bax folder.
You're running the first version of BAX which had a bug or two, use the latest one from the OP (make sure the release tag is "third_release"). If it still happens after making sure you're using the latest version, take a video and upload it here.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're running the first version of BAX which had a bug or two, use the latest one from the OP (make sure the release tag is "third_release"). If it still happens after making sure you're using the latest version, take a video and upload it here.
Thanks its all working now since I switched to the third release. Doesn't have that white static on the side either, clean animation.
I was just a bit confused from the gitlab interface since I'm not used to it. Plus I was skimming text so my fault for not reading slowly. I absolutely love this release! Never thought I would ever go back to animated boot screens since it was becoming outdated and harder to use.

Last edited by MattKimura,

gamesgod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hi @Wolfvak, May I make a suggestion?
Now we use the "X" button to skip the animation. Is it possible to change to any button? Then it is more convenient to use.
For example, choose payload menu and press "start" button directly. It doesn't need to hold down the "X" button, then press the "start" button and release the "X" button, which is quite troublesome.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hi @Wolfvak, May I make a suggestion?
Now we use the "X" button to skip the animation. Is it possible to change to any button? Then it is more convenient to use.
For example, choose payload menu and press "start" button directly. It doesn't need to hold down the "X" button, then press the "start" button and release the "X" button, which is quite troublesome.
https://gitlab.com/Wolfvak/BAX/blob/master/mpcore/src/main.c#L16

Change HID_X to whatever button you want. As always, I don't think I'll add a config file to change it on runtime, but if you think your button combo is better than the current one feel free to let me know.

gamesgod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
https://gitlab.com/Wolfvak/BAX/blob/master/mpcore/src/main.c#L16

Change HID_X to whatever button you want. As always, I don't think I'll add a config file to change it on runtime, but if you think your button combo is better than the current one feel free to let me know.

I don't mean the button specified in the configuration file, I mean any button. Just press any button, and the animation will skip.
For example, press "start" button directly, animation will skip. Holding it , then luma load a payload.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I don't mean the button specified in the configuration file, I mean any button. Just press any button, and the animation will skip.
For example, press "start" button directly, animation will skip. Holding it , then luma load a payload.
Not a bad idea, I'll add it in a couple of hours.

I don't think it warrants a release though, so you'll have to compile from source.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i heard obs makes gd lag alot