Homebrew [Release] 3DSBank - "Nintendo 3DS" folder selector

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NOTE: This app does not get around the 40 DSiWare title limit.

But DSi games intall in internal memory?
DSi titles are installed in the TWLNAND, which is part of the internal memory, that's why this homebrew can't do anything to help with the 40 DSiWare limit

Reactions: Itzumi

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Really 40 titles limit? I have installend only 9 titles and I have low storage
The 40 titles limit is an artificial limit. Think it this way: there are two limits, a "real" limit and an artificial one.
The "real" limit is given by the (tiny, only ~140MB iirc) size of the TWLNAND. If you try to install a DSi title that requires more space that what's available in the partition, the installation will fail.
The artificial one, however, doesn't have any reason to exist other than it was put there by Nintendo. So if you try to install a DSi title, but you already have 40 DSiWare installed... well actually I don't know what exactly happens, but it will not work. I guess it either fails to install, or it won't launch/appear on the Home menu once installed.
Now the thing is, the limits are completely separate from one another. You could have 40 installed DSiWare titles, each one occupying only, let's say, 1MB, but the installation will fail due to the artificial, 40 DSiWare titles limit. On the other hand, you could have only installed 5, really big DSiWare titles, taking up almost all the space available in the TWLNAND, and trying to install another title might fail because it would require more space than what's available, even if you're nowhere near the 40 titles limit.

Basically it's exactly what happens with 3DS titles, only that 3DS titles are installed to the SD card and the artificial limit is 300

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

JohnSheridan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Thank you for this!

One request: Do you can add the ability to rename the folders? I want to make a SD card with virtual console injections. Folder 1 = Gameboy, Folder 2 = Gameboy Advance and so on. And it would be cool if I can rename the folders into GB, GBA instead Slot0, Slot1 etc.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

konq3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This software is super awesome, I have been waiting for something like this for years! Thank You!
It would be super cool if we could rename the folders.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This software is super awesome, I have been waiting for something like this for years! Thank You!
It would be super cool if we could rename the folders.
Not as elegant as 3DSBank, but there's a gm9 script that can do folder name tracking of up to 4 folders: Change_Nin3DS_#_Folders
  1. In HOME Menu, press (L)-shoulder + (SELECT) + (DOWN) d-pad to bring up Rosalina menu Press (UP) twice → Reboot.
  2. Hold (START) → Luma3DS chainloaderGodMode9 → Press (HOME) → Scripts...Change_Nin3DS_#_Folder → etc.
  3. Once your business of changing Nintendo 3DS folders have concluded, press (START) to boot back to HOME Menu.

konq3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not as elegant as 3DSBank, but there's a gm9 script that can do folder name tracking of up to 4 folders.
Thanks a lot!! Does the script also have the problem that if I change the home layout in folder 1, it affects all other folders as well?

Last edited by konq3,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot!! Does the script also have the problem that if I change the home layout in folder 1, it affects all other folders as well?
Yes, it has this issue. A reason for this is that DSiWare and system titles take priority over SD card titles in terms of what gets loaded on HOME Menu first. When you change folders, the placement of those NAND titles stay the same. SD titles for that specific Nintendo 3DS folder are not affect unless it has been usurped by a NAND title. If that happens, that SD title will get booted to the first available free spot.

You can mitigate this by saving the HOME Menu Layout for each Nintendo 3DS folder if you go under HOME Menu Settings found in the top-left corner of the bottom touchscreen.

Robertuxo

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for this!

One request: Do you can add the ability to rename the folders? I want to make a SD card with virtual console injections. Folder 1 = Gameboy, Folder 2 = Gameboy Advance and so on. And it would be cool if I can rename the folders into GB, GBA instead Slot0, Slot1 etc.

I need this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol