Hacking [Release] 3DSafe: In-NAND PIN lock for 3DS

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice ^^

So if I can't remember the PIN, my 3DS is useless if I have no hardmod and a NAND backup?
Correct.

EDIT: What spash screen are you using in the video? :O
N3DS Space, from here: https://splash.3dsthem.es/?q=user:HeyItsJono

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

He was talking about when it is written to the NAND, and a suggestion for a back door is having the OTP on the card.
Correct. It's only written to SD temporarily while I figure out how to write it to NAND and read back from NAND.

I would totally use this, but the risk of a brick is kind of a turn off for me...
The risk of brick is not really any higher than installing any other A9LH payload. Just make sure you make a note of the PIN once NAND PIN storage is implemented. For now if you forget it you can just delete the pin.txt from the SD card to get around it.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't have any clue about how stages work, but couldn't you maybe reserve some space at a place you know (like for example "the beginning of stage 2") and put a default password there at compilation, then use a password-setter payload (that wouldn't be bootable without knowing the password, so it's not a backdoor) to modify it (it would have a max length but I don't think anyone wants to press 17 keys just to boot a 3DS :P)?

Reactions: Quantumcat

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Would be nice if it could display some contact information for if someone finds your 3DS.
Actually somebody else mentioned that but I forgot to add it to the to-do list.

this is a stuipd idea forget the pin and your 3ds is like a brick
Forgetting the PIN is a stupid idea.

You should be able to boot into Hourglass9 at least without the pin. The owner of the console is going to be the only person with a backup.
Hmm, what can you do in hourglass9? Just restore a NAND backup?

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Currently, the PIN is loaded from a file on SD (/pin.txt). This means that editing the file will change the PIN, and deleting it will remove the requirement to enter the PIN. This will change once NAND reading and writing has been added, at which point the PIN will be stored in NAND and it will not be possible to change it until the PIN has been entered. This will mean that there will be absolutely no way to circumvent the PIN lock.
In the meanwhile, maybe you can encrypt that file using a key extracted from the console. Provided that you have a NAND backup, it should be possible to decrypt the key in case you forget the PIN (without restoring the backup), without a pointless backdoor.
I'm not sure which console-specific keys can be accessed, though...
Is it possible?

Anyway... if you forget the PIN and don't even have a NAND backup, you could always try every possible combination (but since it's a 6-digit code, good luck with that... 10^6=1000000)

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
In the meanwhile, maybe you can encrypt that file using a key extracted from the console. Provided that you have a NAND backup, it should be possible to decrypt the key in case you forget the PIN (without restoring the backup), without a pointless backdoor.
I'm not sure which console-specific keys can be accessed, though...
Is it possible?
I have no idea. But it's not really worth adding encryption/decryption since SD storage of the PIN is temporary.

Anyway... if you forget the PIN and don't even have a NAND backup, you could always try every possible combination (but since it's a 6-digit code, good luck with that... 10^6=1000000)
Also, it's only because of the PIN I chose that it's 6-digit. You could use any length of PIN you like.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Quantumcat
The problem with booting hourglass9 if the PIN is incorrect is that the user could replace the hourglass9 payload with something else (i.e. CFW) to get the 3DS to boot even with an incorrect PIN. A couple of ideas which occur to me are:
  • Once NAND reading and writing is working, the hourglass9.bin payload could be stored as a file in NAND, and then saved to SD any time it is needed. That way, only hourglass9 will be bootable if an incorrect PIN is entered
  • Extract the parts of hourglass9 which write the NAND backup and incorporate it directly into 3DSafe
Of the two solutions, I am leaning more towards the first. What do you think?

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
@Quantumcat
The problem with booting hourglass9 if the PIN is incorrect is that the user could replace the hourglass9 payload with something else (i.e. CFW) to get the 3DS to boot even with an incorrect PIN. A couple of ideas which occur to me are:
  • Once NAND reading and writing is working, the hourglass9.bin payload could be stored as a file in NAND, and then saved to SD any time it is needed. That way, only hourglass9 will be bootable if an incorrect PIN is entered
  • Extract the parts of hourglass9 which write the NAND backup and incorporate it directly into 3DSafe
make it generate a key file or some thing and if its on the sd it will let you boot it with out a pin and every key file is different for every 3ds those other solutions will let a theif brick your 3ds they could just download the hourglass9 bin file to get in it needs to be different for every 3ds

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I don't know why this is a problem. Remember that you would have to restore a NAND from the device itself. So if the 3DS were to be stolen, somebody would have to restore YOUR NAND backup using a hardmod. For that to happen, the 3DS thief would have to know where I live, know where I keep my NAND backup, break in to my house and steal it. I think at that point I have bigger problems than my 3DS :P

I don't know what that has to do with Apple. But the only person who would not know my 3DS PIN would be a thief. And if they've got my property, then I'm absolutely happy for the 3DS to be a brick.

Too easy to circumvent. Thief google's 3DS PIN code, finds the GitHub page for 3DSafe, and obtains the backdoor combination, rendering the PIN completely useless.

Let me reiterate: I will not be adding a back door function to this payload. If you don't like the idea of a locked NAND with no way of bypassing the lock, then don't use it.

The iOS activation lock feature. If you factory reset a password protected device, you will need to enter the password to make it work again. The password is verified by Apple's server and is used to decrypt iOS. The operating system is encrypted upon istallation. The decryption key is literally the password you use. And no, you can't just install unecrypted version, because Apple's server has to allow you to install anything.

Last edited by osm70,

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
@Quantumcat
what good would that do ? since hourglass9 will never overwrite a9lh, it won't replace the stage1/2 of a9lh and thus won't help to recover from a forgotten pin code. also, sorry to bust your bubble, but if you allow people to overwrite their nand, people on O3DS can easily bypass your stage 1 and 2 thanks to the fact that a9lh is totally standardized, simply repace firm0 by a o3ds firm that is smaller than a9lh firm1 (and they exist) and it totally bypasses the pin code and if the used firm is from before 11.0, a downgrade will bring them back to an exploitable firmware.

Last edited by capito27,
Reactions: astronautlevel

MistWisp

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Quantumcat
You can do a MD5 or SHA1 verification to see if the payload is actually hourglass9

-Xin-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
The idea is that there is no backdoor. If there's a backdoor, it's useless.

The code is on GitHub, so if anybody wants to fork it and add a backdoor then that's up to them, but in this release there won't be one.
So that mean if we hate someone we can use your "3DSafe" one him and choose a random password and then boom he can never play with it !!!!!!
Dude even great company have backdoor , your software can be used on evil more than good ... think a little before releasing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8