Gaming Relay Station Cartridge

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post on the forum, but long story short, two years ago I was given a few dumps of some Nintendo Zone DS software. Two of the roms I received kind of peaked my interest: RelayStation.nds and RelayStation.srl. They both run the same application, so I'm not sure if there's a difference between them. I have screenshots of said application here:

UnzjNNK.jpg

tNr05sz.jpg

I was just wondering if these two are useful in any way and what I'm supposed to do with them to get them to function. Pressing start saves the application and then a message appears for a communication.

SRL is often a debug or one used for download play. While there could be a difference it might not be a functional one.

Not heard of them and a search yields not a lot either.

One of the ways the DS passed out demos at events (or in shops) was to have a DS in a box pumping out download play code. However being a DS in a box you are unlikely to have the greatest range so the obvious first guess based on the name is it is indeed a relay station, that being a device used to boost range by taking the signal and spitting it back out.

Reactions: TheCosmicWarrior

TheCosmicWarrior

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
One of the ways the DS passed out demos at events (or in shops) was to have a DS in a box pumping out download play code. However being a DS in a box you are unlikely to have the greatest range so the obvious first guess based on the name is it is indeed a relay station, that being a device used to boost range by taking the signal and spitting it back out.

So from my understanding, this app works in way similar to a Wi-Fi extender?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Having neither seen the code, had nobody else write anything about it, what looks like a generally unhelpful screen up there and pretty much only have the name to go by I can't really say.

It is however a thing that can be done and would have some practical value to do (coverage for your demos, pictochat or the like would be useful in exhibitions, shops and what have you), and I don't think anything would be ambiguously named/similarly named I would go with most likely in a general sense. What it does in a technical sense (wifi extenders and relays are specific things with specific modes of operation) I do not know.

Reactions: TheCosmicWarrior

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out