Hacking Reinstall sys firm possible?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa Nelly, that's a lot of stuff. lol I'm going to continue trying the CTR Transfer with my new emuNAND first, before I try all that with my SysNAND. I've already done the CTR transfer to my emuNAND, and I tried updating it but it got about a third of the way through and gave an error. I'm going to try it again.

I really don't care about anything else except my game saves and NNID. I've already backed up all of my games' saves with JKSM. I don't mind having to reinstall all of my games on a fresh system, so long as I can keep my CFW, NNID, and restore my game saves. lol
If you have a NAND backup, you should be good to go, boot9strap can't be unintentionally uninstalled afaik so you'll always have cfw, game save backups are good cause you can transfer it to any system even if it's encrypted differently, and you should be able to grab your nnidsave with Decrypt9WIP (it's updated to be a firm too so just go grab the latest nightly https://d0k3.secretalgorithm.com/

Reactions: Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a NAND backup, you should be good to go, boot9strap can't be unintentionally uninstalled afaik so you'll always have cfw, game save backups are good cause you can transfer it to any system even if it's encrypted differently, and you should be able to grab your nnidsave with Decrypt9WIP (it's updated to be a firm too so just go grab the latest nightly https://d0k3.secretalgorithm.com/
Oh, I didn't know D9 was updated! Awesome, thanks! I'll use that to backup my NNID save.
I do have some bad news, though: my emuNAND, even after CTR transfer and system update, is getting stuck updating Animal Crossing. I'm using Animal Crossing because the update is much larger than the updates for other games that I have. Those games with smaller updates have no problems updating. The system doesn't freeze while updating, the update just doesn't progress past a certain point. Right now, it's not progressing past just over a third. If I try to switch off the wifi, Rosalina (super handy module, loving it) provides the error that I outlined in the OP.
So I'm not so sure that hotswapping all the system titles would do me any good, if I'm having the same problems with a CTR transfer'd, updated emuNAND, unless there's something that the CTR transfer and update is missing.

EDIT: I'll try the latest Luma nightly and see if anything changes.
EDIT2: Oh, also, when I hold start at boot, I don't get an option to select a payload; it just boots GodMode9. I removed the "start_" from the beginning of the GM9 firm's filename, which I thought was the problem, but nothing changed. So I can only boot to Luma's settings, or GM9. Suggestions? :/
EDIT3: Woops, scratch that: safeb9sinstaller.firm still had the start_ at the front of its filename. It was booting GM9 for some reason. It's fine now, I can select payloads. lol

Last edited by Ar7ific1al,
Reactions: NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I didn't know D9 was updated! Awesome, thanks! I'll use that to backup my NNID save.
I do have some bad news, though: my emuNAND, even after CTR transfer and system update, is getting stuck updating Animal Crossing. I'm using Animal Crossing because the update is much larger than the updates for other games that I have. Those games with smaller updates have no problems updating. The system doesn't freeze while updating, the update just doesn't progress past a certain point. Right now, it's not progressing past just over a third. If I try to switch off the wifi, Rosalina (super handy module, loving it) provides the error that I outlined in the OP.
So I'm not so sure that hotswapping all the system titles would do me any good, if I'm having the same problems with a CTR transfer'd, updated emuNAND, unless there's something that the CTR transfer and update is missing.

EDIT: I'll try the latest Luma nightly and see if anything changes.
EDIT2: Oh, also, when I hold start at boot, I don't get an option to select a payload; it just boots GodMode9. I removed the "start_" from the beginning of the GM9 firm's filename, which I thought was the problem, but nothing changed. So I can only boot to Luma's settings, or GM9. Suggestions? :/
well emuNAND is just your sysNAND on SD, if one is broken, the other will be too
also, that's fine, I have D9WIP and GM9 mapped to a_ and b_ and any non-extensions I add e.g. "SafeB9SInstaller.firm" list when holding start
I had very weird symptoms like you are before I reinstalled all the titles, it might be some cache thing so you could also use TinyFormat and reinstall the game and copy over the save and be fine

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well emuNAND is just your sysNAND on SD, if one is broken, the other will be too
also, that's fine, I have D9WIP and GM9 mapped to a_ and b_ and any non-extensions I add e.g. "SafeB9SInstaller.firm" list when holding start
I had very weird symptoms like you are before I reinstalled all the titles, it might be some cache thing so you could also use TinyFormat and reinstall the game and copy over the save and be fine
So the CTR transfer is not as nuclear as hotswapping the titles manually, then?
TinyFormat will format the currently running NAND, correct?
I'm testing right now with my retail copy of Animal Crossing, so I don't have to bother installing the eShop version. It's just easier to pop in the card and tell it to update. lol

Reactions: NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the CTR transfer is not as nuclear as hotswapping the titles manually, then?
TinyFormat will format the currently running NAND, correct?
I'm testing right now with my retail copy of Animal Crossing, so I don't have to bother installing the eShop version. It's just easier to pop in the card and tell it to update. lol
as far as I know yes, only formats the one, luma should make sure of that since it just calls this one function, and CTR transfer is basically just a NAND dump from someone else's console and there's a lot of unique data which it ignores so yes, hotswap is more effective

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as far as I know yes, only formats the one, luma should make sure of that since it just calls this one function, and CTR transfer is basically just a NAND dump from someone else's console and there's a lot of unique data which it ignores so yes, hotswap is more effective
I've just run tinyformat from emunand, and it has successfully formatted my emunand. Running through initial setup right now. Jesus this is always so annoying! lol
Updating ACNL now...
It told me an error occurred and to try again later. Trying again after rebooting, not later. lol
Slowly progressing to halfway.
Surpassing halfway. I've had it get stuck about here.
And it has stalled halfway through the update...
Well... lol I guess I'll start the hotswap process. Gonna try it on the emunand first. I know there's no real risk to messing up my sysnand so long as I have a backup (and I do), but I'd rather not do it on my sysnand unless I can resolve the issues on the emunand first. If it works for the emunand, then I'd have to do double the work and do it again for the sysnand. Or, alternatively, I could inject the emunand to the sysnand, right? :P

Reactions: Quantumcat

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@NWPlayer123 I did hit a snag: I'm on the 00040030 titles. I uninstalled them all, and when I went to start reinstalling them, 8F02 won't install; it says it already exists. But I can't find an 8F02 in the 00040030 titles, including the ones that have names. I've checked three times just to be sure. I also checked installed tickets to make sure the ticket was removed for the title - it was not. I cleaned up all unused tickets, so now the ticket for 8F02 is gone. It still will not install. Full details and error details:
Name: 0004003000008F02.cia
Attributes: None
Size: 3.52 MiB
Title ID: 0004003000008F02.cia
Version: 27648 (27.0.0)
Region: Unknown
Installed Size: 3.59 MiB

Failed to install CIA file.
Result code: 0xC8E083FC
Level: Status (25)
Summary: Invalid argument (7)
Module: AM (32)
Desc: Already exists (1020)

It matches the home menu title from the title list. I'm positive I haven't overlooked anything.

EDIT: I found the title by manually browsing the NAND. I'm not going to touch it unless instructed otherwise. lol
EDIT2: Meh, screw it, I'm gonna copy it from the NAND so I have a backup, then delete it from the NAND. If it breaks, it breaks. It's only the emunand. lol
EDIT3: I didn't delete it from the NAND. I just tried powering off the system and it locked when I hit the power button. It gave a kernel panic when I held the button down to force it off. I don't know what to do with the crash dump it generates. I guess my only option here is to restore the emunand and try again! lol

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, uh, if it says it already exists, delete it and then boot into recovery and that should(?) reinstall it
EDIT: oh wait, home menu, yeah, it'll do that, delete it and then boot recovery, will work fine without the home menu

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, uh, if it says it already exists, delete it and then boot into recovery and that should(?) reinstall it
EDIT: oh wait, home menu, yeah, it'll do that, delete it and then boot recovery, will work fine without the home menu
Will the recovery mode work with the emunand? I tried Google but didn't find anything. lol
I mean, I guess it wouldn't make a difference, right? Recovery mode doesn't do anything for my sysnand, it just says it's up to date. So if I boot recovery mode and it tells me it's up to date, I'll assume it can't be used for the emunand. lol

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the recovery mode work with the emunand? I tried Google but didn't find anything. lol
I mean, I guess it wouldn't make a difference, right? Recovery mode doesn't do anything for my sysnand, it just says it's up to date. So if I boot recovery mode and it tells me it's up to date, I'll assume it can't be used for the emunand. lol
it's just a separate set of titles on NAND so yes, it'll work as if emuNAND was its own thing (look at yls8 page), it's not some fancy hardware thing

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's just a separate set of titles on NAND so yes, it'll work as if emuNAND was its own thing (look at yls8 page), it's not some fancy hardware thing
Just making sure. lol Forgot to delete the home menu from the emunand. Now the recovery mode was able to do some updating, but it still won't boot the emunand. :/ I'm 110% certain I didn't do anything that I wasn't instructed to do! lol

If what NWPlayer told you to do doesn't work start praying my guy because you have a haunted 3ds
Yeah, no kidding! lol

EDIT: The home menu title isn't present in the emunand even after updating with recovery mode. Hm...

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just making sure. lol Forgot to delete the home menu from the emunand. Now the recovery mode was able to do some updating, but it still won't boot the emunand. :/ I'm 110% certain I didn't do anything that I wasn't instructed to do! lol

Yeah, no kidding! lol

EDIT: The home menu title isn't present in the emunand even after updating with recovery mode. Hm...
tbh you don't really need emuNAND for this, even if you "brick" sysNAND, like I said, you can just boot into GodMode9 since boot9strap is so early and restore your NAND, only takes like 6 minutes, it's inconvenient but much simpler

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh you don't really need emuNAND for this, even if you "brick" sysNAND, like I said, you can just boot into GodMode9 since boot9strap is so early and restore your NAND, only takes like 6 minutes, it's inconvenient but much simpler
This may be true, but I don't wanna have to take a break and not have a 3DS to play in the interim. lol

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't be playing my 3DS for the night, probably, so I decided to just go ahead and try again with sysnand. I got the same issue: home menu CIA would not install. I was able to power off successfully without forcing it off. I deleted the home menu from the NAND manually. Recovery mode booted, updated, and my 3DS boots now. Resuming nuclear reset!

EDIT: I've finished nuking everything and reinstalling. I guess now all I need to do is just... use my 3DS for a couple days. lol I'll post if I have any trouble. Thanks, @NWPlayer123 :)
EDIT2: I realized I don't need to use it and wait around for something to happen, I can just try updating ACNL. And... it got stuck again. I tried updating other games. Pokémon Y, Sun, Alpha Sapphire all updated fine. So I tried redownloading Pokémon X from the eShop. It doesn't get far before it stops downloading. If I try to interact with it, it soft locks, and I have to force it to turn off. -sigh- I dunno what to do. :(

EDIT3: I've done some more investigating. Whenever a download hangs and I switch off the wireless, I get an error for the process titled "nwm." I looked this up and it's the low-level wifi manager. I'm not sure if the error is being thrown because it has crashed, or if there's something wrong with the NWM module. It's a 40130 title: 0004013000002d02. Can this be safely reinstalled to test? :/

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be worth reporting:
I switched off the wireless on my 3DS and put it to sleep before bed. I've been checking on it every hour or so since I got up. It has yet to get locked in sleep or freeze after waking. This seems to lend credibility to my theory that there may be an issue with the NWM.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be worth reporting:
I switched off the wireless on my 3DS and put it to sleep before bed. I've been checking on it every hour or so since I got up. It has yet to get locked in sleep or freeze after waking. This seems to lend credibility to my theory that there may be an issue with the NWM.
yeah, I was wondering why it was that thing specifically, on yls8 it's 0004013000002D02 and 0004013000002D03 for both normal mode and safe mode, maybe try going into FBI, deleting 2, booting into Recovery Mode and having it reinstall, then going into FBI again, deleting 3, and using normal system update to have it reinstall that, and if that doesn't work then we got problems

Last edited by NWPlayer123,

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I deleted title and ticket for 2D02, rebooted into recovery mode and updated just fine. Tried updating ACNL: still gets stuck, same error when switching off wireless after it gets stuck.
I then deleted title and ticket for 2D03, did not reboot, updated in system settings fine. Got a kernel panic when it shut down to restart. Started it back up just fine. ACNL still gets stuck. Switching off the wireless produces the same results.
Welp... Now what? lol

Ar7ific1al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I'm convinced there is something seriously wrong with wireless communications on my 3DS. Everything is fine as long as the wireless is off. I just tried going to a friend's town on ACNL (I have it updated on my normal SD card). It works fine. But after a while, any wireless communication will bug my 3DS, then soft lock if I try to interact with it.
Please, @NWPlayer123, please tell me you have something else up your sleeve that I can try. lol It's going to be a loooong time before I can afford to replace my 3DS, if ever. :/

EDIT: Just to see what would happen, I restored a NAND backup I have from last year when my 3DS was on 11.2, went through the A9LH->B9S update process, and went online with Pokémon Y. After a while, I got a communication error and my 3DS soft locked, and Rosalina produces the same error as usual.

EDIT2: Tried the previous again, but using an 11.1 emuNAND backup. No changes.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I'm convinced there is something seriously wrong with wireless communications on my 3DS. Everything is fine as long as the wireless is off. I just tried going to a friend's town on ACNL (I have it updated on my normal SD card). It works fine. But after a while, any wireless communication will bug my 3DS, then soft lock if I try to interact with it.
Please, @NWPlayer123, please tell me you have something else up your sleeve that I can try. lol It's going to be a loooong time before I can afford to replace my 3DS, if ever. :/

EDIT: Just to see what would happen, I restored a NAND backup I have from last year when my 3DS was on 11.2, went through the A9LH->B9S update process, and went online with Pokémon Y. After a while, I got a communication error and my 3DS soft locked, and Rosalina produces the same error as usual.

EDIT2: Tried the previous again, but using an 11.1 emuNAND backup. No changes.
I'm thinking it's either a hardware thing or a cache save thing, have you used TinyFormat again? If not, try that, if yes, I'm gonna try something else fun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?