''rehacking'' a ps3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by nico445, Dec 3, 2011.

Dec 3, 2011

''rehacking'' a ps3 by nico445 at 12:32 PM (521 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. nico445
    OP

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I have a ps3 from my friend standing here... and it's just a mess it was used first with a jailbreak stick.
    after that it was updated to some 3.5.5 firmware (don't know which one) is it possible to make a clean start..
    like removing all installed pkg files,games etc. and reinstall the firmware?
    Which firmware should i use and are there any other things that i should know... I would be glad if someone could help me out
    because i'm pretty new to the playstation stuff :P

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    You can remove all installed "titles" from the XMB>triangle>delete menu.

There can be many non listed files stored in his internal HDD (like backup games), if you don't want to keep them you can use a homebrew with FTP/file manager capability (there are many available, even game managers have such access and tools included).
    The games are usually stored in /dev_hdd0/games/ or /dev_hdd0/gamez/
    the other game storage path are usually in a sub-folder of the game managers themselves and are deleted automatically when you remove the Manager using the XMB delete command.

ATTENTION: Do not delete /dev_hdd0/GAME/ (NO "S" at the end of the folder's name).
    the GAME folder is the used by the system and XMB.

Once the Content of the console is clean enough for you, you can reinstall another 3.55 custom firmware on top of the current one* (it's often better to first install the official fw3.55, then reinstall another cfw).

You have different choice on cfw.
    The most used is Kmeaw, it allows installation of un/signed packages (pkg), and launch of un/signed eboot.

There is also Rebug cfw (which I think you currently have installed if you have a three decimal firmware version, for example "3.55.x").
    This cfw has more options and features, for example to spoof another firmware version to prevent accidental update, re-enable PSN game licenses, True Blue edition (with True Blue dongle) allowing the launch for 3.56+ games, etc.

You can also try the "Mfw" (modified Firmware), which is in a form of a program allowing you to tweak many features to add or remove content on the firmware and create your own personalized interface instead of using the same as every other users (Kmeaw, Waninkoko, Wutangrza, Rebug, etc.)

I can't tell you which one is better, it will only depend on what you want.
    The easier is Kmeaw.
    You can follow the installation guide in the sticky topic in this forum's section.

*The only time when you can't reinstall a 3.55 over another 3.55 is if you used E3Flasher to downgrade.

3. nico445
    OP

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Thanks, got it all running :D getting certain games to run is still tricky.. guess i'm spoiled with the wii :P