Regret/Remorse in gaming

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by chavosaur, Feb 25, 2013.

Feb 25, 2013

Regret/Remorse in gaming by chavosaur at 9:05 PM (1,260 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. chavosaur
    OP

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT ABOUT GAMES YOU REGRET PLAYING. THIS IS ABOUT THE FEELING OF REGRET YOU MAY HAVE FELT FROM SOMETHING IN THE GAME.
    I've played through a few games that have given me a feeling of regret or remorse, or just something I dont feel comfortable doing. But the biggest game that gave me these feelings, was Telltale's The Walking Dead. Never before had I been faced with difficult decisions, that only led to regret or sorrow as to the events that unfolded next. Wonderful experience.
    What about y'all? What games gave you this feeling?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

hayyyy

Gahars and chavosaur like this.
  3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Heavy Rain
    /thread

Qtis likes this.
  4. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Releasing both Spec Ops and The Walking Dead in the same year was a one-two punch of induced guilt.

chavosaur likes this.
  5. chavosaur
    OP

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Care to explain? Ive never actually played it... (Played spec ops though)

Nxenz likes this.
  6. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    This is a rather hard one to explain since I only played it once, but the game really forces you to make quick decisions that effect the whole game, hell a little spoiler.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

7. TheJeweler

Newcomer TheJeweler Connoisseur of the Fistic Arts

United States
    How does choosing how to cut off your finger change the game? Any ways the most regretful I can remember was playing Ib when I got the ending where Ib and Gary didn't remember one another, it just left me feeling unfulfilled.

8. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The first time I shot a scientist in the leg, on Goldeneye for the N64.... At first I felt bad, then I thought it was funny lol It took me a week to complete that level. lol

Edit: Also the kids in Bioshock, I beat it with out hurting them first but to see the other ending I killed them all.

9. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    In GTA I'm glad there's other options of how to kill someone because stomping on their unconscious body until their blood forms a puddle under them I find rather disturbing.

A sad statement on my state of mind, though, is that shooting them, running them over, etc, doesn't really bother me :unsure:

10. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    I'm not sure how I did it but just ONCE in that game I shot a soldier in ... I guess the the neck ... and he then dropped his weapon and began struggling for breath with his hands on his throat, eventually to end up leaning against a wall and then slid down it and disappeared. I felt kinda bad for the guy. Could never replicate that death scene again, though.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Braid's ending.

(and for the love of God, do NOT open this spoiler unless you've finished the game. And if you haven't: go get it).

mightymuffy likes this.
  12. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    There's at least one occasion that I can remember:

McHaggis, Geren, chavosaur and 2 others like this.
  13. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    I had to think on this one for a while. The firs thing that came to mind was some of those old LJN games, but their saving grace is that they were short, well except Rambo.

The game that I regret playing the most I think though was Final Fantasy II, the old Famicom version, not the American release of FF IV.

This games story was nothing to write home about, especially when compared to Final Fantasy I's story with the archeological dig and what not. Basically I felt like all I did was endure fight after fight which required no strategy what so ever. Generally I love a little grinding but that was all there was to this game, mindless grinding that require no strategy what so ever. On top of that, the story that tied all the grinding together felt like a very weak rip off of the old Star Wars story line. Granted I LOVE my classic Star Wars, and one might think that I would be down with a story that was blatantly inspired by it, but I was not impressed in the least. There were no surprises in the game, nothing to get me excited, nothing to make me sad, it was just blah.

What made things even worse is that the end boss fight felt like battling any other enemy in the game, I think he was a hair tougher than a Blue Slime from Dragon Quest and that was about it. If I recall correctly three or four rounds of attacks from my party brought him down. I don't recall even having to use any heal spells or potions. Though I will say that the journey through the levels of Hades was a chore in itself. Had the final boss been hard there would be no way of surviving it as the journey to get there was a boss fight on it's own!

14. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States

Qtis, gamefan5, Scuba156 and 2 others like this.
  15. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Shagging Tali in Mass Effect 2 then choosing the Geth in ME3, half expecting her Quarians to simply drop their weapons kind of thing... to which they don't, and she tops herself in front of me, before I'd even managed to do the dirty in that episode too! Could've had a do with the blue un but nah, my Shepherd finally croaked it with a good sackful... Looking back though, leading her on through ME1 & 2, finally giving it to her, then wiping her entire race out when their situation was at its worst = my Shepherd was a right bastard! :lol:

16. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
    Did someone say Mass Effect?

Okay, i felt really bad when Sephiroth killed Aerith in FF7.

17. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    This, shits fucked up.

18. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Oh god this entire game so hard. So many regrets while playing that I had to play it like 4 different times.

Gahars likes this.
  19. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Likewise if you cheated on your ME1 love interest with someone else in ME2, and then when the ME1 love interest confronts you about it in ME3... Oooh, yeah, regrets.

Of course if you killed your ME1 love interest in ME1, that would be a pretty big one in and of itself.

20. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Come on it was good UP TO 3... had to complete it for the sake of it!Didn't get to give Tali another one (and certainly won't be touching it again) so yeah I felt a bit bad. Didn't give a flying bollock about Aerith popping her clogs in FF7 though, she was an OK character but I'd much rather have given Tifa on-gawd I've got sex on the mind tonight, best wake the wifey up hehe (TMI?)