region swap my wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cearp, Nov 25, 2009.

Nov 25, 2009

region swap my wii by cearp at 1:52 PM (823 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. cearp
    OP

Member cearp the ticket master

Tuvalu
    [​IMG] ok, so i am on a brand new 4.1E console, i couldn't install bootmii as boot2, and, i THINK i have a d3-2 drive, as i couldn't run a gc backup (the gc backup loader just restarted my wii when it read it)
    can i convert my wii to a 4.1J?
    will i have to unistall dvdx, the mios i needed for gc loader, and bootmii ios and the hbc?
    i read that some wiis can't region swap, as doing this puts the region down to 3.2, and some wiis cannot handle new the older firmwares.
    is my wii one of those un-regionchangeable (as yet)?
    do i have to 'downgrade' whilst changing my region, or can i just go straight to J?
    (i have lots of japanese wii retail disks, so, since my drive can't play backups (i think) then, i have to swap the region to play them)
    thank you so much! i am worried about bricking it, as i have no bootmii in boot2 [​IMG]

2. shepe

Member shepe GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I wouldn't try and downgrade at all m8 youl end up with a brick, the easiest thing I can think of for you to do would be to install a USB loader and play your games from that as you will be able to play games from different regions then the only thing I don't think you can do anything about is gamecube backups as there isn't a USB loader for GC games.

3. cearp
    OP

Tuvalu
    hi, i know i can't play gc games, from usb, and as i said, i have many retail disk that i would like to use, and also want to buy more [​IMG]
    it is possible to downgrade from 4.1 to 3.2, but i'm just asking if there is anything specific to my wii that i stated which will let me not do this.
    thank you!

4. dai-a

Member dai-a GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No. You will brick if you are on 4.2 and you region changed a wii.

Since you can't install bootmii as boot2, you can't downgrade past 4.0
    Because you have a boot2v4 wii.
    4.x has more to offer than 3.2 does. Just stick with your 4.2E and modify with one of the guides here.

5. happydance

Member happydance GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    you can... but it's not for newbies to attempt in their first time on a wii that can just install bootmii as ISO.

done some region changing on quite a few wii's, and you don't need to go to down 3.2 just to region 4.1 is fine

6. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    Yes, indeed it would be possible to go to 3.2

I did downgrade my japanese 4.1 Wii(kuro) to 3.2 withouth a problem. Oh and I changed region to 3.2E

But I never was on 4.2 with it.

Edit: I forgot to mention: You could play your retail games via USB loader... no hassle, no danger of bricking.

7. frenchderf

Newcomer frenchderf Advanced Member

Belgium
    As i experiment before and as Dai-a said. If you do not experience a brick in the process of region change to 4.2. You will certainly get a bluetooth black screen of death (wiimote will never sync again) or other problems. I worked with one almost saved by preloader but no success (region seems to be unset and bluetooth is dead because of unplugging wii when in off mode (red led))

So region change is OK until 4.1

Frenchderf

8. cearp
    OP

Tuvalu
    lol. i did it [​IMG]
    it was a kind of a long process, i had to downgrade to 4.0J from 4.1E, then trucha some stuff, before or after that (i forget) then use any region changer, then waninoko's region tool for one of it's options, then delete the rest over E channels, then install them via wiiscu, and now it's perfect [​IMG]
    well... i'm missing the photo channel, and when i download it via wiiscu, it doesn't appear... but it still shows up in anytitle deleter, so it is there.