Regarding 197.45 NVidia drivers

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by juggernaut911, Apr 19, 2010.

Apr 19, 2010
  1. juggernaut911
    OP

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Just a little heads up, after updating to that driver set a while ago I was getting crashes. Windows was claiming a BSOD but my monitor would be stuck on a frame (similar to overheating vid card symptoms) so I decided it was the drivers causing this ruckus so I reverted to the 197.13 set and L4D2 runs fine without the BSOD. Just thought this would be nice to know if you were recently crashing after this driver update.

2. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Thanks for the heads up! I installed them recently but I've only played Just Cause 2 lately. I do run SpeedFan in my system tray to monitor the temperature while playing and it hasn't gone above my normal temps.

I'll be sure to keep monitoring it now that you've mentioned this.

Also, no BSODs for me, yet.

3. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    The BSODs weren't due to temps, but the crash was similar to the temp crashes. Also, the BSODs weren't too frequent but a crash is a crash and it is frustrating while gaming.

Also, Just Cause 2 = 1337

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Did you actually check the error message to make sure it was a component of the drivers and not something else that wasn't playing nice with them?

5. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    Yes I did. Hal.dll and a few other hardware related system files were suddenly stopping. After reverting, they seemed fine and could keep the card under control.

6. Rydian

United States
    Hall isn't a component of the drivers, so it could have been something else tripping up, especially since you're the first I've seen to complain of this with these drivers. If it happens with the next driver version I'd look into it more.

7. juggernaut911
    OP

United States
    Whoops, I meant to mention the ntsokrnl.exe. I thought it was dal for a bit, guess that though lingered.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Have you tried updating your drivers again since then? It could be possible that the drivers corrupted during download and that your case was an isolated incident.

9. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Having a few issues with 197.45 also on Windows 7 x64. Occasionally aero will simply stop. It'll fix itself with time, or I need to reboot/relog. The video playback issue in Media Player Classic, which Nvidia claimed to have fixed still remains for me also. Thankfully no BSODs.

Slightly older driver version works better for me. Will stick with them until Nvidia release another driver version.

10. Rydian

United States
    In Vista/7 the graphics driver crashing won't cause a BSoD, windows will just unload the drivers and reload them, which is why Aero stops for you, the drivers are still crashing.

See if anybody on the nvidia forums is complaining?