Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You didn't read the article, did you?

QUOTE said:
Based on NPD figures (via Kotaku), Ubisoft's sequel, Red Steel 2, managed to sell 50,000 copies in its debut month of March -- up until the end of the NPD's catalog period, April 3. Admittedly the game was released at the tail-end of the month on March 23, but we'd still classify the sales as "decent."

A Ubisoft representative broke it down to Kotaku like so: "Considering that the NPD sales only accounted for 12 days on the store shelves and that NPD doesn't include all retailers we are looking forward to a complete month of sales data to see where we stand." We're anxious to see how it'll do in April and suggest you sheathe your "it's on Wii so it won't sell" sword until the April NPDs arrive.

It's almost up to half the sales of Dead Space Extraction, which was a REAL bomb. And it seems most people consider anything that doesn't push millions of copies a "bomb". I know the Wii has enormous software sales for Nintendo titles, but for third parties it's a different story. The "success" stories for third party Wii games are like Just Dance (an admittedly shitty game) which sold 2 million. Mario Kart Wii sold almost 22 million copies.

EDIT: And if it helps to know, the game was dumped insanely early. Like over a week early. I beat the game before it even reached shelves.

EDIT 2: VGCHARTZ.com lists it as .11 million sales for Red Steel 2, which is 110,000, across both USA and other regions (not Japan, though).

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just think that these types of games have no legs on the Wii. Wii is a system for people who want to play rockband, wiisports and just dance. It is not a system for Crysis 2 or anything else considered "hardcore".

Also, that is why the next wii system Nintendo releases is due to fail. First party title are awesome, but 3rd party titles will all be shovel ware.

The last great games on the Wii will be SMG2, Zelda and Metroid. This is also coming from a wii owner.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alucard77 said:
I just think that these types of games have no legs on the Wii. Wii is a system for people who want to play rockband, wiisports and just dance. It is not a system for Crysis 2 or anything else considered "hardcore".

Also, that is why the next wii system Nintendo releases is due to fail. First party title are awesome, but 3rd party titles will all be shovel ware.

The last great games on the Wii will be SMG2, Zelda and Metroid. This is also coming from a wii owner.

You obviously haven't played a lot of third party Wii games. The fact is the Wii has some of the best third party games I've played in a while, but people just drown them out with "OH LOOK AT THE SHOVELWARE" or the fact they sell bad.

MadWorld? It's fucking amazing. It's one of the finest games you'll play in a while.

Call of Duty 4 and 5? Both are solid games, and Wii controls work great. Some people actually abandon the more feature-filled Xbox 360/PS3 versions for the Wii one because of better controls. Oh, and both sell well. CoD5 is already over a million copies (that's only in the USA) and CoD4 is closing in on the 1 million mark (again, USA only).

Red Steel 2 itself was a great third party effort. Fantastic graphics, sharp controls, great presentation, and tons of fun.

You don't sound like a Wii owner in the sense of "I own only a Wii or owned only a Wii for a good deal of the time" but more in the sense of "I got a Wii but hardly touched it."

Also, Monster Hunter Tri already sold insanely well in Japan, either way they're satisfied with sales. And I'm already seeing a lot of people here say "I'm getting it day one!"

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild, all you're really doing in that response is justifying WHY it's pretty much a flop.

"For third parties it's different" - well of course it's a bomb, it wasn't nintendo published. OR It did really good for a 3rd party, which never do good, so it's the best of the worst?

People consider anything short of millions a bomb - Yes, pretty much. Whether you disagree with the industry and the communities expectations for success, that sucks and all, but it doesn't change the fact publishers want to move millions. Especially on a system that has what, 100 mil some systems world wide?

But it was pirated way early. - k? Another, well it would have done better, but it was super pirated. That doesn't take away from the fact it DIDN'T do well. Just another justification.

and alucard, you're half right and half wrong. Most of the people who are somewhat hardcore and own wiis have their system softmod'd. The other 99% don't care about these games. Also, I have faith in The Last Story & Xenoblade (not for pushing units mind you, just for quality RPGs)

I've never played RS2, i'm sure it's super. I can't play FPS games - i get motion sick. I'm not bashing the quality of the game. But 50k units is sad, although admittedly, as pointed out that's only the count for 2 weeks. Still, I'm pretty sure my individual gamestop pushed 50k units of FF13 for example. (The line sucked ass)

Trevordublin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe that the market is there for hardcore games on wii. Its becuase the piracy rates are so high I guess
rolleyes.gif

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not surprised that Red Steel 2 sold poorly myself... the controls and graphics are great, but the gameplay seemed a little repetitive to me... otherwise, +1 to everything else Guild said, there are some amazing 3rd party games on the Wii. On the non "Hardcore" side, we have Little Kings Story, Marble Saga, Trauma Center, Tiger Woods (totally diff on Wii then other systems), De Blob, the list goes on. On the "Hardcore" side, I would add HOD: Overkill, I love that game (I like gun games in general though).

I've never gotten people who only play "Hardcore" games though, you miss out on a lot of cool stuff in an effort to impress other people.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
what prob killed it was the controls you can't play this game sitting down unless you want to smack yourself in the back of the head plus the chuck cord isn't long enough and always gets in the way and you can't use cordless chucks with m+ i already tried. when i acquired it i only played it for about an hour than couldn't stand it anymore (standing)
tongue.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
what prob killed it was the controls you can't play this game sitting down unless you want to smack yourself in the back of the head plus the chuck cord isn't long enough and you can't use cordless chucks with m+ i already tried
tongue.gif

Most Wii games are meant to be played standing up.
But you can play Red Steel 2 sitting down fairly easily. The sword swinging motion doesn't require as much motion as it asks for.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
to do strong attacks you have to pull the mote right back past your head try doing that sitting in an armchair
tongue.gif
i play all my wii games sitting including MPT

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
alucard77 said:

You obviously haven't played a lot of third party Wii games. The fact is the Wii has some of the best third party games I've played in a while, but people just drown them out with "OH LOOK AT THE SHOVELWARE" or the fact they sell bad.

MadWorld? It's fucking amazing. It's one of the finest games you'll play in a while.

Call of Duty 4 and 5? Both are solid games, and Wii controls work great. Some people actually abandon the more feature-filled Xbox 360/PS3 versions for the Wii one because of better controls. Oh, and both sell well. CoD5 is already over a million copies (that's only in the USA) and CoD4 is closing in on the 1 million mark (again, USA only).

Red Steel 2 itself was a great third party effort. Fantastic graphics, sharp controls, great presentation, and tons of fun.

You don't sound like a Wii owner in the sense of "I own only a Wii or owned only a Wii for a good deal of the time" but more in the sense of "I got a Wii but hardly touched it."

Also, Monster Hunter Tri already sold insanely well in Japan, either way they're satisfied with sales. And I'm already seeing a lot of people here say "I'm getting it day one!"
What does having good games mean about decent sales? nothing. Just cuz its good doesn't mean it sells. I too love all the games you listed but most core games bomb at retail. Theres a couple of exceptions of course but how many time have we seen disappointing numbers? I just hope publishers ignore the numbers and still make us good games.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Very good point. A lot of people bought famously bad games like the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, that doesn't mean it was a great game. Conversely, something like Little Kings Story is, imho, an awesome game even though it's had very bad sales.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Bladexdsl said:
what prob killed it was the controls you can't play this game sitting down unless you want to smack yourself in the back of the head plus the chuck cord isn't long enough and always gets in the way and you can't use cordless chucks with m+ i already tried. when i acquired it i only played it for about an hour than couldn't stand it anymore (standing)
tongue.gif

Do you wear your pants on your head? You would have to go full retard to smack yourself in the back of the head with the wiimote. seriously.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
dudeonline said:
Bladexdsl said:
tongue.gif

Do you wear your pants on your head? You would have to go full retard to smack yourself in the back of the head with the wiimote. seriously.
read what i fucking said above try playing it sitting in an armchair or to YOU Americans a lazyboy/recliner!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
to do strong attacks you have to pull the mote right back past your head try doing that sitting in an armchair
tongue.gif
i play all my wii games sitting including MPT

I can easily do it in an armchair, because you don't actually need to do the full motion for a strong attack.
Just gotta figure out how.
If the sword mechanics actually worked well I wouldn't want to sit down anyways, but oh well.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think something worth commenting on this outside the fact it just had a few days to rack up that 50k, if it doesn't do well there really are 2 fantastic reasons why.

1) 3rd parties for the most part put poor or no effort into the Wii for a couple years and even then even 'name brand' stuff mostly came out watered down (rail shooters, etc.) Ubisoft who put this out was famous for the bad ports but also the games that end in Z stuff that's terrible but sells huge. Nintendo is to blame too as they didn't do any QC on what they'd allow a license or not, or what was allowed to ship without fixes combined with their whole 'lets get grandma and mom gaming' media too.

2) They named it after a million seller, a million seller with some of the worst and most delayed swing mechanics in a FPS on the system compounded by many other issues and those with good memories it make affect them.

Stuff like those two big issues have doomed a lot of good third party bigger name projects from selling well, or coming out watered down then selling badly too and it's because they ran off those types of 'core' gamer who get those things to the PS3 and stuff. Wii owners now I imagine are core 1st/2nd party pick up core gamers and Nintendo fans, then all the rest into those casual, party, fitness, and brain games that require little effort for large profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny