1. Illidanz

OP Illidanz Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    There were two Spice and Wolf games released for the NDS over a decade ago and the first game, Boku to Holo no Ichinen, has an equally long history of fan translation attempts, though none were ever completed.

I'm hoping to change that.

The first step was addressing some issues with the original tool created by jjjewel. It wasn't clear exactly what those issues were, so I went ahead and looked into the formats myself.
    I've been able to create a tool for extraction/insertion of text and images, which all seem to be working well, although as with any tools, it’s hard to know if there will be any unexpected errors until they crop up. Test examples below:
    [​IMG]

The good news is that I was able to implement automatic word wrapping, and that the script itself is flexible, allowing for extra sections of text to be added where translations might need more room which should hopefully aid translators.

Which brings me to my next point. I'm not a translator, and while @PhantomGhost has agreed to help out when finished with their other projects, neither of us are able to get this patch completed on our own.

The recent release of the Spice and Wolf VR game, and announcement of a sequel speak for themselves to show the fandom is still alive and kicking, so I couldn't think of a more perfect time to attempt to restart this project!

The second game (Umi wo Wataru Kaze) has a lot of similarities, meaning working on that may also be on the cards afterwards. Although, without translators, neither are going to get very far, so please get in touch, and help us to spread the word!

(Note: This is not an announcement of a project, but a recruitment thread to get it started, so please don’t send messages asking about progress or a release date. Info will be updated as and when things change)

Last edited by Illidanz, Apr 15, 2020
  2. PhantomGhost

PhantomGhost Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    A small update: We were able to get in touch with Adamer and AdanK85 about their work on GDrive, but unfortunately, neither of them have a more recent copy of the translations, so we are back to starting from the 2015 translation dump, which is certainly nothing to snub!

However, we are still very much in need of interested translators! If you're currently sat around in lockdown, this could be an excellent project to help take your mind of things, and get lost in a charming fantasy world! Please don't hesitate to get in touch!
    [​IMG]
    (And to clarify on the second game, whilst it's not exactly the same, it uses the same formats as the first so is still entirely feasible.)

3. violisto

violisto Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Not sure if you were aware of this, but it seems someone released a complete script translation on their Youtube channel a while back (though I myself only recently found it and I haven't looked at all of it to avoid spoilers). I can't post links, but here's the watch code to the first part: /watch?v=bB-aTWmhHu4

If it turns out that you can't use their translation or still need translators, I'd be willing to help out a bit.

k7ra likes this.
  4. PhantomGhost

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    @violisto Thank you for thinking of us! We have already spoken to RottenPantsu and got their permission to modify the text. It's not strictly a complete script as the game is quite non-linear with 11 different endings, but thanks to that, the translations we inherited from suruz's team, and the hard work of our own, overall translation progress has now reached 87%! :lol:

We're hoping to be able to move into the first pass of proofreading soon.

k7ra and TigerTiger like this.
  5. violisto

violisto Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    @PhantomGhost That's great to hear! In that case, I'll be patiently looking forward to future updates about the patch.

PhantomGhost likes this.
  6. PhantomGhost

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    We're back with some exciting news, the translation has reached 100%! Here are some more recent screenshots to celebrate;

[​IMG]

In an effort to release the full patch in a timely manner, we are now on the lookout for help with proofreading.

Ideally, we’re after someone who’s confident in their English abilities, and able to commit a large amount of time. This would be the first pass of proofreading, which means that the text has been translated and may or may not have been roughly glanced over, but it has not been inserted into the game and played through properly yet. So as well as the usual looking out for typos/flow etc, you’ll also be doing things like correcting text overflow by separating/shortening lines, and reporting any bugs that may show up.

No experience needed, just an emulator and a legal copy of the game! We'll give you full instructions on how to use the tool written by Illidan so you can see your changes update in the game in real time, and help us make sure Holo's wise words land just right :lol:

RikuKH, PockyChan, Haytham and 2 others like this.
  7. siglapian

siglapian Newbie
    Newcomer

Singapore
    Considering that I have just completed the S&W manga and all 21 light novels, I still can’t get enough of S&W and now that I have some free time to spare I am very interested to help.
    How do you I PM you? Let’s exchange emails to discuss further.

Last edited by siglapian, Oct 13, 2020
  8. PockyChan

PockyChan Newbie
    Newcomer

Denmark
    Hello

I have bought a copy of the game for Nintendo DS, and i will receive it within 10 days.
    I want to take part of this project as a game tester. I'm really happy to help anything spice and wolf related.

9. PhantomGhost

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I apologize for the late response to these messages! I didn't receive any email notifications, which I was rather expecting to :unsure:

I've sent you both a PM now!

PockyChan likes this.
  10. emcintosh

emcintosh On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat

United Kingdom
    I am a native speaker of [British] English and have some time. I have just ordered the game (and its sequel) from eBay. So I now OWN a copy, but don't have it physically yet. I will PM you for details of how to proceed.

PhantomGhost likes this.
  11. siglapian

siglapian Newbie
    Newcomer

Singapore
    Hi PhantomGhost, I have sent you an email. I still can’t PM here as I do not have enough posts.

Just in case it may have ended up in your junk folder - my email address is similar to my nick.

PhantomGhost likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [Recruiting], English, Spice