[Recruiting] Spice and Wolf English Patch

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Illidanz, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Illidanz
    OP

Illidanz Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2013
    Italy
    There were two Spice and Wolf games released for the NDS over a decade ago and the first game, Boku to Holo no Ichinen, has an equally long history of fan translation attempts, though none were ever completed.

I'm hoping to change that.

The first step was addressing some issues with the original tool created by jjjewel. It wasn't clear exactly what those issues were, so I went ahead and looked into the formats myself.
    I've been able to create a tool for extraction/insertion of text and images, which all seem to be working well, although as with any tools, it’s hard to know if there will be any unexpected errors until they crop up. Test examples below:
    [​IMG]

The good news is that I was able to implement automatic word wrapping, and that the script itself is flexible, allowing for extra sections of text to be added where translations might need more room which should hopefully aid translators.

Which brings me to my next point. I'm not a translator, and while @PhantomGhost has agreed to help out when finished with their other projects, neither of us are able to get this patch completed on our own.
    Currently, we only have access to the original translation dump left by Suruz in 2015, which is lacking all the work done by AdanK85 and other members of the first revival attempt. (If anyone has any info on those, do let me know!)
    Whether or not we are able to restore those files, there is still other work to be done on the translation front, so I'm hoping to find a team of dedicated translators interested in seeing this project through.

The recent release of the Spice and Wolf VR game, and announcement of a sequel speak for themselves to show the fandom is still alive and kicking, so I couldn't think of a more perfect time to attempt to restart this project!

The second game (Umi wo Wataru Kaze) has a lot of similarities, meaning working on that may also be on the cards afterwards. Although, without translators, neither are going to get very far, so please get in touch, and help us to spread the word!

(Note: This is not an announcement of a project, but a recruitment thread to get it started, so please don’t send messages asking about progress or a release date. Info will be updated as and when things change)

Last edited by Illidanz, Sep 9, 2019
    RedL, XICO2KX, Fel and 1 other person like this.